Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Comments on Albion's Success

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
The dramatic upward trajectory started under Gus. Regardless of the sour way it ended, he did a phenomenal, fantastic job at BHA. Bloom made the perfect appointment at the perfect time, and its thanks to Gus we kicked off at the Amex as a Championship club. What a ride it was as well, some of the best football I have ever seen at this club. I doubt I'll ever see a more perfect, exhilerating away performance than that 4-0 at Charlton.

Sad the way it ended, but this season somes it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Don't like the bloke and never did when he was our manager for numerous reasons.....the football was negative and boring 85% of the time with the odd wonderful performances mixed in.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Gus was the ex you had who was dynamite in the sack but at all other times was as mad as a box of frogs. Some people will remember the good times whilst others will remember the bad times.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, there is a definite link between what we were doing then and what we were doing now, excusing that Hyypia aberration we have been on an upward trajectory ever since then, continuously adding and building and refining. The style we play now is not a million miles from what we played under Gus, and that's because the club is run from above: Gus, and Chris, and I'm sure the other two as well, were chosen because their style and their ambitions fit with the club's desire and ambitions, and the players recruited by and large fit with that too. Everyone pulling together with a single vision is the primary reason for our success over the past seven seasons under Bloom

Really! The style now is not a million miles away from the slow tempo possession based game Poyet chose to play. I've heard it all.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Good that Gus still has positive feelings for our club and fans despite the way it ended. A good interview which on balance, is about right as he sees it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Article reads like fair comment. Not bigging himself up at all.

Four years ago....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Time to cut him some slack, although he was badly wrong about the ceiling.

room-pic2.jpg

Ooh I dunno. I still think its a bit iffy.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Gus was the ex you had who was dynamite in the sack but at all other times was as mad as a box of frogs. Some people will remember the good times whilst others will remember the bad times.

This, lol.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Really! The style now is not a million miles away from the slow tempo possession based game Poyet chose to play. I've heard it all.

It's true,it's 1 million an 1 miles,that said Gus is a Legend in my book,a fantastic manager (at that time) and i will never (myself) have a bad word spoken against him,his style fitted (oddly) league 1 it just did not work in the championship,yet,had we broken the ceiling,it would have been ideal for the Premier,what remains to be seen is if **Chris can make his "style" work a league higher.

Edit** within the constraints of our budget.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can't simply just ignore that period as if it never happened and wipe it clean from history. Someone had t come in and halt what was happening during that period and turn it around. I have met both of them and I can assure you that GP and CH are nothing like each other in any way shape or form.

Well, that kind of goes without saying. Nobody needs to have met either of them to know that.

But Poyet built the spine of a side that not only took us up, but then comfortably kept us up and gave us 2 tilts at the Playoffs, establishing us as a major force at this level for the first time in a couple of generations. Nobody can airbrush out the "blip" that happened under Hyypia, but thats exactly what it has turned out to be - a blip, and one thats now been corrected. But Poyet was the one who set us on the course that we as a club are still following. This team now only has Bruno as a direct link to the Poyet era (and what a link!), but he still played his part in delivering BHAFC as a serious player in the Championship IMO.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"He has praised the work of Oscar Garcia and Chris Hughton in keeping Albion among the second tier’s top clubs."

But what about Sami?

:dunce:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Some great memories under Gus, sad how it ended. But I think CH is a far better fit to the Albion way of doing things

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's true,it's 1 million an 1 miles,that said Gus is a Legend in my book,a fantastic manager (at that time) and i will never (myself) have a bad word spoken against him,his style fitted (oddly) league 1 it just did not work in the championship,yet,had we broken the ceiling,it would have been ideal for the Premier,what remains to be seen is if **Chris can make his "style" work a league higher.

Edit** within the constraints of our budget.

Our budget included £3m for CMS but not a fraction of that for our top scorer of the promotion year who knew the system we played!!!! Funny thing ceilings.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Shame how it ended, but when he arrived being a Brighton fan became a whole lot of successful fun. That League One season was incredible.

It's even better now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here