Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet: best win of my career

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Just to add - I couldn't care less what match Gus thinks is his greatest win, I just wanted to challenge the notion that Gus cares about Sunderland or Brighton or whichever team he manages during his career. It's all about Gus. Nothing else matters.

Thats it in a nutshell.

I know its old fashioned to expect 'loyalty' but I still do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It wasn't logically best for Poyet for us to lose to Palace. Although it could be that he was in full on sulk mode ? Heart ruling head ???

I believe he had lost interest by that fateful game.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Now if he had said 'That was my best result ever apart from 27 September 2011'. ....I would think he was being vindictive.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don't be silly. Some do and some don't. It doesn't make them any more or less 'real'.

When you have a new manager who appears to have "something" about him and your old manager has left, it makes no sense to me to bemoan losing the last manager. You do have a point though.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So the people who didn't want him talking about other clubs when answering direct questions put to him by the press while he was our manager now want him to talk about us instead of his new team...

So the people who didn't want him talking about other clubs when answering direct questions put to him by the press while he was our manager now want him to talk about us instead of his new team...

Sounds about right to me.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The shallower your feelings the easier to move on.

If someone doesn't want to be at the club I support I'll happily wave them goodbye, does that really make me shallow?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The shallower your feelings the easier to move on.

Or...maybe....some of us know that it's only FOOTBALL and save grief for, you know, DEATH and SAD stuff.

On average a manager only stays at a club for around 18months. You really need to prepare yourself now for when Oscar goes. It might hit you hard.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
First of all you need to remind me ..... when did we beat Chelsea under Poyet.... Im not saying you're wrong but I do have blank spaces but I dont remember this. TBH I will be VERY VERY embarrassed if you are right.

Secondly, OK it was a bit low and Im sorry for that because you are entitled to your opinions but I think you'll find its not very original.. The funny thing is I was there too and I also was 16. I think youll find a fair few more of us than just us two.

And thirdly mate you ARE entitled to your opinions but it IS too precious. If I was him I would have said the same thing and at the moment I said it Albion would have been furthest from my mind. Call me bad fan but I wasnt thinking about the Albion when I got married, when my wife was born and I should think that result, considering the circumstances to a guy like Poyet wouldve been akin to that.

What were you thinking when your wife was born?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He had cocked it up in the first game at the Amex versus Palace. He got his tactics wrong and he underestimated how important that game was to the fans. At that time he had it in his head that Southampton were the team he wanted to beat, not Palace. I believe he acknowledged that he underestimated the importance of the Palace game.

We now know that a few days before the St Patricks Day game Gus went to Tony Bloom and asked to leave the club immediately - a few days before that game knowing its importance, not just on the pitch but to each and every Brighton fan. Can you imagine the psychological blow to the team if Bloom had said yes? I asked the question why Gus felt the need to leave the club before the game. Why not the day after? Why couldn't he just give the fans a bit of consideration? It's not like wherever he was going to go would have said no, surely?

The story about Gus offering his resignation comes straight from Tony Bloom - no Chinese whispers about that source, it's impeccable and I believe Tony Bloom. And Tony Bloom insisted he stay and manage Brighton. Not because Gus wanted to but because Tony insisted. And that's a fact too - straight from Tony's mouth.

Are you saying Tony Bloom is a liar?

What we know is that according to Tony Bloom he called and asked to quit at the end of the season, but would be ok with leaving the next day as well.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
What about his 4-3 win over the MIGHTY dagenham

strange seeing Albion 'fans' slagging off our own postive results.. that win got us promotion no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here