Gutted

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
next season, for the first time ever playing in a lower league, we are going to have a larger average home crowd than Palace . :lolol:

You keep counting the crowd, we'll count the money :clap::clap::clap:

rome wasn't built in a day is a very apt phrase for us at present.

For the last 10+ years leading up to the amex we've been clearing the surrounding areas of barbarians looking to take us down.

We're now in the phase of laying slabs, fortifying our strong hold and looking to build up our troop numbers.

So far this has gone very well.

Now we enter the phase were we look to consolidate what we have so that the foundation for future growth of the empire is well constructed and secure.

Once that's in place only then can we look to expand our ideas and conquests.

If you are expecting us to pay Rome cafe prices up in the Balmer shelf there will be uproar:ohmy:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Without wishing to speculate, it was widely reported that Gus failed to deal with the retained list so my feeling is that perhaps he was told which players we could afford to keep and which we couldn't and that (rightly or wrongly) is what caused the fall-out.

As far as the silence is concerned, it is truly deafening - and I'm amazed that even the press don't seem to have a sniff about what is going on. Would have thought Naylor would have uncovered something by now.

Don't buy that as bar Vicente (doubt he would have signed after what he said even if offered one) everyone on that list has been signed up or offered contracts. Bridge, Upson and Hammond might have been different though.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
And, although I don't like him, it's not Barber's fault. He has been brought in to sort out a mess. Ask yourselves how, with the best attendance in the league, massive merchandise sales, huge amounts of food and drink quaffed, record amount of corporates and a comparatively modest playing budget, our losses are greater than Palace's? Someone appears to have messed up big time and Barber has been tasked with sorting it out. He's the cure not the problem. Let's hope the medicine doesn't kill the patient.

Whilst the playing budget (in transfer terms) might be modest, the wage bill (and signing on fees etc) probably are not. The answer lies in the number of youth and academy players we will be bringing into the first team set-up in the future.

There are plenty of managers who throw a hissy fit as soon as you tell them they cannot have what they want. Poyet is hardly unique in that respect. The problem is that most managers just get on with it and make the best job they can out of the resources they have at their disposal.

Dare I say it, someone like Barry Lloyd (or his modern equivalent).

I don't really feel particularly concerened about what Paul Barber is doing, simply because we all know what the dire consequences of running up huge losses can be, long term.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If this is the case and the club is serious about FFP then (I'm going to include depreciation because I'm sensible) in two years time the wage bill needs to have dropped to £13m (simplistic I know). Only two ways that happens 1)we have a weaker team than our last season at Falmer or 2)Players wage demands drop. Is there any indication that 2) is happening/will happen?

Yeah but those players who were playing this season will also be 2 years closer to ending their careers, and with the avaerage age of our squad, a substantial number will have been replaced by then anyway.

Replacing them with up and coming youngsters is a better long term prospect than with mature professionals approaching the twighlight of their playing days.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
next season, for the first time ever playing in a lower league, we are going to have a larger average home crowd than Palace . :lolol:

4716388-3x2-700x467.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

That is fantastic....how many points start over the rest of the division does that give us then?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
To be honest we still need to find our feet in The Championship. A couple more seasons at this level will give us a better chance of staying in the Premier League for more than one season when we get promoted. If we stick to the FFP guidelines we'll be doing it the honest way because cheats never prosper in the long run.

It seems to me that cheats do prosper. Be certain of one thing: that every sentient Palace fan knows, somewhere in the deepest recess of his heart, that his club has been to financial probity what Ronnie Corbett is to sumo wrestling and, by some oversight on the part of Justice, been rewarded for its troubles.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Being an accountant you are probably more aware than most on here, myself included, of the need for financial prudence. Losses of £8m per season were unsustainable so a trouble shooter/hatchet man was brought in to stem the losses,

As a result of the actions taken by that man we have lost a very good management team who have seen their vision and aims for the future taken from them. We are now in a position of having an efficient trouble shooter for the business and no management team. The immediate future and outlook of the business looks good but for the team and supporters not so. I think that it is highly likely that the likes of Bridge Upson Lopez etc will be replaced by lower standard players but I do most sincerely hope that I am barking up the wrong tree, but it would explain Gus sudden change of attitude and outburst. I have been slated for this view but I firmly believe that TB put most of his eggs in 1 basket for promotion this year, which hasn't happened so there will be drastic cut backs for a couple of seasons and mid table mediocrity beckons.

Is the record stuck Granddad? Cut the negative diatribe, and PLEASE STOP spouting about something you know nothing about. OK?

Feb 14, 2010
This is a game changer for Palace. A club that has made itself insolvent and as such has little debt. Their small crowds will double over night and they will be able to invest. Poyets failure to beat a club with 15000 paying punters to promotion when at a club with 30,000 paying punters and ex England internationals in the side has allowed them to gain the upper hand. Brighton have yet again clutched defeat from the jaws of victory and I hope every one of us will take a hard nosed attitude to the Albion next year and that then might just rub off on our players. The players let us down last year and I hope they get told that by whoever the manager is next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports