[Albion] Gus Poyet v Graham Potter - which GP do you prefer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which GP do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
On the other hand, when Potter was given the opportunity to manage Chelsea, he couldn't leg it up there fast enough, totally disrespectful to us.
Not sure that's disrespectful. I think he'd have been mental to not take the job when it was offered to him. Yes it turned out to be a disaster, but CL football at one of the 'big' clubs in the league, plus a huge amount of talented footballers. From a career-progression point of view it was a no-brainer.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
There is a recency bias here, in a negative way.

If you get the chance go on YouTube and watch the highlights of the games in Hughtons last season, it was abysmal. What Potter did in his first season in terms in entertainment and footballing style was borderline genius given what we had seen the year before. And then the back end of last season and start of this season was the best set of results we had seen in our history (to that point)

Gus played great stuff but flattered to deceive and left criticising Tony Bloom and the perceived ‘ceiling’. Potter left and took the time to at least explain his reasons with some class.

It can never be Poyet over Potter in my eyes.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Ah, but those away games at places like Charlton, Burnley, and Peterborough were something to behold. Like we'd genuinely turned a corner. No matter how shit it ended, I still look on those early Gus days fondly, first inkling that we were on a journey towards something special.

Potter, transformed the playing style and attitude of the playing staff. Aye there were some turgid times, but again, something special was happening no matter how frustrating some of those long winless periods were.

Both have their place enmeshed in some fond memories, I won't let how they left tarnish those, but just shake my head in disappointment at their lack of faith in us.

Last edited:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Not sure that's disrespectful. I think he'd have been mental to not take the job when it was offered to him. Yes it turned out to be a disaster, but CL football at one of the 'big' clubs in the league, plus a huge amount of talented footballers. From a career-progression point of view it was a no-brainer.
For me anyway, it was the fact he tried to take the kitchen sink with him to further his chances of success, at the direct expense of us. I get they’re adults etc but it just leaves a particularly bitter taste in the mouth.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Gus. Those times were magical in a similar vein to how this season was magical under RDZ.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the other hand, when Potter was given the opportunity to manage Chelsea, he couldn't leg it up there fast enough, totally disrespectful to us.
I don't think he had much choice when Chelsea came calling, if he had turned it down it may have been as damaging as to what actually happened when he took the job as he would have been perceived as unambitious.

The point I am making is I don't recollect Potter ever stating he would like to manage any other club when he was our manager whereas Poyet frequently did.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There is a recency bias here, in a negative way.

If you get the chance go on YouTube and watch the highlights of the games in Hughtons last season, it was abysmal. What Potter did in his first season in terms in entertainment and footballing style was borderline genius given what we had seen the year before.
Yeah just watched the 3-2 Man U and Palace 3-1 games. Dreadful stuff

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Gus for me, he started and spent most of his time just on the right side of being an absolute nutter and full of passion, he also delivered us championship football for the Amex

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I have a lot of time for both, despite the manner of their respective departures. But in the end I plumped for Gus, because it was under him that supporting the Albion started to be fun again.

Potter did something similar - there were times under Hughton when I found myself pining for the Championship, because I felt like "we used to look good in that division". It took Potter to turn that around. But in terms of the story of the club in the years I've been a fan, Poyet represented the bigger, more significant turnaround.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I voted Graham, up until Chelsea came knocking I thought he was doing well and was a better fit for the Albion in terms of developing players etc. Poyet ended so badly and disgraced himself and disrespected the fans by touting himself whilst we were playing our rivals in the playoffs, which tarnished everything that went before. Bizarrely Graham got what Gus wanted. I suspect both managers will look back at their time with us as the highlight of their careers. UTA.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Potter is the better human being, and with the passage of a bit more time and clearer memories ought to win this poll comfortably.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Gus every day of the week.

He took us from the foot of league 1, and, remember, we were looking dreadful under Slade… unfit and totally lacking in belief and shape… and turned us round in about a week… initially too he had some very limited players.

It was exciting, although we were a bit dull at times… especially in the championship, and yes the way he left was frankly embarrassing, but he had that firey personality, that passion we all love to see.

The idea that what Potter did was okay, because we’d all do the same if we were offered the money - is fine and dandy, but as someone emotionally invested in our club, well, it’s frankly horseshit and will never wash. Zero loyalty, zero investment, cold calculating and the way it panned out was simply put: thoroughly deserved.

It’s not even a difficult choice, Gus wins and he probably shouldn’t, but what Potter tried to do to the fabric of the club remains raw and utterly unforgiven.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For me anyway, it was the fact he tried to take the kitchen sink with him to further his chances of success, at the direct expense of us. I get they’re adults etc but it just leaves a particularly bitter taste in the mouth.
I know it's been covered before, but that's nothing new when a senior person moves to a new job.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about them all going back then and I still don't now!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't think he had much choice when Chelsea came calling, if he had turned it down it may have been as damaging as to what actually happened when he took the job as he would have been perceived as unambitious.

The point I am making is I don't recollect Potter ever stating he would like to manage any other club when he was our manager whereas Poyet frequently did.
Disrespectful yes, but the wider context is that he probably knew next to nothing about us, came into this lower league outfit getting changed in Portakabins etc. and in his own mind felt quite rightly that we'd only go so far, not realising we'd smash through that 'ceiling' and become an established PL club, whereas Potter came into the latter set up. Both had their flaws, combine GP's passion and GP's tactical nous and you'd have the all-around package, which turns out to be RDZ when you think about it. GP + GP = RDZ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports