Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus SAVES Sunderland

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Gus is quality and hopefully soon Oscar will show us how good he is by taking us a step further, I much prefer the style we played with Gus but that is my preference. Lets hope we finish the job this time :)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Good firefighter. Similar to Slade. Let's see how Gus does with a full season up there.

Yeah, Gus was rubbish after saving us in his first season...

Bravo Gus - whatever team he manages, they will believe they can succeed. It amazes me to hear Brighton fans talking about next year automatic promotion - it's almost as if our season is already over. This is what we lost when Gus left, that belief we can succeed now

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Bravo Gus - whatever team he manages, they will believe they can succeed. It amazes me to hear Brighton fans talking about next year automatic promotion - it's almost as if our season is already over. This is what we lost when Gus left, that belief we can succeed now

Gosh, how right you are. Look at the leadership he provided on May 13th 2013:-

"I will sit down, ..... check where is the roof - did we hit the roof today?"

"I'm under contract but I need to analyse my personal career."

"Financial Fair Play is coming next year, it's going to hit everybody including us, and we've got a few problems."

"To go up we need to get better. I don't think so."

"It doesn't matter how many years you sign a contract, it doesn't matter."

My, how we have missed that inspiring leadership this season. :facepalm:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Gosh, how right you are. Look at the leadership he provided on May 13th 2013:-

"I will sit down, ..... check where is the roof - did we hit the roof today?"

"I'm under contract but I need to analyse my personal career."

"Financial Fair Play is coming next year, it's going to hit everybody including us, and we've got a few problems."

"To go up we need to get better. I don't think so."

"It doesn't matter how many years you sign a contract, it doesn't matter."

My, how we have missed that inspiring leadership this season. :facepalm:

Yep. I remember that. After the most gut retching feeling losing that match, spending ages getting home after being diverted on the A23. I thought I would listen to the post interview from Gus, looking for something positive about how we would regroup go again etc.. But all we got was the above. At that moment I really ******* hated him. I have mellowed some what since and I can see the good he did. But I would never want him near our club again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think anyone ever doubted his ability
Oh they did. KevTheRev was one of the most vocal, but there were quite a few that thought he wasn't good enough for us. And I'm talking about managerial ability, not the fact that he's a cock.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Oh they did. KevTheRev was one of the most vocal, but there were quite a few that thought he wasn't good enough for us. And I'm talking about managerial ability, not the fact that he's a cock.

I stand corrected.... of course he is going to be even more of an insufferable arrogant prick now.. isn't he!

I wonder what the betting is on Gus as the next Man U manager!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I stand corrected.... of course he is going to be even more of an insufferable arrogant prick now.. isn't he!
Kev? Not at all, he's a reformed character. Brighton have surpassed his expectations this season, and he can hardly say Gus is rubbish after turning Sunderland around so dramatically. Although saying that, I can he see him telling us he told us so, when we get dumped out of the playoffs.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Although saying that, I can he see him telling us he told us so, when we get dumped out of the playoffs.

If.... If we get dumped out the play offs!

No I meant Gus don't know Kev at all....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think anyone ever doubted his ability just his honesty and his loyalty.

seventh longest serving manager in the country at the time of his departure? something like that anyway

You may be right. Personally I think our best chance of automatic promotion was last season, before FFP - there were a couple of games where we threw away the handful of points that would have guaranteed us automatic promotion.

There has to be a very serious question whether Poyet would have walked out at some point this season, given our commitment to FFP. If he wasn't happy a year ago then I fear he would have well and truly thrown his toys out of the pram at some point. After all we were the form team going into the play offs for promotion to the Prem with all the accolades that could follow for Poyet himself if he completed the job. We had all to play for with 20 mins or so left in the 2nd leg but he showed no conspicuous desire or motivation towards his players. He owes many fans an explanation for that.

We should not forget some of his public statements regarding his interest in jobs elsewhere, plus it emerged later that he asked to be released from his contract despite us being close to the play offs. Don't forget how many Prem managerial vacancies have occurred this season and you have to wonder just how he would have resisted some of these......

Ultimately that he was sacked after appeal for gross misconduct which suggests to me that his head just wasn't in it. I suspect his situation undermined morale in the dressing room around the time of the play offs. Hence my question about how he would have coped with a smaller budget under FFP?

I enjoyed the footie played under Gus, it cannot be denied that he took us to new levels in so many ways but it is easy to overlook that there were also some poor phases and he often didn't have a plan 'B'.

It isn't fair to compare Gus and Oscar as they are working under different conditions - IMHO it would be fairer to do so when Oscar has had a similar term in charge and if he ever gets enjoy a similar transfer budget while retaining his best players.

I agree that our best chance was last season, even though the team in August this year was better than in August 13, just more competitive teams around us this year. Having said that, Burnley...

But I do think he would have left in the autumn, quite possibly to Sunderland, a la Coppell and Adams before him. But we would have avoided an awful lot of rancour and wailing and gnashing of teeth, and Gus leaving with fondness instead of anger would have been, well, better.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sunderland haven't had a bad season and were only bottom for so long because they kept carrying games in hand.

Oh dear. They were terrible until Gus joined.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yep. I remember that. After the most gut retching feeling losing that match, spending ages getting home after being diverted on the A23. I thought I would listen to the post interview from Gus, looking for something positive about how we would regroup go again etc.. But all we got was the above. At that moment I really ******* hated him. I have mellowed some what since and I can see the good he did. But I would never want him near our club again.

It's funny how it's perfectly OK for fans to say things like that after a crushing defeat, but when the manager says it the poor sensitive fans all throw a hissy fit. How many people on the way home from the Palace game ranted that "we just aren't good enough", "Bloom needs to put his hand in his pocket next season or we'll never go up", "this was our chance, we're not going to be able to do it next year with FFP" etc? Because I know I did.

Don't get me wrong, Gus shouldn't have said all that because he should be more professional than say what he was really thinking, but it always amazes me how angry fans get when the manager speaks their mind. Especially when they then moan when the next manager gives nothing away in his interviews and is 'boring'. There's a reason why football is full of dull cliches and boring, media-trained monotonous interviews, and why their is a lack of real characters in the game these days. It's because the fans want it that way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Big statement but I reckon we would have been automatically promoted if we'd kept him.

Amazing manager.

Given his touting last season do you really think that there is any chance he would have seen the season out as BHA manager? I don't deny his abilities as a team coach but we are much too insignificant to hold the interest of a high flyer like Gus. He was not going to stick around a minute longer than he had to once a bigger club showed real interest. Some of you are very forgiving of the shitfest he caused here and his constant references to managing bigger clubs.

We were good, possibly great, for each other but Poyet was always looking at the next step up the rung. I have no problem with that, only the way he went about it.

Last edited:

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Given his touting last season do you really think that there is any chance he would have seen the season out as BHA manager? I don't deny his abilities as a team coach but we are much too insignificant to hold the interest of a high flyer like Gus. He was not going to stick around a minute longer than he had to once a bigger club showed real interest. Some of you are very forgiving of the shitfest he caused here and his constant references to managing bigger clubs.

We were good, possibly great, for each other but Poyet was always looking at the next step up the rung. I have no problem with that, only the way he went about it.

totally agree

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gus would still have left to take over at Sunderland, even if he hadn't been sacked.

We would possibly have a different manager to Oscar now, and some different players. No way of telling where we would have finished in the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here