Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gutted

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Pretty damning post by the OP - but I can't help but wonder if he would have made it were Dick Knight still in charge? My guess would be not.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This evening is as depressing as when Southampton drew 0-0 with Spurs in 1978. Virtually managerless, rudderless - a joke after all our efforts in securing our stadium at Falmer. What actually has gone on at our Club in recent weeks? Who is to blame for the wheels coming off so spectacularly -were cracks being papered over for several months or did it all go pear shaped in May? We should be told, but of course we never will be.

Oh and has the poogate culprit been identified? Surely we can at least be told that - and that disciplinary proceedings are underway.

As someone who hasn't invested many millions in the Club, I feel absolutely gutted. I'm sure though that all the key players who were so united in months gone by, must feel a whole lot worse tonight.

Hard to think anything other than the point we reached going into the second leg of the play-off semi-final was the high water mark in the club's fortunes for quite some time. It's a total rebuild job now. Damn shame for the fans and a sickener for the chairman, because the infrastructure of the club is absolutely ready for the Premier League. Unfortunately the playing side has been left in complete disarray. And while on one level the club is trying its damnest to make itself a class act with opera singers and the like, there's also ferals literally shitting in their own back yard. Halfway between the gutter and the stars as it were.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This evening is as depressing as when Southampton drew 0-0 with Spurs in 1978. Virtually managerless, rudderless - a joke after all our efforts in securing our stadium at Falmer. What actually has gone on at our Club in recent weeks? Who is to blame for the wheels coming off so spectacularly -were cracks being papered over for several months or did it all go pear shaped in May? We should be told, but of course we never will be.

Oh and has the poogate culprit been identified? Surely we can at least be told that - and that disciplinary proceedings are underway.

As someone who hasn't invested many millions in the Club, I feel absolutely gutted. I'm sure though that all the key players who were so united in months gone by, must feel a whole lot worse tonight.

Paul, you mention 1978.

Remember what happened the following year?

BUT, this IS dragging on too long now. It will be two weeks on Thursday, and needs sorting out. Even if its an interim, or holding statement, after all shouldn't Barber know that in business you have to keep your 'customers' informed.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Hard to think anything other than the point we reached going into the second leg of the play-off semi-final was the high water mark in the club's fortunes for quite some time. It's a total rebuild job now. Damn shame for the fans and a sickener for the chairman, because the infrastructure of the club is absolutely ready for the Premier League. Unfortunately the playing side has been left in complete disarray. And while on one level the club is trying its damnest to make itself a class act with opera singers and the like, there's also ferals literally shitting in their own back yard. Halfway between the gutter and the stars as it were.

If we had played and lost to Leicester, having finished forth, and Gus had come out and said we'll be back stronger next season, we'd be feeling very different.

As it is, we didn't turn up in the second leg, Gus got his tactics wrong, threw his toys out of the pram, and we lost to palace, not Leicester. The fact that they went up makes it worse.

But, come the 4th of August, we'll have a high quality replacement manager, the majority of the squad will still be with us, and those who aren't will have been replaced with players of an equal stature and ability.

We'll be fine, we will get to the Premier League, it's when not if.

Meanwhile, we get 23 home games next season the majority of which will kick off at 3oclock on aSaturday!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Pretty damning post by the OP - but I can't help but wonder if he would have made it were Dick Knight still in charge? My guess would be not.

Having heard and seen the OP give Knight and Perry both barrels in order to avoid potentially self inflicted gun shot wounds to the foot in the past, then his frustration would likely be at the same level but I believe he would have felt he'd had his say. Rather like he has here on this thread.

There are many changes ongoing at the club. The manager is a small part of it. When they happen, some I'm sure the fans will universally like and support. Some likely less so. And some may alter significant community elements of the club that were so key to getting planning permission in the first place. Its those changes, if handled poorly that could really erode some of the hard work of many.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
It's almost like people want to panic and criticise just because we haven't had much of a chance to do so in the last three years.

You are agreeing with me? Christ.

I think it would be causing too much mischief to say that some people are revelling in the chance of panicking and criticising because since Tony Bloom took the helm officially there hasn't been the chance to do that at all.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I know that a few people did an awful lot to save this club but the absolute FACT is that without Tony Blooms cash we would now be insolvent and have no stadium. Considering the frankly STAGGERING level of investment he has put into the club he is well within his rights to run the club how he sees fit to protect his investment. Some people seem to have a big problem that they are no longer part of the inner clique of the club. This is the new world, get used to it.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
And some may alter significant community elements of the club that were so key to getting planning permission in the first place. Its those changes, if handled poorly that could really erode some of the hard work of many.

Unfortunately, such is the way of modern football that I can see no way that a team who wants to succeed at this level and certainly in the Premier League can have the set up of the Vicar of Dibley committee and expect to do so.

Tony Bloom has every right to expect to make at least a little back of some of the £120m+ he has spent on the club so far. And that won't happen if he is concerned about keeping a small section of the support who are used to being on first name terms with the board happy. It certainly won't happen when, given record pie sales, attendance and hospitality figures we are still managing to make an £8m loss.

Without him, there would be no Amex. He's got every right to run things as he sees fit and if a small clique of people don't like it because they aren't in the know anymore than that's a price I daresay most Albion fans would be willing to pay.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having heard and seen the OP give Knight and Perry both barrels in order to avoid potentially self inflicted gun shot wounds to the foot in the past, then his frustration would likely be at the same level but I believe he would have felt he'd had his say. Rather like he has here on this thread.

There are many changes ongoing at the club. The manager is a small part of it. When they happen, some I'm sure the fans will universally like and support. Some likely less so. And some may alter significant community elements of the club that were so key to getting planning permission in the first place. Its those changes, if handled poorly that could really erode some of the hard work of many.

Most people are rushing in to stick the boot into the manager who apparently threw in the towel against our rivals, they are blinded to what else is going on.
Why were two managers in AITC replaced by an Amex man?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

FFS move in, the past is history as the majority of the fans are clueless as to what we were and are only interested in what happens now.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bring it on. BHAFC is far too keen to help kids/retards etc rather than focus on its job, which is to produce a winning football team. I don't really care if 1,000 people have been taught how to use Microsoft Word, tie their own shoelaces or kick a ball around a park. I just want Ulloa to score goals and Kuszczak to save them. Let's get our priorities right and divert ALL resources to the playing staff rather than trying to be a professional football club and a glorified scout group all the time.

A man close to my heart, we are different gravy now so the history really is what it is.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Most people are rushing in to stick the boot into the manager who apparently threw in the towel against our rivals, they are blinded to what else is going on.

Wasn't that to do with AITC also running at a signifcant loss? Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure how community projects like that are meant not to but there is probably more that could be done to stem those.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Quite probably as AITC is a total waste of space, Junior did it for a year and it was a car crash in organisation as far as I was concerned. Wasted a year of his life but hopefully he has loads of years left.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because a professional from one of the biggest companies in the world that also sticks a hell of a lot of money into our club is probably a better option than a couple of misfits from the Withdean years?

I'm not talking about ex players, or as you , direspect fully referred to them as misfits(inc your hero FDM) but the managers, who won national awards for our Community work.
I would have thought Brighton fans would have been more wary than most of money men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here