Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus Poyet on Sky Sports News

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
in my opinion he made a very foolish career choice after leaving us by joining Sunderland- a job which was proving to be a poisoned chalice for so many managers. He was still pretty green at the time and it was his first and so far only job in the premier league so he got tarnished by that.

He needed a similar-ish sized club to Brighton who would give him a bit of time and who were more accustomed to his style of play eg Swansea. Failing that he could have got a job at another high up Championship club and taken them up.

He won't get a Premier League job now

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
in my opinion he made a very foolish career choice after leaving us by joining Sunderland- a job which was proving to be a poisoned chalice for so many managers. He was still pretty green at the time and it was his first and so far only job in the premier league so he got tarnished by that.

He needed a similar-ish sized club to Brighton who would give him a bit of time and who were more accustomed to his style of play eg Swansea. Failing that he could have got a job at another high up Championship club and taken them up.

Never say never. He was a good coach to be fair. He'll need to ditch the self importance though and accept that these days, the coach is a coach and only a small part of the club in the grand scheme of things. Stropping off whinging about ceilings and budgets is a non-starter. If he does get another chance and does that again, then I'd say he'd never work in the Premier League again.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I'd agree were it not for the decent job he's doing at international level with Greece. He's keeping himself relevant via that. He was in the conversation with the ROI job recently for a while too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at a top-end Championship/lower league PL job.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He would be brilliant at a lot of Premier League clubs in my opinion.
Journeyman manager and a fool to himself, Vicente plays against Palace in the Play Off and it could have ended all so differently for him and for us. Dropping Kaz also was an error the one player Worzel was shitting himself over.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'd agree were it not for the decent job he's doing at international level with Greece. He's keeping himself relevant via that. He was in the conversation with the ROI job recently for a while too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at a top-end Championship/lower league PL job.
think whatever he's doing with Greece would only catch the attention if he got them to the Euro's and they had a particularly good tournament. Otherwise he's been out of English football since 2015. A championship side I probably agree with due to the quite chaotic merry go round in that league. You could definitely see a fair few Championship clubs giving him a go (for example on paper he's approaching prime Watford territory).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Journeyman manager and a fool to himself, Vicente plays against Palace in the Play Off and it could have ended all so differently for him and for us. Dropping Kaz also was an error the one player Worzel was shitting himself over.
We also played some of the best football League One has ever seen, challenged for promotion to the Premier League on one of the lowest wage bills in the league and saw the majority of the squad under him develop from League One players to Premier League regulars.

And in hindsight, it was probably for the best that we didn't make it then. The club was nowhere near as prepared for promotion and sustaining its Premier League status in 2013 as it was when we did go up. Bar "poo-gate" which didn't have any bearing on whether Gus was staying or going anyway, there's very little I'd change in hindsight.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
think whatever he's doing with Greece would only catch the attention if he got them to the Euro's and they had a particularly good tournament. Otherwise he's been out of English football since 2015. A championship side I probably agree with due to the quite chaotic merry go round in that league. You could definitely see a fair few Championship clubs giving him a go (for example on paper he's approaching prime Watford territory).

Some sort of ill-fated spell at Leeds, if they fail to go up?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We also played some of the best football League One has ever seen, challenged for promotion to the Premier League on one of the lowest wage bills in the league and saw the majority of the squad under him develop from League One players to Premier League regulars.

And in hindsight, it was probably for the best that we didn't make it then. The club was nowhere near as prepared for promotion and sustaining its Premier League status in 2013 as it was when we did go up. Bar "poo-gate" which didn't have any bearing on whether Gus was staying or going anyway, there's very little I'd change in hindsight.
I’m not sure we did have one of the lowest wage bills in the championship, that squad was insane and should have produced automatic promotion. Weren’t we paying Wayne Bridge £10k a week and with the additions of Bruno Uolla & Vicente.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I still like him, yeah he disappeared in a flounce, but when he came in it was like something I'd never seen before. Passing football, I always liked football when I was a kid, and I think I was 13-14 when he came in and in all honesty I fell in love with football watching his team in league one promotion season.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I’m not sure we did have one of the lowest wage bills in the championship, that squad was insane and should have produced automatic promotion. Weren’t we paying Wayne Bridge £10k a week and with the additions of Bruno Uolla & Vicente.
14th highest wage bill in 2011/12 (finished 10th). 9th highest in 2012/13 (finished 4th). Sure, it is higher than I remember, but the wage table is normally a very good indicator of final position and we did better than we should have in each of those seasons.

For context Bolton and Blackburn had almost double our wage bills in 2012/13. When we did get promoted under Hughton, we had the 4th highest wage bill in the league behind Villa, Norwich and Newcastle.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I still like him, yeah he disappeared in a flounce, but when he came in it was like something I'd never seen before. Passing football, I always liked football when I was a kid, and I think I was 13-14 when he came in and in all honesty I fell in love with football watching his team in league one promotion season.
Well, yes, it was like giving a starving man a fry up

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I still love Gus to be honest. Those years were amazing, and he seems to have a real good affinity for us.

I remember doing interviews with Gus when he was manager of the Albion and he was utterly magnetic.

It seems that the club and him have got over whatever happened. He appears in the doc.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Absolutely, I always loved the Albion but it was the first time I'd ever seen us being genuinely good at football. Even when we won Div 3 and 2 with Bobby Z up top. Some great players and lots of fun football but not the type of football that Gus made us play. We looked like we were a top half championship side at worst trying to replicate Barcelona.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely, I always loved the Albion but it was the first time I'd ever seen us being genuinely good at football. Even when we won Div 3 and 2 with Bobby Z up top. Some great players and lots of fun football but not the type of football that Gus made us play. We looked like we were a top half championship side at worst trying to replicate Barcelona.
I recall us being slagged off on some forum, maybe Plymouth, after we'd played them off the part. Apparently we were 'boring boring shite' and that it was 'just like watching f***ing (Wenger's) Arsenal' :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here