Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Comments on Albion's Success

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hughton would of batttered Palace on that fateful Monday night with that team he had available, two wingers on Ulloa and Barnes up top. Leaving Vicente on the bench in the away leg was typical Poyet he let himself the club and the supporters down a complete play off balls up. I just can't forgive him for that bearing in mind the opposition he made it all about him and not the club.:tosser:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, I was bitter about the way he left and too much of his last season was consumed by him making eyes at other clubs, but it would be brutally unfair to judge him on that alone. He is, without question, one of the finest managers in our history. The League One title winning season was incredible. It's the first time I've gone to every match assuming we'd win since the Zamora days. The March of that year was obscene.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Our budget included £3m for CMS but not a fraction of that for our top scorer of the promotion year who knew the system we played!!!! Funny thing ceilings.

Wasn't £3M but you can blame Ken Brown for that

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Really interesting thread this about the differing opinions of Gus.

Like many on here, I loved that last season at Withdean when we went up. Gus was brilliant.

But to my mind it was never going to last. Gus clearly thought he was better than us and I'll never forgive for his antics around the Reading job and the Palace playoff defeat. We were good enough to go up that year and his behaviour contributed massively to the fact that we didn't.

Seems to have steadily dropped since leaving Sunderland culminating in a well paid but dead end job in China.

I wonder if he has any regrets - or is his ego just too big?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So it was purely Brown's fault that we signed CMS and Poyet had no input. Really? As for the figure, consider it a ballpark one!

No, but Brown created a budget that meant you had a transfer pot and wage pot and you couldn't use one for the other.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Hughton would of batttered Palace on that fateful Monday night with that team he had available, two wingers on Ulloa and Barnes up top. Leaving Vicente on the bench in the away leg was typical Poyet he let himself the club and the supporters down a complete play off balls up. I just can't forgive him for that bearing in mind the opposition he made it all about him and not the club.:tosser:

I can't go along with that sorry. Are you forgetting what Poyet had to contend with before, during and after that game , due to the antics of a scum manager. This man Holloway who thought our fans were disrespectful to him at our recent game, stooped so low to play mind games with Poyet with all this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-thanks-Brighton-excrement-changing-room.html

When he knew full well along with his players and directors, that it was nothing to do with BHA. Holloway played mind games with Gus and won.
Read the article and see what affect that had on Gus with the email he circulated to all staff.
We were beaten by a scum club with a scum manager and directors, who never once offered the truth about the incident and let Brighton's name be dragged through the dirt.
I would go as far to say if Hughton had been on the receiving end of that, I am sure being the gentleman he is, he would have been more upset than Gus.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, but Brown created a budget that meant you had a transfer pot and wage pot and you couldn't use one for the other.
Which was very sensible, and probably what we do now to some extent.

Wages are money up in smoke ie. Tony's GIFT to the budget.

Transfer fees can be recouped ( sometimes for more, sometimes for less ) ie Tony's LOAN to the budget.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well, that kind of goes without saying. Nobody needs to have met either of them to know that.

But Poyet built the spine of a side that not only took us up, but then comfortably kept us up and gave us 2 tilts at the Playoffs, establishing us as a major force at this level for the first time in a couple of generations. Nobody can airbrush out the "blip" that happened under Hyypia, but thats exactly what it has turned out to be - a blip, and one thats now been corrected. But Poyet was the one who set us on the course that we as a club are still following. This team now only has Bruno as a direct link to the Poyet era (and what a link!), but he still played his part in delivering BHAFC as a serious player in the Championship IMO.
Bruno and "Danky". Apart from that, you're spot on.

It's a shame that Poyet has a personality such that if he's not your manager, he's difficult to warm to, because it undoubtedly tarnishes what he achieved at this club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be honest, I was bitter about the way he left and too much of his last season was consumed by him making eyes at other clubs, but it would be brutally unfair to judge him on that alone. He is, without question, one of the finest managers in our history. The League One title winning season was incredible. It's the first time I've gone to every match assuming we'd win since the Zamora days. The March of that year was obscene.

We won 8 matches out of 8, that March. It was great fun seeing Adkins at Dagenham & Redbridge, singing Keeping up, are we keeping up.

We know David Burke was sacked on Christmas Eve, and Chris Hughton came in a week later. I wonder if CH had said he wanted to choose his own players before taking over?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bruno and "Danky". Apart from that, you're spot on.

It's a shame that Poyet has a personality such that if he's not your manager, he's difficult to warm to, because it undoubtedly tarnishes what he achieved at this club.

Course, how could I forget. Poyet brought through what is now probably our biggest asset (aside from Knocky). I get what you mean re his personality though. He's a combustible character, selfish and driven, something of a bull in a china shop. But he was exactly the right man at the right time for us, and despite the way it ended, he's still well in credit with me. Which I'm sure he'd be delighted about.

I'd love to know what the players really thought of him. Obviously we know Vicente wouldn't have given Gus the steam off his piss, but I bet 99% of them would've run through brick walls for the fella.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I thought that was a pretty decent interview. Enough water has now flown under the bridge for me to focus more on the good times with Gus rather than his ignomnious end. Thought he was total d*ck at the end, but you cannot deny he turned this club around. I do not think we would be where we are now without the kickstart he gave us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love to know what the players really thought of him. Obviously we know Vicente wouldn't have given Gus the steam off his piss, but I bet 99% of them would've run through brick walls for the fella.
I'm not entirely sure about that.

I think Poyet has that for a period of time when the going is good, or when things need freshening up.
But I can't help thinking it's a trope that not only goes off quick, but is impossible to get back.

To me CH is the ultimate run through brick walls for the fella coach.

In Duffy's case it's reinforced concrete walls.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Interesting how Murray is mentioned in the article.

If it wasn't for Gus's ridiculously poor judgement with the Murray/CMS decision then we probably would have been taken up by Gus a few years ago.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Our budget included £3m for CMS but not a fraction of that for our top scorer of the promotion year who knew the system we played!!!! Funny thing ceilings.

Looking on the bright side,Murray since he has come back,has looked better than ever.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here