Gus to Chelsea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I heard the radio report in which Gus clearly stated that he would not consider a No 2 position and that he preferred a No 1,but he did not confirm that he would continue at Brighton. This information could well interest West Ham and other Premiership clubs.

GP has always said he wants to manage at the highest level, with us or without us. No top-flight club will take a punt on him without evidence, and getting a club out of Division 3 is hardly the CV to get pulses racing. Hence the contract he signed, giving him time to work some Poyet magic and get us to be a very decent Champ. side. And he will then leave us with all of my blessings.

You can stop stirring the pot now. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Exactly, as PeterWard put it, why would he want to go to Chelsea as AM. That's the question I rightfully put on the radio phone in, what will his decision be based on, his head (money) or more hopefully his heart (desire to prove himself as his own man going places with a club going places). I cant see it myself but when has anyone in football been honest.

Problem I'm afraid though is that my sources are solid

Not many posters get up my nose, but you are firmly rammed up there with your scaremongering, doom mongering and pretence of inside knowledge. You've appeared from nowhere, stated the obvious about Kaz's ankle as insider info and frankly I suspect you are a literate windup merchant.

Sources solid? I'd say rather runny after this little escapade.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No top-flight club will take a punt on him without evidence, and getting a club out of Division 3 is hardly the CV to get pulses racing.

I'm not sure that's true. Got Martinez the Wigan job and winning Div 4 got Ince the Blackburn job. If a lower prem team were to get rid of their manager in the summer and we'd just been promoted i'd be a little worried.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I'm not sure that's true. Got Martinez the Wigan job and winning Div 4 got Ince the Blackburn job. If a lower prem team were to get rid of their manager in the summer and we'd just been promoted i'd be a little worried.
And look how well they both worked out!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Argus today has a small piece on this saying it was all nonsense.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
And look how well they both worked out!

Martinez isn't doing too badly in all fairness! Ince was clealry out of his depth from the start due to his neanderthal tactics. Still not a clue what Blackburn were doing when they appointed him. The style of football Gus plays will get certainly getting him recognised.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Martinez isn't doing too badly in all fairness! Ince was clealry out of his depth from the start due to his neanderthal tactics. Still not a clue what Blackburn were doing when they appointed him. The style of football Gus plays will get certainly getting him recognised.
Agreed Martinez seems to have picked it up a bit but did also look hopelessly out of his depth initially.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's great news that the Chelsea position has been filled but I don't think it proves Gus's loyalty to the Albion. No. 2 positions are so volatile, you can be doing a great job but if the manager under-performs you can be out with them in no time, as Gus knows working with Ramos.

The number of managers sacked this season is well down on a normal season, and that's good news for us. The one to watch out for is West Ham: Grant out, Warnock in, Poyet in is feasible.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So the timeline goes something like this:
Chelsea sack Wilkins
Chelsea announce intention to appoint replacement from within
Media get bored and start naming famous ex-Chelsea players
Chelsea appoint replacement from within

?

In more detail:

Gus declines opportunity to go as number 2 to real madrid, stating he wants to be a number 1
Chelsea sack Wilkins
Tony Bloom interview mentions he wouldn't stand in gus's way if he wanted to leave for a bigger club.
Chelsea announce intention to appoint replacement from within
Media get bored and start naming famous ex-Chelsea players
Gus rules out a return (5live)
This thread is started
Gus rules out a return (Sky sports)
OP insists discussions ongoing, including TB trying to stand in Gus's way/convince him to stay
Chelsea appoint replacement from within

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports