Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy that collapsed outside Away end

james93

Jan 18, 2009
Lewes
@suspolfootball has tweeted medical incident dealt with superbly by stewards, St John and police? Left asking what was the score.

Sussex police are so wrong I was first on the scene with a steward. We started the first aid whilst the assorted police officer held torches and ran around like headless chickens. We then had to deal with so called human beings walking over and through us without a care for the poor man who by that point we thought was dead. We were then joined by a doctor, St Johns and club medical staff. By this time the Police were in full panic mode.

As for the quote from Sussex Police that he left asking what the score was that is a joke. He left in an ambulance screaming in obvious agony in the very capable hands of paramedics and Doctors whilst the Police systematically disappeared from the area all apart from two very nice female officers who handed me over to a very nice couple of St Johns ambulance members and the Stadium manager as I was in obvious shock.

The man was at two separate times very much dead.

Feb 14, 2010
Sussex police are so wrong I was first on the scene with a steward. We started the first aid whilst the assorted police officer held torches and ran around like headless chickens. We then had to deal with so called human beings walking over and through us without a care for the poor man who by that point we thought was dead. We were then joined by a doctor, St Johns and club medical staff. By this time the Police were in full panic mode.

As for the quote from Sussex Police that he left asking what the score was that is a joke. He left in an ambulance screaming in obvious agony in the very capable hands of paramedics and Doctors whilst the Police systematically disappeared from the area all apart from two very nice female officers who handed me over to a very nice couple of St Johns ambulance members and the Stadium manager as I was in obvious shock.

If this account is true then again questions have to be asked about police honesty yet again. Why do the police feel the need to lie, make things up, instead of just being professional and dealing with what is, rather than what they want things to be so to try to make themselves look good? The police really do need a shake up if a lie, no matter how small is considered acceptable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This account seems to disagree with the account by james93 quoted below
I was passing the poor guy. The stewards were called and went straight into their routine. Medical help very fast. No panic even from the lad whose job is to direct the bus queues. They all knew exactly what to do and who to call.
I do have one question though. I saw an ambulance arrive a few minutes later from the main A27 although not sure where it went. Do we have ambulances on site?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Saw this incident yesterday as a passer by and can not comment on the details except that there it looked like it was being handled well.

Anyway - joined queue for Mithras House bus and a bloke stands next to me and suddenly doubles up, goes purple and says he cant breathe. He was obvoiusly in major distress so we call steward who radios for help - and replies they are dealing with a major incident elsewhere. Stewards do nothing else to help. I ask bloke if he needs to sit down and take off coat to put on floor (it was raining). He cant reply as he can't breath. I was thinking I may have to put my 1 day St Johns course into action when another supporter says he is a para medic and takes over.

The bloke does eventually recover.

I guess there was something in the air.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sussex police could've been tweeting 're a different incident... that is possible..

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
steward who radios for help - and replies they are dealing with a major incident elsewhere. Stewards do nothing else to help. I ask bloke if he needs to sit down and take off coat to put on floor (it was raining). He cant reply as he can't breath. I was thinking I may have to put my 1 day St Johns course into action when another supporter says he is a para medic and takes over.

Appalling from the stewards who should have radioed back and stated it was a possible emergency case. Also, what took the paramedic so long to identify himself? He seemed to not want to get involved initially? :shrug:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I saw the guy being treated yesterday. I was with my dad yesterday who had a cardiac arrest outside the ground in november 2011 after the Coventry game. my dad was resuscitated by the St Johns ambulance guys with a defribilator. The first aid at the Amex is first class. They have 8 defribilators around the ground donated by the Sussex Heart Charity and staff are trained in using them. My dad had excellent care at the Royal Sussex Hospital afterwards. Let's hope this guy makes a good recovery. No one wants these things to happen or witness them but we should be proud of the way that the club has the medic equipment and staff in place to use it to help save lives.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If this account is true then again questions have to be asked about police honesty yet again. Why do the police feel the need to lie, make things up, instead of just being professional and dealing with what is, rather than what they want things to be so to try to make themselves look good? The police really do need a shake up if a lie, no matter how small is considered acceptable.[/

james93

Jan 18, 2009
Lewes
I have received an email via the clubs stadium ops manager after my father emailed him thanking them for the care I was also given after the incident. It is good news about the man concerned also. The email is below

Geoff

I will pass on your thanks to those involved. Your family should be very proud of his reaction to an awful situation that he found himself in. His assistance at a very early stage almost certainly had a major impact on the final outcome which is that following an emergency operation, the gent concerned is conscious and talking and expected to make a full recovery.

Best Wishes

Richard

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I saw the guy being treated yesterday. I was with my dad yesterday who had a cardiac arrest outside the ground in november 2011 after the Coventry game. my dad was resuscitated by the St Johns ambulance guys with a defribilator. The first aid at the Amex is first class. They have 8 defribilators around the ground donated by the Sussex Heart Charity and staff are trained in using them. My dad had excellent care at the Royal Sussex Hospital afterwards. Let's hope this guy makes a good recovery. No one wants these things to happen or witness them but we should be proud of the way that the club has the medic equipment and staff in place to use it to help save lives.

I saw this yesterday, and I also saw your dad back in November 2011. Both incidents made me feel sick, and I'm so glad to hear that your dad was back at the Amex, and that this guy is apparently on the mend.

Another fella collapsed in front of me and my then 9 year old son, at Withdean, and he did not survive, despite heroic efforts from stewards and paramedics who were on the scene within seconds. That will stay with me, and my son (who was with me for all three incidents) for ever. Horrible.

seagullwatcher1

Feb 10, 2013

James hope you are OK now dont forget the advice given to you and well done

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
James hope you are OK now dont forget the advice given to you and well done

Yes please do, I'm reminded of an incident a few years back when I was an aircraft engineer. The aircraft had been towed into the hangar and I lowered the undercarriage doors, one of the maintenance workers walked past and nearly collapsed. I've never seen a person turn so white before (surprising as he was an Indian chap). He could barely speak but pointed to the top of the undercarriage. There, wrapped around the structure was a frozen body. Obviously a stow-away we contacted the authorities and as it turned out a further body was found in a field just short of Gatwick. However the point I make is the affect it had on the maintenance chap. He suffered badly and his health deteriorated to such an extent he was off work for a long time.

Dealing with an incident you don't expect or are not trained for can have a real affect on people. Help though is not far away, use it and well done!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Saw this incident yesterday as a passer by and can not comment on the details except that there it looked like it was being handled well.

Anyway - joined queue for Mithras House bus and a bloke stands next to me and suddenly doubles up, goes purple and says he cant breathe. He was obvoiusly in major distress so we call steward who radios for help - and replies they are dealing with a major incident elsewhere. Stewards do nothing else to help. I ask bloke if he needs to sit down and take off coat to put on floor (it was raining). He cant reply as he can't breath. I was thinking I may have to put my 1 day St Johns course into action when another supporter says he is a para medic and takes over.

I guess there was something in the air.

Were they two separate incidents?

Appalling from the stewards who should have radioed back and stated it was a possible emergency case. Also, what took the paramedic so long to identify himself? He seemed to not want to get involved initially? :shrug:

He may have been walking up the road to the free buses and not waiting in the queue. Or were you there and saw it? (genuine question)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here