Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus after liam + will

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Stack your cold logic up against his agent whispering slyly in his ear about the untold riches waiting for him back in Gus's arms and there may not be much of a contest.

And the agent's ability to play Sunderland off against other clubs to get an improved deal for Liam.... we could benefit from that and have the added bonus of LB not going to Sunderland.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Well reading the Sunderland forums ,some of their fans are suffering from illusions of grandeur ,apparently we are thick ,and are we deluded thinking it is a better option for a player to stay here to fight for the play offs as opposed to going to them because they could go down ..... dear me why do these teams who play in the prema donna league ( for the moment anyway)think they have exclusive rights to being sooo much better and a far better prospect than any other club outside of the premier in every department from running the club to making the tea .Football in this era has changed since the 1900s Sunderland and disgraceful as it seems YOU have our ex manager and You are after our players.Perhaps this is why they are in the position they are because they cant face a changing future and still rest on their laurels .

Jimmy Grimble

People are forgetting we have Buckley tied down until 2017. £1 million is laughable, irrespective of recent form.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I really rate Buckley and Bridcutt but I just can't imagine them having the sort impact Sunderland need in the premier league. Both signings would be a significant risk IMO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Potential scenario: <Tony> "Gus, I'll swap you Will Buckley for Connor Wickham and sell you Bridcutt for £4 million" You get 2 players, you only spend £4mill."

We bring Conway back to replace Buckley, Ince replaces Bridcutt, we add Wickham into the mix and have £4million to spend.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Players play for their wages and not their clubs, its a mercenary world and we should all acknowledge that. If Bridcutt gets a better offer of return he is going to want to go. I personally believe both players could go and we would not miss them. Bridcutt has had a long injury lay off this season when we have grown continually and Buckley may well, even at such a young age may be past his best. I'm sure that the club will maximise their return on these players and if Poyet is after them I would remind him of the old saying 'never burn your bridges'. Gus could well return to us more than any severance he would have been given by the club. But then he was always good at spending other peoples money.

Jimmy Grimble

Lets also hope we don't forget this quote in negotiations (if there are any) for Buckley:

"How much are they talking about for Zaha? Ten million? They are going to have to go over that, because he is better. I've got no doubt."

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree with you. BHAFC are holding ALL the aces here. The beauty of all this, in a funny sort of way, is Sunderland having very little money to spend. If Gus had £10m+ then he could afford to move on from Bridcutt and chase more experienced players/bigger names. We might then be tempted to take whatever we could for him rather than risk losing him for nothing in the future. But because Gus has such limited funds, he is shopping only for Championship and untested foreign players. Clearly his best bet is to take the likes of Bridcutt, who is in his price range and someone he knows well. I also wouldn't mind betting that Bridcutt is keen to leave and has made this clear behind the scenes, which only serves to make Gus even more determined. But BHAFC don't HAVE to do a deal, and also have the desire to irritate Gus, meaning they have all the power in the negotiations. I always thought anything from £3m upwards would be a great deal for Bridcutt, but I'm starting to wonder whether our position and Gus' desperation could combine to land us more.

Agree. Said as much to a Macum friend this morning - we'd probably prefer to sell Liam for less to Palace just to annoy Gus. The stumbling block for Sunderland is that Gus is in charge more than we don't have to sell or Liam wants to leave. Any other P'ship club offering the same money and Bloom will sell Liam to them and stick two fingers up at Project Poyet. I for one would have a chuckle if that happens. No grudge against the NE club but Gus at the helm provides a delicious personal angle to any negotiations, which may mean the Macums lose out.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It speaks volumes of how far we've come as a club and how well our player identification/signings have been that we could lose two highly talented players and still have the depth to cover their departures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here