Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gully Girls.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Agree that the start of the Fanzone music needs freshening up - that's getting tired - but the kids seem to love it and I always have a laugh watching people's reactions on the big screens. Good idea overall - better than just random music.

needs re-thinking and maybe re-shooting/editing ........maybe cutting something else in.
I am old enough to remember marching bands before games - they were fine then but not now. Same with singers and dancers, the Sally Army and the Seaford Silver Band - we have had them all in our time and then again there were times when we had and needed nothing. All entertainments need to be freshened up or re-invented from time to time

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If anyone wants to know Paul Barber's take on Gully's Girls, listen to the Roar.

In fact, here is the transcript for those who can't be arsed...

AR: Mr Barber, what's the future of Gully's Girls? In fact, how many emails did you get about Gully's Girls?

PB: Not very many. (In fact, before he went on air, he said it was seven) This is another one of those debates which shouldn't really be a debate. First of all Gully's Girls were not axed. Secondly, they didn't really cost us anything, so it wasn't a cost-cutting measure. Thirdly, they still exist. Fourthly, their role's being expanded, and fifthly - if that's a word - we can expect to see the group expanded, a slightly different style, on the pitch at some stage in the future.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
If anyone wants to know Paul Barber's take on Gully's Girls, listen to the Roar.

In fact, here is the transcript for those who can't be arsed...

AR: Mr Barber, what's the future of Gully's Girls? In fact, how many emails did you get about Gully's Girls?

PB: Not very many.

No shit, As he's dumped them he's hardly going to say hundreds or thousands is he?

First of all Gully's Girls were not axed

Yes they were.

Fourthly, their role's being expanded, and fifthly - if that's a word - we can expect to see the group expanded, a slightly different style, on the pitch at some stage in the future.

Expanded? 4 waving the players on and 6 walking around the pitch? Oh come on.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Erm..... ive been a season ticket holder for years..... Im in the WSU at the amex, and was in the South Stand at Withdean from 1999.... but ..... what the f... is Fanzone???? Have I missed a meeting? I take my seat usually as the teams are coming out... isnt that the purpose of going to the game?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whatever way you dice it up Gully's Girls were poor at cheerleading. If I want amateur I'll watch Worthing at Woodside Road. Everything this club does should be of high standard, otherwise ditch it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's not the point. Gully Girls was at Withdean and at the Amex last season and this season till Barber turned up. They are great for the kids and the kids love them before and during the match, They also do fantastic work for the local community for free and remind me of my first ever day at the Amex. They are part of the club, pre match build up now it's f***ing flat, nothing, even the 'put your hands up' is a joke as it feels out of place.

Do the kids actually love them? Really? Maybe we can bring in some porta cabins and a shot put fence to remind you of the withdean. Im finding all this drama over teenage girls dancing in front of old men slightly weird.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Erm..... ive been a season ticket holder for years..... Im in the WSU at the amex, and was in the South Stand at Withdean from 1999.... but ..... what the f... is Fanzone???? Have I missed a meeting? I take my seat usually as the teams are coming out... isnt that the purpose of going to the game?

When cameras go to fans and you can see yourself on screen!

Quote removed by hitony

Based on this do you really think your the best person to act as an advocate for Gully's girls in making representations to Paul Barber ?

Last edited by a moderator:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Im finding all this drama over teenage girls dancing in front of old men slightly weird.

And that, ladies & gentlemen, sums it up for me.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
My daughter has been a gully girl for 4 seasons and she was never verbally abused.I know for a fact that they did alot of work for albion in the community and the club should be proud of them and not treat them like they have.Also shes been a fan since she was little and was in tears at their last game.

There you have it. Barber is wrong on this one.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I have to agree that I thought they were cringeworthy at times and was there a minimum age?? I'm sure there are countless other ways to entertain us before kickoff!

This. Cheerleading is, in my view, a slightly embarrassing American import, which is completely out of place before a football game in England and, it has to be said, paints a somewhat anachronistically sexist image in this day and age. When you add to this the fact that GG were/are, frankly, not very good at dancing, the case for keeping them seems rather weak. The charity thing is neither here nor there -- there are lots of other good ways of raising money for worthy causes.
Fanzone, however, I quite like.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Hate bringing this up but it still gets my back up and more so after listening to Paul Barbers comments on Gully girls. Getting bored of saying this but will keep saying it till I talk to barber in person, ok why not send an e-mail, anyone can hide behind the keyboard but want to ask him face to face and don't want any bullshit.

On the Albion Roar he said that they haven't been axed but didn't want to speck about the matter any more and the subject was dropped but the broadcasters haggled and quired Paul Barber no end on the debt subject but not on Gully girls.

Why? They've been part of our entertainment since Withdean. When Paul Barber say they haven't been axed then he thinks he's drawn a line under the matter but he hasn't as all he's done because he's upset so many fans/customers is giving us a token gesture where 4 Gully girls wave the flags when the teams come out and 6 walk around at half time but they aren't allowed to speak or do stunts, It's like he send them out just to keep us moaning barsteds quite.

Shut up Barber, why not tell us the truth, why not say you think we're all nonce's and perverts and pedophiles.

A token gesture won't resolve the problem.

I've obviously been under the misapprehension for over 50 years that I paid my money to BHAFC to watch a football match...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hate bringing this up but it still gets my back up and more so after listening to Paul Barbers comments on Gully girls. Getting bored of saying this but will keep saying it till I talk to barber in person, ok why not send an e-mail, anyone can hide behind the keyboard but want to ask him face to face and don't want any bullshit.

On the Albion Roar he said that they haven't been axed but didn't want to speck about the matter any more and the subject was dropped but the broadcasters haggled and quired Paul Barber no end on the debt subject but not on Gully girls.

Why? They've been part of our entertainment since Withdean. When Paul Barber say they haven't been axed then he thinks he's drawn a line under the matter but he hasn't as all he's done because he's upset so many fans/customers is giving us a token gesture where 4 Gully girls wave the flags when the teams come out and 6 walk around at half time but they aren't allowed to speak or do stunts, It's like he send them out just to keep us moaning barsteds quite.

Shut up Barber, why not tell us the truth, why not say you think we're all nonce's and perverts and pedophiles.

A token gesture won't resolve the problem.

How can anyone get so wound up about a few dancing girls?! I would imagine Barber knows more about running the Albion than your good self and I doubt he sees replying to some internet fan as a priiority. As you were.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's not the point. Gully Girls was at Withdean and at the Amex last season and this season till Barber turned up. They are great for the kids and the kids love them before and during the match, They also do fantastic work for the local community for free and remind me of my first ever day at the Amex. They are part of the club, pre match build up now it's f***ing flat, nothing, even the 'put your hands up' is a joke as it feels out of place.

Are you crying?

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
This. Cheerleading is, in my view, a slightly embarrassing American import, which is completely out of place before a football game in England and, it has to be said, paints a somewhat anachronistically sexist image in this day and age. When you add to this the fact that GG were/are, frankly, not very good at dancing, the case for keeping them seems rather weak. The charity thing is neither here nor there -- there are lots of other good ways of raising money for worthy causes.
Fanzone, however, I quite like.

This.... Get local lads football teams having Penalty shoot outs at half time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here