Gus Poyet: best win of my career

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
From the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23363030

"He phoned me up and he made it clear to me that he wanted to leave at the end of the season".....On Poyet's phone call to him, Bloom added: "He didn't want to discuss it at all.He said that if he could leave, if it would be allowable for him to leave the next day that would be fine."

Are you reading this all you big boys?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't buy this at all. Why would it matter to him who we were playing? He would want us to win every game, surely? I don't believe for one minute that any manager would think "well this isn't our biggest league game of the year so I won't put too much effort into the tactics etc". Palace were the better side on the day and they beat us. I'm sure he tried just as hard to win that game as any other league game that season. I can't see where any underestimating the importance of the game is.

Buzzer means the March game against Palace, not the play-off match (confused me, as well... didn't we soundly beat them and then go on a superb unbeaten run?!). I think he's saying that it could have destabilised the run-in if word had got out that he wanted to leave. But as you say, I think the fact that we were just about to Palace wouldn't have really entered into it if he thought (for whatever reason - lack of budget...? Barber...? Something else we don't know about...?) that things had come to a head.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
we get pissed off when the old lover tries to rub our noses in it.. by proclaiming publicly that he is now having the best sex he has ever had !
and thats the point.

I have to say that is a bit over the top. Doesn't feel like that to me, he still has a lot to do and it was just another backs to the wall performance.

It probably meant a lot to Gus because he has a lot to prove and I don't begrudge him that. Will I wish him good or bad luck? no he can make his own luck. Will I larf once the other clubs suss him out, probably, but only because it will show that he hit the roof not us.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Buzzer means the March game against Palace, not the play-off match (confused me, as well... didn't we soundly beat them and then go on a superb unbeaten run?!). I think he's saying that it could have destabilised the run-in if word had got out that he wanted to leave. But as you say, I think the fact that we were just about to Palace wouldn't have really entered into it if he thought (for whatever reason - lack of budget...? Barber...? Something else we don't know about...?) that things had come to a head.

You're still confused. Commander is talking about the first Palace game.

I stand by comments because Poyet himself acknowledged that he had underestimated the rivalry. Freedman knew it and "got" it and had his players fired up for the game. Poyet learnt from his mistakes and made sure the Albion players understood the importance of the second Amex match. Wurzel made the same mistake that Poyet did in the first game.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Dub. You are BRILLIANT

The best laugh on NSC for a while. You need a good breakdown every now and then

Thansk Mejona, and there was me thinking you were a fly by night plastic football fan... Thanks God there are still loyal supporters who will stand by their club!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I hope he carries on doing really well there. We hired him here to go a job and i would guess he exceeded most sensible-minded expectations with incredible speed, if not with always the greatest grace. Now, he's elsewhere and looking to turn a club around at a higher level. He should be proud and if this feeds into his sense of value and right to work his way to the top, then so be it. That's him and who he is and might well be in his favour in the long run. I don't feel undone by his supposed egotism. He's not there to guide me in my life and my working envionrment. He's there to make football clubs have a sense of identity and a combination of sturdyness and aptitude on the pitch, and he bloody well did and does. Good on him and all the best.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
self employed mate... director of my own company in fact... slow Monday.

Anyone can be a "Director" - one form to companies house and you are one. And clearly you really are one !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports