Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet: best win of my career

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You're still confused. Commander is talking about the first Palace game.

I stand by comments because Poyet himself acknowledged that he had underestimated the rivalry. Freedman knew it and "got" it and had his players fired up for the game. Poyet learnt from his mistakes and made sure the Albion players understood the importance of the second Amex match. Wurzel made the same mistake that Poyet did in the first game.

That

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From the BBC website talking about Tony Bloom's comments to the fans' forum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23363030

"He phoned me up and he made it clear to me that he wanted to leave at the end of the season".....On Poyet's phone call to him, Bloom added: "He didn't want to discuss it at all.He said that if he could leave, if it would be allowable for him to leave the next day that would be fine."

That seems pretty conclusive to me that he wanted to leave immediately.

Conclusive? "I want to leave at the end of the season, but would be fine with tomorrow" is conclusive that he wanted to go the next day? Conclusive he wanted to leave (according to Bloom)? sure. Conclusive he wouldn't object to leaving the next day? Sure. Conclusive he wanted to leave the next day? Not so much, no.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
No fuse blown here - just recognise a wanker when I see one ( and a liar ).

There is nothing a pathetic as the poster who offers insults on an internet forum, safe at home with no chance of having to deal with retailiation. Its the equivalent of fat arse road ragers waving a wanker sign as they drive by. There is no way in the world you would offer that insult to my face, or anyones face either for that matter. So very easy to be hard on a forum. Pathetic.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There are no friendlies dickhead.

There is nothing a pathetic as the poster who offers insults on an internet forum, safe at home with no chance of having to deal with retailiation. Its the equivalent of fat arse road ragers waving a wanker sign as they drive by. There is no way in the world you would offer that insult to my face, or anyones face either for that matter. So very easy to be hard on a forum. Pathetic.

Pot, kettle and black.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Conclusive? "I want to leave at the end of the season, but would be fine with tomorrow" is conclusive that he wanted to go the next day? Conclusive he wanted to leave (according to Bloom)? sure. Conclusive he wouldn't object to leaving the next day? Sure. Conclusive he wanted to leave the next day? Not so much, no.

Err, yes conclusive and your edit has re-worded the bit where Gus asks if it would be allowable for him to go the next day and changed the emphasis. It's a subtle yet very important point, I think. The way I read it is the end of the season offer was Gus giving Tony some notice but was asking if he was allowed to leave immediately. Not that if Tony wanted him to go but if Gus was allowed to go.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
f-this-panda.gif

I refer the honourable gentleman to his previous posts calling other posters "dickheads"

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

There are no friendlies dickhead.

You think that the players and coach consider it 'friendly' dick?

:shootself

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You're still confused. Commander is talking about the first Palace game.

I stand by comments because Poyet himself acknowledged that he had underestimated the rivalry. Freedman knew it and "got" it and had his players fired up for the game. Poyet learnt from his mistakes and made sure the Albion players understood the importance of the second Amex match. Wurzel made the same mistake that Poyet did in the first game.

But in between those games we got spanked 3-0 at Selhurst. At what point did he suddenly understand it? I just don't believe that a professional football manager would not try as hard to get his players ready for a game because it wasn't against a who he perceived to be his rivals. It just doesn't make sense.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Err, yes conclusive and your edit has re-worded the bit where Gus asks if it would be allowable for him to go the next day and changed the emphasis. It's a subtle yet very important point, I think. The way I read it is the end of the season offer was Gus giving Tony some notice but was asking if he was allowed to leave immediately. Not that if Tony wanted him to go but if Gus was allowed to go.

No, not conclusive, because, as you admit, it's your own reading. If it was conclusive it would not need your interpretation. I don't deny he may have wanted to leave ASAP, but he left that up to Tony to decide (he may have wanted to see out the season, but realised maybe Tony would need to move quickly on his replacement, or maybe he thought Tony would want a perceived unhappy employee gone).

But, the point is: it was originally said he went to bloom and asked to leave the next day. He did not do this, as the quote from the BBC website you provide shows. He went and asked to leave at the end of the season, but let it be known he would be willing to go the next day if Bloom wanted.

I happen to think that is an important distinction.

Asking to leave the next day is unreasonable, it's unfair on your employer, it shows a lack of class and honour. That is not what he did. He gave Tony notice and flexibility. People presenting it as Gus asking to leave the next day are thus presenting Gus in resignation in an inaccurately negative light.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here