Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on talksport Friday @ 7

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suspect this won't go to court. Gus knows what he's accused of and if he wants to have it all spelled out in public he may live to regret it.

Let's assume it went to a tribunal and Gus actually won. We'd pay the money (not easily, but we'd find it) but the accusations that the club made would be out there in the open, and people would doubtless believe much of what was said, including chairmen of other clubs.

Let Gus go on the media merry-go-round expressing mock exasperation with his treatment if he likes. He can get away with avoiding detail about what really happened "for legal reasons" on the radio and TV. In court, we'd get the full story. I don't know the whole story about what went on but I'd be pretty certain Gus won't come out of any tribunal with his reputation enhanced.

If he won it, it would have been proven in court to have been false, or not reasonably considered serious enough to fire someone. If he won, the only people who would believe the accusations are the people who want to hate him regardless of facts.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If the club was going to pay a settlement, it would have done so already.

Probably more accurate to say that if the club had wanted to, and that amount was deeemed acceptable to both sides, it would have done so by now.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
One point I did think interesting was that the initial charge sheet (i had heard) had 8 items on it. If poyet is to be believed, that dropped to 3.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If he won it, it would have been proven in court to have been false, or not reasonably considered serious enough to fire someone. If he won, the only people who would believe the accusations are the people who want to hate him regardless of facts.

I don't think there are really many people at all who want to 'hate him regardless of facts'. That would be almost psychotic.

I imagine that people have genuine and heartfelt reasons for their dislike of the man, whether it be feelings of let down, betrayal or whatever.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Complete tool.

So he is saying to get promoted he needed double our budget.

Bet palarse got promoted on a smaller budget. Admitting he is inferior to holloway there.

Going to be fun to see him take a prem club down as it takes 9 months to put in place his way of playing.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
What were the eight charges?

I don't know. I have been told various conflicting things but as I said on this thread pages ago. Some were said and easily disproven, others were said and then withdrawn and others conflicted with each other.

I was told by a journalist that it was 8 charges (for comparison i was told tanno's was 2 counts and Charlie's was 3) and I believe it was also posted on nsc too.(not by me)

albionite

May 20, 2009
Complete tool.

Bet palarse got promoted on a smaller budget. Admitting he is inferior to holloway there.

Going to be fun to see him take a prem club down as it takes 9 months to put in place his way of playing.

Why does everyone keep saying palace have a smaller budget? They are a established championship team with a youth academy we have been playing catch up after years in the wilderness. palace have spent a lot more money than us in last 10years.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why does everyone keep saying palace have a smaller budget? .

Because, err, they had a smaller budget. Palace could never have afforded the fees or wages for CMS or Ulloa alone in the Championship. Gus was talking drivel.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It's all behind us now; well apart from the potential court case. OG is a great appointment and will I have no doubt, be our most successful manager ever. Without any of the histrionics and unwanted TV exposure. Thanks Gus, the ride was fun and fab. We have another driver now.

TNBA

TTF

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Complete tool.

No, he is saying reading offered him twice the budget we did. I'm sure he would have welcomed double the budget we were offering him, but he wasn't saying he needed it.

Because, err, they had a smaller budget. Palace could never have afforded the fees or wages for CMS or Ulloa alone in the Championship. Gus was talking drivel.

Yes, but they have a smaller budget for a reason, and to ignore that removes all context, that is albionite's point. It would be true to say ulloa has missed more chances this season than Ashley Barnes, ergo ulloa is worse than Ashley barns. But this ignores that ulloa has had much more game time than Ashley and has also scored more. It's about context and fair analysis.

Palace have an established academy feeding players to the team reducing the need to buy players, and pay competitive wages (at least early in the players' first team careers). We don't have that, yet. They also have a team of established championship players that has been built and evolved over the past ten years (and longer). We came up with a league one side and had to spend a lot in a short period of time to bring our side up to quality.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Complete tool.

Poyet is already a much better manager than Holloway and will go on to be much much better. Yes Holloway outwhitted Gus for half a game (with a bit of luck too) but he didn't have a great record last season at all. Didn't palace win 2 games out of the last 14? And one of them was pointless. He's lost the first 3 this yr so 2 wins in 17 I make it? (90 min games)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Poyet is already a much better manager than Holloway and will go on to be much much better. Yes Holloway outwhitted Gus for half a game (with a bit of luck too) but he didn't have a great record last season at all. Didn't palace win 2 games out of the last 14? And one of them was pointless. He's lost the first 3 this yr so 2 wins in 17 I make it? (90 min games)

Rubbish.

Holloway at the age of forty won league 1.

He has taken two MEDIOCRE sides to the prem by the age of 50.

Can't see poyet doing that in the next five years.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Holloway has won promotion to the top division more times as a manager than Brighton & Hove Albion as a club in their entire history. Enough said.

Painful to say, but Palace fully deserved their play-off semi-final win and also in the final. The presentation of Holloway as some kind of fool flies in the face of reality.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rubbish.

Holloway has won promotion to the top division more times as a manager than Brighton & Hove Albion as a club in their entire history. Enough said.

Painful to say, but Palace fully deserved their play-off semi-final win and also in the final. The presentation of Holloway as some kind of fool flies in the face of reality.

Nah I disagree. If you look at win % over the last 2 seasons it would show Poyet well above I assume. Yes he's got a couple of promotions (the palace one v v v lucky - all the hard work was Freedmans and as I say 2 wins in 14 and go up via play offs is bad.) Feel free to make your assumptions on what Gus has done affect your memory. Fact is he was and is a brilliant manager (with a large ego admittedly) Before the play offs started not one Albion fan on here would have said he was a better manager than Gus. Half a game is blinkering your view. You can't compare history yet as Gus has barely managed. Last 2 seasons in same league Gus has much better results... I can't help but feel your the ones with BHA blinkers on - just cos Gus left with a bad taste doesn't mean we should forget how good he was / is...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I agree Holloway is unfairly portrayed, not least on here since arriving at Palace. He must be more than a Wurzel buffoon with what he's done at Blackpool or elsewhere, that team had no right to be in the Premier League, neither do Palace although that wasn't all his work. The only place he really bombed was Leicester, and that was pretty bad.

But even if he only really shone in a couple of matches for Palace (Amex/Wembley), what a couple of matches to choose. I fully expect him to go the way of Adkins sometime before Christmas because the board decide he doesn't have the extra stuff they need to keep them up, but while unfair that is the PL way.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rubbish.

Gus did that in his first full season as a manager..! I agree about Blackpool - that was good, and I don't think Holloway is a particularly bad manager. I just think Gus will go on to be more successful and the last 2 seasons (which is the only level ISH grounds for comparison) he's got a factually better record in the same div...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree Holloway is unfairly portrayed, not least on here since arriving at Palace. He must be more than a Wurzel buffoon with what he's done at Blackpool or elsewhere, that team had no right to be in the Premier League, neither do Palace although that wasn't all his work. The only place he really bombed was Leicester, and that was pretty bad.

But even if he only really shone in a couple of matches for Palace (Amex/Wembley), what a couple of matches to choose. I fully expect him to go the way of Adkins sometime before Christmas because the board decide he doesn't have the extra stuff they need to keep them up, but while unfair that is the PL way.

I completely agree. I never once said Holloway was a particularly bad manager. I just said Gus is better and will go on to achieve a lot more. Just cos he's left the Albion doesn't mean he's suddenly become shit like some are suggesting. Prob the same 'fans' who can't take the odd defeat and moan loudest...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I completely agree. I never once said Holloway was a particularly bad manager. I just said Gus is better and will go on to achieve a lot more. Just cos he's left the Albion doesn't mean he's suddenly become shit like some are suggesting. Prob the same 'fans' who can't take the odd defeat and moan loudest...

Still struggling to work out how gus is better?

Think you just have a problem with people who have managed at palarse judging by your biased posts on palarse threads.

Holloway is a far greater manager currently. Achieved a lot more and only slightly older. Maybe poyet will be better in the future but currently no one wants him as a manager.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Saha 15m

It's all behind us now; well apart from the potential court case. OG is a great appointment and will I have no doubt, be our most successful manager ever. Without any of the histrionics and unwanted TV exposure. Thanks Gus, the ride was fun and fab. We have another driver now.

TNBA

TTF
this

and this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here