Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guidetti, Falque, Barnes, Kane

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
You are correct in pointing out the hole in my argument as we were missing a couple of very good players yesterday.

I just think we looked better upfront without Barnes in the way.

Did you miss the bit where Ulloa went down and the entire stadium panicked?

At this stage it doesn't matter what is offered, unless we have another couple of strikers through the door I don't see us letting go of Barnes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But if with their 'apparent new found wealth', given the amount they paid for the Peterboro forward who is decidedly average, how much do you think we'd consider?

I'd go for £2m. (Big Barnes fan, but everyone of our players has a price).

I agree they all have a price. But I'm not sure Palace will pay the price we'd want, because he has no PL experience, and I'd like to think the Albion would put some sort of Palace-premium on the fee in any case.

I'm very much pro-Barnes, but if I was the manager of the favourites to be relegated from the PL, and I wanted a striker to save me, I could think of a dozen I'd go for before Ashley-lad. If they have a genuine interest, it does rather suggest a touch of desperation on their part, much as I rate the guy.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I agree they all have a price. But I'm not sure Palace will pay the price we'd want, because he has no PL experience, and I'd like to think the Albion would put some sort of Palace-premium on the fee in any case.

I'm very much pro-Barnes, but if I was the manager of the favourites to be relegated from the PL, and I wanted a striker to save me, I could think of a dozen I'd go for before Ashley-lad. If they have a genuine interest, it does rather suggest a touch of desperation on their part, much as I rate the guy.

I think if this did happen, it will be as a replacement for Wilbraham.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

All correct and agreed, especially the 'Palace-premium'.

I'm surprised they haven't gone for Jordan Rhodes or Andy Johnson (to appease the fans).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But isn't WIlbraham more of an old fashioned bulldozer type? Win headers, presence in the box etc.... Ashley is far more refined than that and get a lot of his goals through clever movement.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Ah yes, of course, I forgot you had Wilbraham. That does rather put a different complexion on it.

I do hope you're not advocating some sort of swap deal, as I can confidently say that Wilbraham is one of the worst strikers I've ever seen. The fact that he's ever played a Premier League game, whether with you or Norwich, is a shocking injustice. If I was a reasonable League Two centre forward and I turned on MOTD to see Wilbraham up front in a PL match, I'd probably jack it all in and announce my retirement from the game.

If you offered us £2m and Wilbraham for Barnes, I imagine we'd tell you to poke it: just give us £1.5m and you can keep Big Aaron for yourself.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Ah yes, of course, I forgot you had Wilbraham. That does rather put a different complexion on it.

I do hope you're not advocating some sort of swap deal, as I can confidently say that Wilbraham is one of the worst strikers I've ever seen. The fact that he's ever played a Premier League game, whether with you or Norwich, is a shocking injustice. If I was a reasonable League Two centre forward and I turned on MOTD to see Wilbraham up front in a PL match, I'd probably jack it all in and announce my retirement from the game.

If you offered us £2m and Wilbraham for Barnes, I imagine we'd tell you to poke it: just give us £1.5m and you can keep Big Aaron for yourself.

Not as a like for like player, more of a squad player .
Wilbraham is rumoured to be off, so we would need cover for the forwards.
No way is Barnes going to get in the starting 11.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not even in front of the Peterboro forward you purchased, he looks woeful (although only on TV admittedly).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not even in front of the Peterboro forward you purchased, he looks woeful (although only on TV admittedly).

I just thought he looked a bit lost, in the bits I've seen so far. Seemed a bit wide eyed/star struck perhaps. Looks quick, might cause problems once he adjusts to life at that level. It's a question of whether he gets many chances to work with.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Would love to see Barnes go to Palace. £300k more than fair price. Was he missed yesterday?

As said elsewhere, probably one of the most stupid posts on NSC in a long time. So we sell Barnes for £300K, we are left with Ulloa as our only fit forward. Presumably you would replace Barnes. How many strikers with Championship experience do you think you can get for £300K.

As for was he missed yesterday, did you go to Birmingham. I thought Barnes had a big impact after replacing Buckley. But don't let that get in the way of your anti Barnes prejudice.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Did you miss the bit where Ulloa went down and the entire stadium panicked?

At this stage it doesn't matter what is offered, unless we have another couple of strikers through the door I don't see us letting go of Barnes.

I didn't miss it, I was also panicking. To be honest unless a young Bobby Z was on the bench Leo was irreplaceable. Barnes could do a job upfront when needed from the bench but I would prefer another forward to come in.

It's the talk of £3million for Barnes that inspires me to post on these threads. We probably would not get that for Liam. Although most us would argue he is worth more.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I just thought he looked a bit lost, in the bits I've seen so far. Seemed a bit wide eyed/star struck perhaps. Looks quick, might cause problems once he adjusts to life at that level. It's a question of whether he gets many chances to work with.

Trouble is the higher level you play at, the less space there is behind defences, so I'm not sure any pace he has will make a difference.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I didn't miss it, I was also panicking. To be honest unless a young Bobby Z was on the bench Leo was irreplaceable. Barnes could do a job upfront when needed from the bench but I would prefer another forward to come in.

It's the talk of £3million for Barnes that inspires me to post on these threads. We probably would not get that for Liam. Although most us would argue he is worth more.

So you would genuinely accept £300K from our biggest rivals for a player who has scored 10+ goals in two straight Championship years?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Yes and I would wish him luck, although I would be very surprised if he made an impact in the premier league. I wouldn't be one of the posters on here who dramatically change their opinions of him as a player and start abusing him just because he has signed for Palace.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes and I would wish him luck although I would be very surprised if he made an impact in the premier league. I wouldn't be one of the posters on here who dramatically change their opinions of him as a player and abusing him just because he signed for Palace.

So exactly who do you suggest we replace him with from the £300K? I genuinely can't believe anyone can have that view whatever their view on Barnes.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Accrington Stanley?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here