Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus Poyet v Graham Potter - which GP do you prefer?

Which GP do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Funny really, I found the opposite and rarely felt our time with Potter was fun at the Amex. Frustrating, disappointing, very rarely fun.

The folk who went to away games, not me, had all the fun.

The home AMEX win rates were shit under Poyet, Garcia and Potter. In contrast to Hughton’s Championship 2.5 seasons and under RDZ.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Poyet galvanised the club and revolutionised everything. I remember going on holiday in Spain and talking football to a local. Told him to watch Albion from afar as we were going places. They were exciting times. Then I did the same with Potter. But I voted Gus for starting the revolution.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I adored Gus at the time, but he dragged our club through the mud far worse than anything Potter did. If it were possible to run this poll 9 months after each had left the club, I feel the sentiment would be similar. As ever, time has passed and hard feelings towards Gus have faded.
What?.... more through the mud than the not so veiled suggestion from numerous media pundits that the sacking decision of Chris H had a whiff of racism about it!!??!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Voted Poyet just to see results and he was first.
Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 11.32.14.png

If you're only interested in results, there's a button for that.

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
I still like them both, recency bias leads me to vote for Gus after putting a knife into the chippy Irish and their Euro hopes on Friday night

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
What?.... more through the mud than the not so veiled suggestion from numerous media pundits that the sacking decision of Chris H had a whiff of racism about it!!??!
Well I'm not sure what that had to do with Potter, he certainly didn't decide for Hughton to be sacked.

But yes, Gus claimed he was sacked live on TV (he wasn't); took every opportunity he could to publicly state his desire to leave for a bigger club , then when he did, took two of our best players; made pretty insensitive and selfish comments immediately after the most painful loss we'd probably ever experienced. He didn't show any respect to us whatsoever and his behaviour led to him being sacked for gross misconduct. Compared to Potter, who was (albeit reluctantly) allowed to leave with Bloom and Barber's best wishes.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Different times, unfortunately the dye was cast once PB arrived on the scene, as they allegedly had history at Spurs.

Like almost all of us when things were going well Gus was happy in his work, once issues arose, there was only going to be one outcome.

I doubt we will ever know exactly what went on, there are two Albion connected people who I would both trust with my life, and they have totally different versions.

Safe to say if it was a straight choice between PB or Poyet, Tony clearly made the right choice.

But I would still vote for Poyet in front of Potter, whilst a change from CH was required, Potter was in the right place at the right time but was still one of the most fortunate managers of the modern Albion era.

There’s an argument the COVID break saved us from relegation, we were sinking like the Belgrano before lock down, and I can think of at least two separate occasions when Albion managers had been sacked for far less.

It was a sad day when the Queen died but Albion wise momentous. 👍

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter for me, without him we would not have got pretty well instant De Zerbiball. The wheels came off after Gus and his touting and ceilings and Garcia trod water with the club selling our best players.

Poyet was poison when he left, Potter was a mug chasing the dollars. Still he has an easy life now and a reputation tarnished

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
My memory of Gus was that he was angling to be paid off. He felt he had taken us as far as he could (ceiling) and wanted his contract paid up to go. That had worked in the past for other managers and it wasn’t outrageous of him to expect the same thing with the Albion. PB used the normal employment laws to dismiss him without compensation and was later voted CEO of the year by his peers!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Gus as for me he started this ride we are currently on and laid the foundations for it to flourish as it has

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here