Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus after liam + will

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
Funny how just a week or so ago Gus was waxing lyrical about his belief that if a player was under contract he should honour that contract. I believe he was referring to his Sunderland players who are currently playing for new deals

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Gus will not be doing any buying at Sunderland as that is all done by the DOF. This is clearly enforced by the club as PDC clearly said on a number of occasions the players bought were not his. As a Sunderland who has seen Bridcutt play I hope we do not buy him as currently he is unproved in the Prem and not the sort of player that a club fighting for the league should be buying at this time although I know that he is a very good player at championship level so he may well have what it takes but it isnt the time to gamble.

I agree, if Bridcutt went there after all the fuss that Gus has made over him, and he doesn't quite cut it the Sunderland fans won't be that forgiving and it could backfire on both of them.

I think Gus has got you playing ok with the players he has got and he is only a couple of back to back wins away from moving out of the relegation zone. There are plenty of quality loans and free signings out there. He has just got Marcos Alonso, is that a Di Fanti signing or a Gus one?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Have no problem with Liam going as long as we get £2.5/3million. He has been a fantastic player for us and deserves his chance in the top division. Great profit also and with the emergence of Ince and Crofts this season I am lot less concerned about losing him than I would have been this time last season.

I would be disapointed to let Buckley go for £1million though. He has been poor this season but definitely has Premier league quality as proven by his performances against Liverpool and Newcastle. I think he is the sort of player who would flourish in the top division and look even better than he does in this league. If we give him away like we did Bennett and Noone, I for one will be gutted.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
£5M for Liam, especially if there is more than 1 EPL club interested.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think the side needs some fresh faces in attacking wise, Buckley gets injured every other game he plays and Bridcutt is obviously a Gus man so maybe its time to move on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is a very good point. I cannot believe how slow the club has been in getting Ince to sign up, Kuszczak as well come to that.

Tony Bloom has stated clearly that players out of contract don't get offered new contracts until nearly the end of season.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Tony Bloom has stated clearly that players out of contract don't get offered new contracts until nearly the end of season.

Which puts us in danger of losing players before the contract ends because they have already talked to other clubs. So has he learnt nothing from the Murray move. Ince can start talking to other clubs next month I believe. Surely David Burke should be highlighting this problem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which puts us in danger of losing players before the contract ends because they have already talked to other clubs. So has he learnt nothing from the Murray move. Ince can start talking to other clubs next month I believe. Surely David Burke should be highlighting this problem.

It's the way the chairman wants to run things. He has said it a couple of times in fans forums.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

There have been instances where players have signed extensions to current deals this time of the year which haven't been made public. We've only found out when the retained list is issued these players aren't signing a new contract because they've already done so.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There have been instances where players have signed extensions to current deals this time of the year which haven't been made public. We've only found out when the retained list is issued these players aren't signing a new contract because they've already done so.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe they are holding back 'good news' to make an announcement just after Liam is sold.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As you probably know they aren't entirely reliable

It's the inclusion of Buckley that makes me question the accuracy of these reports. Few clubs, least of all one fighting for its life at the foot of the table, would put out for a player unlikely to contribute for the next half dozen games - August maybe but not in January.
No surprise if Bridcutt went but Buckley - at least unless he is proven fit before the end of the window ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's the inclusion of Buckley that makes me question the accuracy of these reports. Few clubs, least of all one fighting for its life at the foot of the table, would put out for a player unlikely to contribute for the next half dozen games - August maybe but not in January.
No surprise if Bridcutt went but Buckley - at least unless he is proven fit before the end of the window ???

Less than 53 hours ago, Buckley was fine. I don't suppose the leaks to the news paper about the bids occurred the moment they were made, I'm sure it's taken a few days to come to light and Buckley was fit when the bid was made.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Less than 53 hours ago, Buckley was fine. I don't suppose the leaks to the news paper about the bids occurred the moment they were made, I'm sure it's taken a few days to come to light and Buckley was fit when the bid was made.

Makes sense,........ as would the logical impact his injury has on a bid - likely to be withdrawn pending return to fitness IF that happens before the end of the window.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Makes sense,........ as would the logical impact his injury has on a bid - likely to be withdrawn pending return to fitness IF that happens before the end of the window.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here