Whats not too like.

Ree.jpg

378827_333282230021340_188946404454924_1536475_1772948139_n.jpg

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Blimey. bad morning?

Ha ha no actually, great morning, I'm away for a week tomorrow so in a great mood. Maybe saying "They're shit" was a bit harsh, that's not really what I meant.

And your evidence for this is??????

Cause to me it looks like the kids (and more than a few of the Dads) absolutely love it.

I could just as easily ask where your evidence is that is DOES make a difference.

So you pay hundreds of pounds to watch the football ..... and that's what you get.

You can watch or ignore all the peripheral stuff that you don't pay for.

Very true. And I do ignore it, I don't usually take my seat until just before kick off for this reason. But this is my point. Look at the Merseyside derby last night. 5 minutes before kick off and before the teams came out, the Kop were belting out 'Fields of Anfield Road', and the away end was belting out 'We're on the march', and it should have made for an electric atmosphere. But you could hardly hear it because some rubbish pop song was being blared out over the tannoy with some shouty shouty man shouting over the top of it. Why? How exactly does this improve the atmosphere or experience for anyone, children or adults, either in the ground or on the TV? It doesn't, but some Americanised marketing twat somewhere thinks it does, so we have to put up with it. It's like 'Abide with Me' at the Cup Final. When that hymn was sung by 90,000 people together it made grown men cry. Now all you can hear is some fat opera singer wailing it over the top of everyone else. What is the reason for it?

I was 7 when I first went to football. I was hooked on the electrifying atmosphere, the singing, the shouting, the rowdyness, that feeling of the hairs on the back of your neck standing up from thousands of people singing together and the whole emotion of the occasion. The football was secondary to be honest, certainly for the first few games. You don't get that with cheerleaders, ridiculously loud music and a washed up radio presenter drowning out the crowd.

I've got nothing against Gully Girls, and I understand that football has changed, for the better in most parts. But just because the stadiums are safer, people don't run on to the pitch and beat the shit out of each other anymore and the players are paid millions of pounds, it shouldn't mean that we have to turn it into the Superbowl.

I suppose you could argue that having all this 'entertainment' on the pitch before kick off keeps people like myself and thousands of others on the concourses drinking beer and spending money up unti the last second, but this isn't the reason for it in the first place.

I absolutely love the Amex, and I still look forward to every game. It's the first time home games have been good for 15 years, and I am loving every second. And to be fair to the Albion it is a less Americanised / soul-less experience than most new stadiums in the country. Whether that will still be the case in 10 years time, I'm not convinced.

If it was up to me I'd ditch all the pre match fanzone and Gully's Girls nonsense pre kick off, and put it on at half time instead. I used to like half time enetertainment, remember when they used to have penalty shoot-outs between schools and stuff on the pitch at half time at the Goldstone? Great fun. "Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up"...

What about a marching band playing gosbts while gullys girls drag a huge wooden cow :moo:across the pitch??? At the end of gosbts a ladder comes down fron the cow and the 78/79 promotion team appear:clap2:

What's not to like about that, together with the slide proposed from WSU this would be a world beating combination.

Ha ha no actually, great morning, I'm away for a week tomorrow so in a great mood. Maybe saying "They're shit" was a bit harsh, that's not really what I meant.

I could just as easily ask where your evidence is that is DOES make a difference.

Very true. And I do ignore it, I don't usually take my seat until just before kick off for this reason. But this is my point. Look at the Merseyside derby last night. 5 minutes before kick off and before the teams came out, the Kop were belting out 'Fields of Anfield Road', and the away end was belting out 'We're on the march', and it should have made for an electric atmosphere. But you could hardly hear it because some rubbish pop song was being blared out over the tannoy with some shouty shouty man shouting over the top of it. Why? How exactly does this improve the atmosphere or experience for anyone, children or adults, either in the ground or on the TV? It doesn't, but some Americanised marketing twat somewhere thinks it does, so we have to put up with it. It's like 'Abide with Me' at the Cup Final. When that hymn was sung by 90,000 people together it made grown men cry. Now all you can hear is some fat opera singer wailing it over the top of everyone else. What is the reason for it?

I was 7 when I first went to football. I was hooked on the electrifying atmosphere, the singing, the shouting, the rowdyness, that feeling of the hairs on the back of your neck standing up from thousands of people singing together and the whole emotion of the occasion. The football was secondary to be honest, certainly for the first few games. You don't get that with cheerleaders, ridiculously loud music and a washed up radio presenter drowning out the crowd.

I've got nothing against Gully Girls, and I understand that football has changed, for the better in most parts. But just because the stadiums are safer, people don't run on to the pitch and beat the shit out of each other anymore and the players are paid millions of pounds, it shouldn't mean that we have to turn it into the Superbowl.

I suppose you could argue that having all this 'entertainment' on the pitch before kick off keeps people like myself and thousands of others on the concourses drinking beer and spending money up unti the last second, but this isn't the reason for it in the first place.

I absolutely love the Amex, and I still look forward to every game. It's the first time home games have been good for 15 years, and I am loving every second. And to be fair to the Albion it is a less Americanised / soul-less experience than most new stadiums in the country. Whether that will still be the case in 10 years time, I'm not convinced.

If it was up to me I'd ditch all the pre match fanzone and Gully's Girls nonsense pre kick off, and put it on at half time instead. I used to like half time enetertainment, remember when they used to have penalty shoot-outs between schools and stuff on the pitch at half time at the Goldstone? Great fun. "Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up"...

That's better. Still think Gully's Girls should stay.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
How can you knock them, it not my sort of thing but they do it for free, do fantastic charity work and represent our club. They will only get better and better and all the time people want to dedicate their time and energy in support of our club well done to them. These threads seem as bizarre as the Ashley Barnes ones to me...

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I think they are shit to be honest, and most of them aren't even attractive. Some are even fat. I don't buy any of this bollocks about it being great entertainment for kids and families, kids and families do not spend hundreds of pounds on season tickets to watch some second rate cheerleaders, they come to watch the football. It's only one step above goal music.

Having them or that annoying fanzone thing with Richard Reynolds shouting as loud ad he can does not make the slightest bit I difference to ticket sales or whether kids want to come or not. I'd rather we got rid of all of it and let the atmosphere develop pre kick off by itself.

Gosh - you must be bloody perfect! :tosser:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am very happy to watch of group of attractive young ladies do their stuff.

I don't really see the problem.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Gullys Girls are gay...:jester:

On a serious point i do find it creepy all these middle aged men learing at loadsa 16-19 (or how ever old they are girls)

Also agree that it is one step or even below to having music after a goal...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nothing against GG myself but be warned any criticising that some on here have their tongues firmly up the girls arses - you can see that when the head one posts!

Is that aimed at me?

If so, I challenge you to find a single post I've made that backs up what you are saying. In fact if you find what I believe was my last post on this very subject, I think you'll find I said the exact opposite.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm never in my seat at halftime anyway, always too busy queuing for a beer/slash or catching up with other scores on the TVs in the concourse.

I couldn't give a toss what's going on during half time out on the pitch.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gullys Girls are gay...:jester:

On a serious point i do find it creepy all these middle aged men learing at loadsa 16-19 (or how ever old they are girls)

Also agree that it is one step or even below to having music after a goal...

As you get older you will realise EVERY man on the planet likes to look at an attractive young woman even if he is 80. That's just the way it is and if he denies it he is lying.

Last edited:

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Is that aimed at me?

If so, I challenge you to find a single post I've made that backs up what you are saying. In fact if you find what I believe was my last post on this very subject, I think you'll find I said the exact opposite.

He meant the head Gullys Girl, Jo, who posts on here I think

Brimmermusic

Aug 9, 2011
Eastbourne

f*** me, you must have some time on your hands being able to write that. I got bored after the first paragraph.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

At Withdean I never knew where to look when I was watching the warm-ups and Gully's Girls walked past on the running track waving their pom-poms. It certainly was not at them.

However you should not confuse looking with leering. When you get older and you look at a younger person it can just be in an admiring "how fantastic to be that age and look that good" way.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Gotcha, yes.

They obviously work very hard to do what they do, putting in lots of time with little or no financial reward. If it's not for you, just ignore it. Like a lot of people, I'm on the concourse at halftime which is when I believe they do their main thang.

(They do seem to have snagged some great seats at the Amex though.)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is that aimed at me?

Boz-man - stick end wrong of have you the.

That's the way I deciphered it too.

This I did - and no wasn't aimed at anyone in particular - just remember lots of arse kissing when she did a thread :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports