Gus Poyet: best win of my career

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
It was a fantastic result for Gus and Sunderland. I am intrigued to see what happens with Gus in his new job over the next few months. Should he do well there, which he may well do, how long before he starts bitching about the budget and what he could do if he was with a bigger team? Will Sunderland fans be grateful for him keeping them up and wish him well when he starts touting himself for a bigger job? :smile:

I don't see his comments as a swipe against us, we are history to Gus now.

It was a lucky result.

Well thats exactly it !

If he wasnt totally obsessed with his ego, he would have an inkling that a statement like that would upset some supporters of the club that gave him four years of total support.

I think you need to edit that to read One of his former clubs supporters not Some.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Gus was out of order wanting to quit a couple of days before Palace too, but it didn't affect issues on the pitch, as that match was the start of a ten match unbeaten run which secured our play-off place.

His post Palace defeat comments showed immaturity and a lack of decency, but the same could be said for a lot of posts on NSC too. Let's face it, we were ALL emotional after that debacle.

I also don't see how it was in Poyet's best interests for us to lose to Palace. If we won, and were subsequently promoted, he would have been in a superb negotiating position to get himself a fresh job with a more established club, as can be seen by Paul Lambert, who did something similar with Norwich, then legged it to Villa.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've read that a few times and still can't really grasp what you're on about. Do you mean the March game against Palace. What had he 'already cocked up'.

"Why leave immediately? Why not after the game?"

And I've no idea what you're on about there at all. Leave when? He didn't leave, he was sacked. He stayed because he wanted to.

We are told he threatened to leave before the Palace game. We've been told lots of stuff, but have only heard one side of the story. I hope you're never selected for jury service.

He had cocked it up in the first game at the Amex versus Palace. He got his tactics wrong and he underestimated how important that game was to the fans. At that time he had it in his head that Southampton were the team he wanted to beat, not Palace. I believe he acknowledged that he underestimated the importance of the Palace game.

We now know that a few days before the St Patricks Day game Gus went to Tony Bloom and asked to leave the club immediately - a few days before that game knowing its importance, not just on the pitch but to each and every Brighton fan. Can you imagine the psychological blow to the team if Bloom had said yes? I asked the question why Gus felt the need to leave the club before the game. Why not the day after? Why couldn't he just give the fans a bit of consideration? It's not like wherever he was going to go would have said no, surely?

The story about Gus offering his resignation comes straight from Tony Bloom - no Chinese whispers about that source, it's impeccable and I believe Tony Bloom. And Tony Bloom insisted he stay and manage Brighton. Not because Gus wanted to but because Tony insisted. And that's a fact too - straight from Tony's mouth.

Are you saying Tony Bloom is a liar?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I was there as a 16 year old. Were you there? and it was my most historic Albion moment.

FFS this forum has come to something when Albion fans who love their club get slagged off.. what the hell is all this about?

I genuinely thought the 67 in the user name was IQ-related.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
You can't seriously believe that? We beat Chelsea in a friendly ffs, that's as big as it gets.

To sum up your entire career in one lucky win against Man City is grandstanding. Its deliberately provaocative, and you dicks are so far up his arse you cant see you've been jilted and disrespected, not just by this statement but by all his behaviour at the end.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was a lucky result.

That is just bitter, we know Gus can set his teams up to defend. He now has players more capable of playing his way. Is he good enough to keep them up and keep his ambition in check whilst doing it. He will not be cut the slack he was when he was here when he starts gobbing off about managing Chelsea. Will he even do it? Intriguing.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I also heard GP say in the post match interview that 'He was really happy with the clean shit'
So that's another question answered, but I wish he'd just leave the past behind.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seriously, 150 replies for a throwaway comment.

He's gone, the club have moved on, get over it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just to add - I couldn't care less what match Gus thinks is his greatest win, I just wanted to challenge the notion that Gus cares about Sunderland or Brighton or whichever team he manages during his career. It's all about Gus. Nothing else matters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"I am very proud, very tired like I played the game. If you can see the players standing on the bench everyone was like they were playing the game that is how much it means to us.

"The proudest time is when you are able to keep a clean sheet against a team like Man City. A team who did not keep a clean sheet before, It is perfection.

Is it match number one in your career?

"It has to be because of the rival, their position and the difference in the squad. We need to make sure we all believe. We showed plenty of things, passing the ball, being brave, understanding danger, defending, putting bodies on line."

which bit of that is the deliberate swipe at us?
None of it. Get over yourselves girls.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think Gus was out of order wanting to quit a couple of days before Palace too, but it didn't affect issues on the pitch, as that match was the start of a ten match unbeaten run which secured our play-off place.

His post Palace defeat comments showed immaturity and a lack of decency, but the same could be said for a lot of posts on NSC too. Let's face it, we were ALL emotional after that debacle.

I also don't see how it was in Poyet's best interests for us to lose to Palace. If we won, and were subsequently promoted, he would have been in a superb negotiating position to get himself a fresh job with a more established club, as can be seen by Paul Lambert, who did something similar with Norwich, then legged it to Villa.

It wasn't logically best for Poyet for us to lose to Palace. Although it could be that he was in full on sulk mode ? Heart ruling head ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports