Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guess the QPR FFP fine

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Nothing as they will refuse to pay

As if it will end there......

That'll be like getting a fine for speeding, then refusing to pay it. You will then be taken to court and forced to pay. QPR will be forced to pay, but i cant see it happening this year, more like on their return to the FL.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nothing.

Then you might as forget about FFP

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If the FL and PL can't agree, and QPR refuse to pay because 'they're in a different division', the FL should turn around and say 'ok, but if/when you're relegated from the Premier League, you'll have to enter at the very bottom of the pyramid.'

I know it will NEVER happen, but I would love that to be the response if the FL fine QPR but legal challenges mean QPR do not pay.

I hate all these legal challenges too. The Football League is the governing body, if you want to play in their leagues, you should abide by there rules, and not be shocked to be punished for breaking the rules! It's not like FFP was secretly brought in!

. . . and when the PL turns around and says, "OK - there won't be any relegations, nor promotions - we'll invite clubs to join the Premier League Division 2"!

Like you, can't see either scenario playing out.

The way football finances are QPR will probably be able to prove that they have complied with FFP!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nothing as they will refuse to pay

This and if they do get relegated in the future the Football League will still see **** all as QPR will plead poverty.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
As if it will end there......

That'll be like getting a fine for speeding, then refusing to pay it. You will then be taken to court and forced to pay. QPR will be forced to pay, but i cant see it happening this year, more like on their return to the FL.

As i have said on another thread on the subject, if QPR refuse to pay and the FL are forced to sue them, what assets do QPR actually have that bailiffs could actually sieze? - The ground? if it's not owned by a holding company otherwise....?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A piece on the BBC website today. You read up. Jog on Donkey x

Read up what? That's just opinion. QPR started the season knowing the rules that had been voted in by member clubs. If they refuse to pay what is rightly owed then they should be taken to court not only by the Football League but also by all the other clubs. The likes of Brighton and especially Derby could argue that they had an unfair advantage. With this in mind I could then see the FA taking a stance on the situation. As the regulatory body for all football in the country they could impose sanctions, thus backing up the Football League Rules, again as voted on by its' members.

The League could justifiably "fine" all clubs entering the league from the premiership the equivalent to the parachute payment and redistribute it among the other clubs. Now we all know this would cause the premiership to stop relegation. GREAT. How boring would that make the premiership 4 maybe 5 teams vying for the top the rest with nought to play for year after year. It would soon change its view.

There you go my opinion. It holds a much as the one on the BBC. NOTHING.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Payment of the fine will depend on the agreement between the FL and the PL. If they are in agreement then I would expect the fine to be paid by withholding from QPR any TV money they are due. The money would go to the charity via the PL and not via QPR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Payment of the fine will depend on the agreement between the FL and the PL. If they are in agreement then I would expect the fine to be paid by withholding from QPR any TV money they are due. The money would go to the charity via the PL and not via QPR

Premier League has said it will not withhold tv money, the fine is a matter between the Football League and the club. I reckon it will be £35M and if it gets paid at all, it will be paid in smaller installments. Leicester will have a fine of about £8M I reckon

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Premier League has said it will not withhold tv money, the fine is a matter between the Football League and the club. I reckon it will be £35M and if it gets paid at all, it will be paid in smaller installments. Leicester will have a fine of about £8M I reckon

Just seen that. What puzzles me then is if the PL will not withhold the tv money and not help in recovering the 'fine' then why do they get a say as to where the money goes, ie to charity rather than being distributed amongst those that comply.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So if their losses match last year's accounts, the fine should be £54,062,000, based on a loss of £65,381,000. This is calculated thus:

1. First £8 million in losses are ignored, as long as they are covered by the owner. So we're plugging £57,381,000 into the next step of the calculation.
  2. The next £10 million in losses triggers a fine on a sliding scale. This goes from zero to a maximum fine of £6,681,000. As QPR are well over that £10 million, they already have a fine of £6,681,000. That £10 million is now subtracted from the loss, leaving them with £47,381,000 million for the final punishment.
  3. Finally, any losses remaining after the first £18 million have been dealt with is converted to a fine. So in QPR's case we take their fine of £6,681,000 and add £47,381,000 to it, giving us £54,062,000.

Of course, that is based on last year's accounts. As a rough guess, if we take take £65,381,000, subtract the £39,752,462 QPR received in TV revenue in the Premier League, add the £23,000,000 in Parachute Payments we're left with a £82,133,462 loss. It took me a long time to find some TV revenue figures for the Championship (about £2 million it seems), but it turns out relegated clubs don't get any TV revenue, due to their Parachute Payments.

As for their wages, I've got no idea what it's like this year, so I took the average of Blackburn, Bolton and Wolverhampton in 2012/2013, the three clubs relegated from the Premier League at the end of 2011/2012, to give me £35,000,000. If QPR are anything like that (and they might well not be), that's a saving of £33,000,000 over their declared wage bill for 2012/2013. So subtracting that from £82,133,462 results in £49,133,462.

Right, plug £49,133,462 back into the formula above and we get a fine of £37,814,462. Given I'm approximating a LOT of things here, I'll go with a range from £33m to £43m. Whether the Football League will actually a) have the balls to go through with a fine on this scale, b) whether the Premier League/FA will actually allow/back this fine and c) whether QPR will actually pay up, is really up in the air. No idea on the front.

Note: Please let me know if any of the financial wizards on here think my numbers are wildly out of whack. I've done my best, but a lot of these things aren't that easy to look up.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, will QPR REFUSE to pay the fine which goes to CHARITY ???

Almighty winkers if they do..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here