Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Interview- Post Match

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are all fans but I think Gus has treaded a very thin line recently and over stepped it

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think some people are being a bit dramatic. We all know what Poyet is like. From the text I have seen of the interview, it looks more like he is asking the board to show their intentions. Lets keep Bridcutt, try and keep Bridge and/or Upson. Keep Lopez. If we want to improve we need to be more competitive financially.

Lets see how it pans out but it will blow over. Only last week we were gushing over his speech at the players dinner

Yes, tend to agree. We all know that Gus is very emotional...he was close to tears when being interviewed. No knee jerk reactions needed. We need to build again as we did last year.
If he is intent on leaving, then let him and replace. We move on but lets not attack him at this stage. The players that stay for next season need to remember how they feel right now though, and let it motivate them next season.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Love Gus, have never doubted his judgement, and have been prepared to enjoy the ride while he learns his trade.

But tonight is NOT the night to start picking a fight with Tony Bloom, who has backed him to the hilt. Tonight is a night to look back on our best season for 30 years, to have a little humility in losing a game we should really have won, and to think about where we go from here.

I know some of this stuff gets lost in translation but I'm disappointed with Gus's apparent lack of dignity tonight. It comes across like it's Tony Bloom who lost the match. Sorry Gus, you need to control your ego a bit more and if you think you're too big for us now, all the best in your next appointment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was totally disrespectful of his employer

I did not hear the interview but the Transcriptions read poorly. He chooses his words very badly.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
We are all fans but I think Gus has treaded a very thin line recently and over stepped it

Have to say I agree. I would find it astonishing if bloom isn't extremely unhappy by Gus' constant moaning about funds and his touting himself at every possible opportunity.

He was tactically outwitted by Holloway tonight. I would look at ways he could improve himself here rather than going on about the club's potential 'roof'.

He has had more support financially than any other brighton manager in history, the club from top to bottom has been built around him - and he doesn't appear to appreciate this. He has been good for this club BUT this club has been even better for him!

It may be best for all involved for him to move on...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
On a night when the team's shortcomings have been exposed, the quotes in the Argus are bang out of order. Yes he's done a brilliant job. Yes he has transformed the club. No he hasn't got us promoted and tonight a slightly less idealistic and more pragmatic manager might have made more of a game of it in the closing stages. So he's not perfect. Frankly I'm sick of him refusing to play down rumours of wanting to leave and if he tries to hold a gun to bloom's head then I won't be that sorry if he goes. The club's done a hell of a lot for him too. Seems to forget that sometimes.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Worst attitude of any manager I can think of bar Di canio.

He's moaning yet he's had a top 6 budget. Palarse spent **** all.

He can't walk with his three years of contract to run anyways.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Have to say I agree. I would find it astonishing if bloom isn't extremely unhappy by Gus' constant moaning about funds and his touting himself at every possible opportunity.

He was tactically outwitted by Holloway tonight. I would look at ways he could improve himself here rather than going on about the club's potential 'roof'.

He has had more support financially than any other brighton manager in history, the club from top to bottom has been built around him - and he doesn't appear to appreciate this. He has been good for this club BUT this club has been even better for him!

It may be best for all involved for him to move on...

Just seen the sky interview. Doesn't come across as bad as the quotes sem when written down- he's just being usual honest Gus. If he goes, I'll be sad, but not as sad as where we were when the goldstone was sold. And the reason why he would go would be because the club does not want to put itself in that position again.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gus has always said that he would stay unless one of the following happened:-
1) He felt he wasn't moving forward - meaning progressing as a unit
2) A big club gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I agree with those that say his comments were heat of the moment, let the dust settle and we'll see how things progress.

I'm guessing we will now lose the likes of Bridge and Upson, and you have to believe that Bridcutt will be snapped up before the summer is over, so it may come down to assurances given to him (or not) by Bloom in terms of transfer fees. The stumbling block, of course, is the new fair play rules.

Lets just try and be satisfied that we've witnessed our best season since 1991 and be thankful for what we have got. A wonderful stadium, a well run club, new training facilities not far away and a decent amount of funds available.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The thing is Holloway had the choice between Bolassie or Williams to start with. He called it right, hardly rocket fecking science was it. Gus had Barnes and Lua Lua in the locker and brought them out when the patern was set by Palace and we were getting trounced. No time for Gus to start talking the way he did. He should reflect a little on his performance and maybe hope that Bloom is a little more reflective before he starts making rash statements.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We are not exacting the revenue that is needed therefore Barber arrived and will sort it all out.

Will Barber fix it for me to be able to buy a pie and a pint at half time? Because every time I can't, due to stupidly long slow queues, that's another seven or eight quid in lost revenue. There's probably ten thousand like me every home game.

Feb 14, 2010
Gus Poyet showed little class with his interview but that is something for him to work on. We lost, he was upset, but that is when you see the making of a man and he failed that test. It doesn't make him a bad manager but he does need to grow up. Either way Tony Bloom is the important man, the players and managers will come and go but Bloom intends to get us back to the top flight and then stay there. With the biggest support in the division then you can see why Bloom wants this and from what I hear, Bloom normally achieves what he sets out to do.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Can't see why Poyet is moaning about not having enough funds considering how much he has spunked away on the likes of Harley and especially Dobbie. I would love to know how much that has cost us

And the white elephant that is McSmudger

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
The thing is Holloway had the choice between Bolassie or Williams to start with. He called it right, hardly rocket fecking science was it. Gus had Barnes and Lua Lua in the locker and brought them out when the patern was set by Palace and we were getting trounced. No time for Gus to start talking the way he did. He should reflect a little on his performance and maybe hope that Bloom is a little more reflective before he starts making rash statements.
What a top post!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can't see why Poyet is moaning about not having enough funds considering how much he has spunked away on the likes of Harley and especially Dobbie. I would love to know how much that has cost us

At least we're getting our money back for Dobbie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here