Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to blame

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Is Gus also to blame for us being six matches unbeaten and having 20 shots today?

No he is not to blame, but 20 shots at goal and only 1 scored does suggest that there is something not right.

As Manager his job is to sort it out and perhaps starting with either Dobbie or Hoskins is worth trying especially against Bristol City

Feb 21, 2009
Gus is to blame in my view so the thread topic is relevant, why oh flaming why does he persist in putting 3 holding midfielders on the pitch at one time.
Yes Ash was poor but it needed Dobbie or Dicker on to keep hold of the ball and take the pressure off by controlling the game.

I am gutted tonite a fantastic performance, Orlandi's was the best iv'e seen at the Amex so far, even beating Emnes (1st season) and Vicente against Derby for me.

But in my view Gus is to blame for shoddy tactics, i love Gus however im worried when we need to see a game out he makes mistake after mistake with poor substitutions. No wonder Tarrico was livid!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why why why does he persist with Barnes. What the hell is wrong with starting Dobbie or Hoskins. They need a fair crack now as I'm afraid Barnes is not up to it. His confidence must be shot to bits. Can you not see that Gus ?

Come on Gus start with two upfront on Tuesday for gods sake !!!

Boy I'm p@ssed off tonight.

You dickhead, Barnes didn't play well and should be dropped but it's nothing to do with why we drew today. We absolutely pissed on them, using Barnes as a scapegoat for a lucky last minute goal is just twattish.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You dickhead, Barnes didn't play well and should be dropped but it's nothing to do with why we drew today. We absolutely pissed on them, using Barnes as a scapegoat for a lucky last minute goal is just twattish.

This, hes being made to sound worse than he was. Bad day yes so drop him whilst he pulls himself together again, also puts the fire up his arse that way, more so if Hoskins/Dobbie have a good game in his place.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Instead of f**king around with it at the end of the game, trying to keep it in the corner, we should have kept pressing for the 2nd goal, and wound the clock down that way rather than pussy-footing around with it.

I thought we were actaually coping with pretty much everything they threw at us. And then we made the substitutions and that seemed to throw us off our stride, and then we became a team that couldn't find each other for toffee.

Admittedly it could and should have been all over before they scored, with the woodwork and misses causing us to only record 1 point instead of all 3!

At least we attacked pretty convincingly for most of this match, and the players finally didn't appear to be frightened of having a go from outside the box!

And I thought will all the action, the crowd generated one of the best atmosphere's at an Albion game for some time that I was at!

Overall, disappointed with only 1 point when we should have had all 3. But happy that we actually had a go at Bolton. Just hope we can carry this forward to Tuesday night. The only scary thing is Bristol City had a bloody good result at Middlesborough today! :eek:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes because -

1) Gus can see into the future and knows if Barnes was going to have a shit day or not.
And 2) Gus wasnt exactly holding Barnes' hand each time he missed an easy chance.

CMS wasnt exactly brilliant today either - dont see you slagging him off. Barnes was the worst player out there though so he should be dropped - give Hoskins a chance.

No but he is in charge of substitutions and he left it until 76 minutes before taking Barnes off.

Is Gus also to blame for us being six matches unbeaten and having 20 shots today?

Good use of statistics. What about only two wins in the last 11!

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing

Read the thread title you 'prick' Gus's tactics and team selection, substitutions plays a big part in the outcome of a game. Dickhead !!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Instead of f**king around with it at the end of the game, trying to keep it in the corner, we should have kept pressing for the 2nd goal, and wound the clock down that way rather than pussy-footing around with it.

I thought we were actaually coping with pretty much everything they threw at us. And then we made the substitutions and that seemed to throw us off our stride, and then we became a team that couldn't find each other for toffee.

Admittedly it could and should have been all over before they scored, with the woodwork and misses causing us to only record 1 point instead of all 3!

At least we attacked pretty convincingly for most of this match, and the players finally didn't appear to be frightened of having a go from outside the box!

And I thought will all the action, the crowd generated one of the best atmosphere's at an Albion game for some time that I was at!

Overall, disappointed with only 1 point when we should have had all 3. But happy that we actually had a go at Bolton. Just hope we can carry this forward to Tuesday night. The only scary thing is Bristol City had a bloody good result at Middlesborough today! :eek:

i'll disagree with the bit about dicking about...apart from the player who got caught offside was a twat.....re Bro result...crazy isent it..and just goes to show what can happen in this division on any given day....even leeds beating CP was a shock on current form

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Why why why does he persist with Barnes. What the hell is wrong with starting Dobbie or Hoskins. They need a fair crack now as I'm afraid Barnes is not up to it. His confidence must be shot to bits. Can you not see that Gus ?

Come on Gus start with two upfront on Tuesday for gods sake !!!

Boy I'm p@ssed off tonight.

You're pissed off, everytime I take my seat and wait for the team line up and then hear number 9 I just cringe with anger.

What was the point of taken Barnes off with five minutes to go? He should of been replaced at half time.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Barnes wasn't the only bod guilty of that ..easy target though isent he

Very easy target as he ain't good enough. His miss from the REBOUND of HIS missed penalty was f**king lame, I could have done better.

Moving on, CMS ain't good enough to be a lead striker, scuffed chance after scuffed chance. If our forward line is not dramitically improved in January, we aint going up, end

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The fact is we should have at least 6 points more than we currently have. Leeds/Wolves and again today, we should be in the top three with ease. We are just not nasty enough on the pitch, we need to put teams to the sword and bury them, as we should have done today. This weak underbelly of the side could well end up costing us a play off spot, when with all the points we are dropping we should be up there fighting for the top 2 spots.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Gus is to blame because he is the manager and it is his responsibility to pick a winning side. The team he chose today was perfect, with one exception. His tactics were spot on. I've never seen such a one-sided match. We could have been 4 or 5 up at half-time, but all the confidence we showed drained away after, not only the penalty miss, but also the rebound. I expect 25,000 supporters there today were hoping Barnes would be subbed at half-time. He was appalling and got worse after the penalty miss. He was walking around with his head in his hands, he spent 20 minutes hiding, not wanting the ball. His confidence was shot !!. A good manager would have relieved him of his nightmare and subbed him. Instead he left him on, meaning we virtually played the remainder of the half with 10 men. No doubt he geed him up at half-time and sent him out again, but the first thing he did was waste a fantastic chance with an air shot and yet another opportunity was wasted. I dont want this to sound like a witch hunt, but he was abysmal today and it did his confidence no good leaving him on. It also effects the rest of the team. I couldn't believe it when he took the ball when the penalty was awarded. I think his ego must be bigger than his brain. It was a poorly hit penalty and the follow up was just unbelievable. I actually genuinely felt sorry for him. So why does Gus persevere with him when we have Dobbie and Hoskins on the bench. We have all seen enough of Barnes to know his limitations, so why cant we see a bit more of Hoskins and Dobbie. If they cant displace Barnes after a performance like today, they never will.
I feel very frustrated at seeing yet another game totally dominated by us, only yield 1 point. There has to be a reason why this is so, and I suggest it is Ashley Barnes.
Give him a rest Gus, it'll do him and the rest of the team the world of good.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The fact is we should have at least 6 points more than we currently have. Leeds/Wolves and again today, we should be in the top three with ease. We are just not nasty enough on the pitch, we need to put teams to the sword and bury them, as we should have done today. This weak underbelly of the side could well end up costing us a play off spot, when with all the points we are dropping we should be up there fighting for the top 2 spots.

the fact as you state is totally correct

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
1/ Barnes is shite
2 / why did dobbie not come on
3/ why did crofts come on
4/ 20 shots 1 goal.
5/ Poyet is at fault he makes the decisions

We pay our money and can have an opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here