Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus finding Iife hard in Spain.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just out of interest I wonder what team would have won last seasons or gus 2013 team on paper I think poyets is better.
mixed 11

kushack
bridge
upson
dunk
bruno
Bridcutt
stevens
Vicente
knockart
ulloa
bobby z
CH team was better and far more exciting and 89 points says it all :)

It's just names and Vicente was a sick note who rarely played and poyets season was a fair bit weaker in my opinion as we should have won that league and flopped.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012

It's just names and Vicente was a sick note who rarely played and poyets season was a fair bit weaker in my opinion as we should have won that league and flopped.

Wayne bridge was outstanding and a different class.i think a lot of things come into play I did say on paper.England 2006 team on paper should have won the world cup with yhe team they had.i think the main differnce is CH team had more spirit and a lot more to play for with bobby in the side the 2 lads dying and the team looked like they were having such a good time just does my head in still that we missed out and that wanker Dean properly did us over because he had no back bone to stick with the card he had in his hand.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gus to Derby if Pearson continues to fail ? ???

They'll need to raise their ceiling for him though.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He is a flawed personality and will eventually become totally unemployable.
Pain in the arse.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Agreed.
We had the best back 6 in the division ( incl Bridcutt ) and should have got automatic promotion. Poyet's caution resulted in too many draws and when we had a second chance through the play-offs, his off-field antics unsettled the whole situation.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I wouldn't say he's been a disaster since he left Brighton. The main problem is he hasn't really stuck it out in a job since.

He did OK in his first season at Sunderland and got them to a Wembley cup final for the first time in over 20 years. The problem was he didn't really learn from what kept Sunderland up that season which was their positivity late in the season when it almost became "shit or bust". They reverted back to being quite cautious the following season and when they ended up in another relegation battle, he paid the price for those results. That said, no-one has taken that job on since who have been able to take Sunderland away from relegation struggles to a mid-table team.

If you look at his time at AEK Athens, results wise, getting them to finish 2nd in the Greek Superleague is a decent achievement considering that league is usually dominated by Olympiakos and Panathinaikos. His problems there stemmed not from results but due to his relationship with the chairman. That is where Poyet has never quite learnt when to button his lip and what has caused problems in his managerial career.

Taking on the Betis job will not be an easy ride for him. They have been a bit of a yo-yo club in recent years and they have found themselves somewhat living in the shadow of their city neighbours Sevilla in the last 10 years. Sevilla winning the derby took them up to 2nd in La Liga. Whoever manages Betis will have to contend with fans being unhappy at them playing second fiddle to Sevilla. That said, if Poyet can get Betis around about halfway in the division this season in their 1st season back in La Liga, that wouldn't be bad going. I do wonder though if he will make it through the whole season, knowing how volatile he can be.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Agreed.
We had the best back 6 in the division ( incl Bridcutt ) and should have got automatic promotion. Poyet's caution resulted in too many draws and when we had a second chance through the play-offs, his off-field antics unsettled the whole situation.

Better to have CH than GP, more unity within the team and more approachable :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don t know why everyone goes on about hitting the ceiling.he was right we went on and sold all are main assets buckley bridicut ulloa and there was no more money.
No more money? We're losing over £10m a year!

Apart from last season the best football I ve seen albion play was under gus good luck to him.
Apart from last season? So what you mean is, the best football you've seen Albion play was is under Hughton?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Comments aside, I liked Gus and enjoyed the football. We steamrollered a few teams and didn't let teams get near the ball.

Me too.

If he'd managed to keep Murray at the club we would have walked the Championship.

(I'm not really interested in why Murray left and if Gus was involved, before anyone says anything).

I found the fact that Gus is clearly MENTAL fairly entertaining.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If he'd managed to keep Murray at the club we would have walked the Championship.

(I'm not really interested in why Murray left and if Gus was involved, before anyone says anything).

Isn't that a bit like sticking your fingers in your ears, shutting your eyes and going la di da when things go bad!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here