Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus SAVES Sunderland

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
And deliberately kept quiet about. The lawyers might take a different view. Precedents have been set and this has not followed that route.

Every other club who has fielded an illegible player have been docked points in the league or thrown out the cup.

The reasons behind why the player should not have played is irrelevant the fact he did warrants the deduction.
So deduct the 1 point he helped with? The league has already made its final decision so is very unlikely to turn back on it now

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
And deliberately kept quiet about. The lawyers might take a different view. Precedents have been set and this has not followed that route.

Every other club who has fielded an illegible player have been docked points in the league or thrown out the cup.

The reasons behind why the player should not have played is irrelevant the fact he did warrants the deduction.

For the record Ji is one of the worst footballers I have ever seen and had a public berating from PDC from shying away from a header against Palace at the start of the season when we were still in the game

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
For the record Ji is one of the worst footballers I have ever seen and had a public berating from PDC from shying away from a header against Palace at the start of the season when we were still in the game

That too is irrelevant

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So deduct the 1 point he helped with? The league has already made its final decision so is very unlikely to turn back on it now

You seem worried.

Nothings final.

The Tevez affair cost West Ham a fortune.

Brighton could have caused a problem but accepted a payment instead.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
You seem worried.

Nothings final.

The Tevez affair cost West Ham a fortune.

Brighton could have caused a problem but accepted a payment instead.

Not worried at all if you said a month or so ago we had a chance of staying up I would have said you were lying, I dont see why you are so bitter about it all to be honest, what a great football story it has been

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No they haven't.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not worried at all if you said a month or so ago we had a chance of staying up I would have said you were lying, I dont see why you are so bitter about it all to be honest, what a great football story it has been

Get real chap, I'm a grown man I'm hardly bitter about a club fielding a player they shouldn't have. Just that justice should be seen to be consistent.

Nor am I bitter about a team in the North, no reason to be. Quite happy for you to stay up, be part of Poyet's ladder etc etc.

I'm very happy chappy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it's pretty easy to be seen as a genius, when everyone around you is a moron.

I little harsh on Gus but the point stands.

Tan & OGS, Norwich, Fulham, West Brom, Villa, Swansea.
That doesn't even include the car crashes that are West Ham and Newcastle and will be palace.

The best reason for promotion this season would be the fact it'll be bloody difficult to get relegated, next season.

Chances are, as bad as it can get up the road, palace are already safe :facepalm:.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's astonishing to think that it was the matches that were to send them down, actually kept them up.

Good for them. A notably loyal supporter base for a city/metropolitan area pretty much the same in populous as ours. An enjoyable brand of football too.

Feb 14, 2010
Delivered safety and a cup final. Cannot be argued wit. Doesnt mean I have to like what he did in THAT press conference this tme last year. Glad he is not with us.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No surprise to me that he kept Sunderland up. Always said he would. Quality manager. Simple as that really.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Credit where credit's due.

My wife cooked a great meal this evening

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Big statement but I reckon we would have been automatically promoted if we'd kept him.

Amazing manager.

I am not saying he is a rubbish manager but, if he had to put up with the difficulties that Oscar has had to deal with this season, I am not so sure. I would think that after that phone call in March TB would have lost all trust in him and the turmoil could of dragged on. Grateful for what he did while here, but happier to have Oscar. If Oscar sticks around for a bit what ever happens in the next few games, I think next season will be great.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Big statement but I reckon we would have been automatically promoted if we'd kept him.

Amazing manager.

You may be right. Personally I think our best chance of automatic promotion was last season, before FFP - there were a couple of games where we threw away the handful of points that would have guaranteed us automatic promotion.

There has to be a very serious question whether Poyet would have walked out at some point this season, given our commitment to FFP. If he wasn't happy a year ago then I fear he would have well and truly thrown his toys out of the pram at some point. After all we were the form team going into the play offs for promotion to the Prem with all the accolades that could follow for Poyet himself if he completed the job. We had all to play for with 20 mins or so left in the 2nd leg but he showed no conspicuous desire or motivation towards his players. He owes many fans an explanation for that.

We should not forget some of his public statements regarding his interest in jobs elsewhere, plus it emerged later that he asked to be released from his contract despite us being close to the play offs. Don't forget how many Prem managerial vacancies have occurred this season and you have to wonder just how he would have resisted some of these......

Ultimately that he was sacked after appeal for gross misconduct which suggests to me that his head just wasn't in it. I suspect his situation undermined morale in the dressing room around the time of the play offs. Hence my question about how he would have coped with a smaller budget under FFP?

I enjoyed the footie played under Gus, it cannot be denied that he took us to new levels in so many ways but it is easy to overlook that there were also some poor phases and he often didn't have a plan 'B'.

It isn't fair to compare Gus and Oscar as they are working under different conditions - IMHO it would be fairer to do so when Oscar has had a similar term in charge and if he ever gets enjoy a similar transfer budget while retaining his best players.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Amazing manager.

Don't believe we had a choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here