Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guiseley v Braintree controversy

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Apologies if this has already been mentioned and I've missed it on the thread but I do wonder if the injured player would have been quite so injured if his team had been losing 1-0. Did he go off? Or did he come back on showing Diego Costa like powers of recovery?

Perhaps this what the game needs? I'm fed up of watching games with players rolling around pretending to be injured just to waste time. Obviously this was against current etiquette but a part of me thinks cheating (and that's what it is), deserves to be punished.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It was a sly move from Guiseley but there's nothing to stop that happening in the game, no rule exists to say that you should give the ball back, nor should it.

To avoid misunderstanding here, I'm in no way saying I agree with them doing it in the first place, but expecting a walkthrough goal in response (or complaining to the ref about it) is a pointless endeavour if the offending team don't give a toss.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I trust that you and darkwolf666 are just deliberately misunderstanding my point for comedic effect. I am obviously only referring to the specific scenario where a player is down injured and someone deliberately puts the ball out for a throw in to allow treatment. This is the scenario we are debating here, where the game is stopped unnaturally outside the rules of the game, with an expectation of a break in the flow of the game then a gentlemanly or ladylike return of the ball to the opposition. I am clearly not referring to the situation where a player puts the ball out for a throw in as part of the game. Just a bit of what might be described as 'Blue Sky thinking' or 'thinking outside the box'. I don't expect it to happen, but there is a precedent for a yellow card to influence player behaviour outside the flow of play and that's bookings for taking off a shirt to celebrate a goal.

No comedy value intended from here! More I was thinking how your suggestion would work?

So a player goes down injured and the big centre half gives it a mighty hoof (yes I know, it's always the big centre half) which sends ball to row Z of the stand. Referee now has decide if said centre half did this on purpose in a now outlawed gentlemanly act, or if he is just a shite footballer!

Screams of derision for the referees decision whichever way he decides it...

For my second song quote of the day, why do you have to go and make things so complicated?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Never ever kick the ball out of play, and never ever give the ball back if the other tarts kick the ball out of play. There is a referee. You play to the whistle. End of story.

If a player thinks another player is genuinely injured he can still kick it out. Just don't expect to get it back.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
if someone kicks it out have a drop ball.
that would stop it

They all are drop ball.

It's just that they're unchallenged drop balls.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've always been pretty clear on this.
If a player gets injured, and no foul is given to stop the game, the play should continue and the physio should be allowed on to treat the player whilst the game is still going on. This would result in a HUGE reduction of injury time.

After assessment, if the player is seriously injured and needs to be stretchered off, signal to the ref, who would then stop the game. Easy.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
If a player is moving in any way (except clear grand mal epileptic seizures) even with a head injury the referee should play on as the player has a clear airway. This stopping the game nonsense just because it's a bang on the head is daft.

Footballers, especially young footballers, should be REQUIRED to play a few games of rugby union, as part of their training. And then they would learn that physical contact with an opponent is no reason to collapse on the ground and expect play to be suspended.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If a player is moving in any way (except clear grand mal epileptic seizures) even with a head injury the referee should play on as the player has a clear airway. This stopping the game nonsense just because it's a bang on the head is daft.

So you now expect referees to make medical decisions, on the hoof, while watching and keeping up with play - David Busst was still moving after receiving what many consider to be the worst broken leg injury on a football pitch, so by your logic - play on!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As a relatively new, soon to be qualified, under 9s coach I can tell you this isn't limited to the pros. A lot of kids have watched the pros do this and now they go down at the slightest touch if the other team is through, my own son included :rant:

In the pro and semi pro game it should be down to the ref and not the players as [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] says. But there needs to be a crackdown on simulation full stop because, if nine year olds are going down like this you always have to err on the side that they are injured for safeguarding reasons. Today's spoiled prima donnas who expect the ball to be kicked out for a hair strain are actually making the younger generation dishonest and the job even more difficult for grass roots coaches.

We had that issue at u9s, however when I reffed my own team, a few shouts of no foul, play on etc and explaining afterwards about the boy who cried wolf seemed to have ended it in one fell swoop. My son gave me huge grief afterwards as did his mates but they got over it

On a different note, my under 7s team with one exception (Denton) have had the most wonderful season with some great, enthusiastic friendly teams and parents. Yesterday for example a woodingdean under 7 actually owned up to having had the last touch on the ball when I gave the throw in to his side. I didn't need to use a whistle once. No free kicks in 40 mins of football and all done with voice and talking to them. I just wish that it will stay that way....but it won't as they will pick up some awful habits from the pros

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
On a different note, my under 7s team with one exception (Denton) have had the most wonderful season with some great, enthusiastic friendly teams and parents. Yesterday for example a woodingdean under 7 actually owned up to having had the last touch on the ball when I gave the throw in to his side. I didn't need to use a whistle once. No free kicks in 40 mins of football and all done with voice and talking to them. I just wish that it will stay that way....but it won't as they will pick up some awful habits from the pros

That's great to hear, but is it the pros that give them these habits or their parents? Some schools here have had to issue guidelines to parents as to what is and isn't acceptable behaviour when "supporting" their children!

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Physio's should be allowed on to treat players whilst play continues. Happens in Rugby. Play doesn't get stopped as often and would stop anything like this happening again.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That's great to hear, but is it the pros that give them these habits or their parents? Some schools here have had to issue guidelines to parents as to what is and isn't acceptable behaviour when "supporting" their children!

It is parents too in some cases. No surprise that in one game where a parent referred to me as an f***ing cheat because he couldn't tell the difference between a block tackle I allowed and an out of control sliding one where the player jumped out of the way so no contact but where when the ball had gone out of play I had a word with the tackler to explain my concern.

My son was lucky enough to play for an albion invitation centre side against arsenal during half term. The arsenal coach came across and said that as they were 8 and 9 year olds he would like to hear parents applauding good play from both teams but if there was any negative comments or coaching from parents, he would ask them to leave.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It looked a foul throw anyway by the throwing action.

And why did the thrower throw it to one of his own players?
Normal practice is to throw it into open space down the wing and let the opps retrieve it and have possession.

Still a big case of ungentlemanly conduct to "accidentally" score a goal though.

Some on here are clearly "take no prisoners - win at all costs sportsmen" - whilst others are more "Queensbury rules - beat 'em fair sportsmen" - I know which camp I'm in.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
So you now expect referees to make medical decisions, on the hoof, while watching and keeping up with play - David Busst was still moving after receiving what many consider to be the worst broken leg injury on a football pitch, so by your logic - play on!

Yes - he is not in any immediate danger of dying with a broken leg. Yes it might hurt like hell, but tell me if it needed fixing there and then. Would you have personally operated right then or would he have waited until the next day?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes - he is not in any immediate danger of dying with a broken leg. Yes it might hurt like hell, but tell me if it needed fixing there and then. Would you have personally operated right then or would he have waited until the next day?

Right now I know you are joking!!! They had to wash the blood of the pitch when they had finished treating him, but you would rather the ref played on, incredible!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Rosenior incident last night.

Leeds player tapped on the head.
Falls out of play.
Liam's instant reaction - advantage Albion.
Then kicks the ball out of play - advantage Leeds.
Leeds player returns to the pitch perfectly fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here