Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Halford

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not a chance. Looked a decent tackle to me.
I was genuinely surprised it was even a yellow. Might just have been my normal blinkered view on these things but I thought it was a 50 / 50 ball which he got to relatively cleanly.

Anyone else have a better view of it?

Think it was a foul, because of the 'follow-through/loss of control', whatever this ridiculous phrase is. He was not off the ground, got to the ball first, by a split second, it ricocheted off the Fulham player for a throw in.

Also, thought is it was going to be a red, because of the way the ref ran over, but common sense prevailed. Probably a foul and just about a yellow, but that is debatable as well.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I thought Halford had a great game last night. Unlucky to be booked after being sold short by the pass and I think he won the ball anyway.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I thought Halford had a great game last night. Unlucky to be booked after being sold short by the pass and I think he won the ball anyway.

Couldn't believe he got booked. I know it's about intent these days but he won the ball and hardly touched their player. It wasn't a dangerous tackle either. Think referees are moving towards booking good challenges these days as they think the rules demand it.

I would be delighted to sign Halford permanently. As said elsewhere on this thread, I was underwhelmed when we signed him but he's been superb. If we get him permanently, the defence will be sorted and we can look at making attacking signings.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've been very surprised by Halford. In all honesty I thought he was bit of a plodder, but he has looked a good championship player. If we signed him, I would not be unhappy

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Another one here, putting their hand up, to admit that Greg Halford is a much better player* than I gave him credit for.

*but only at centre back!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Halfords contract is up at the end of the season, Forest are also under a transfer ban as their transfer dealings have meant they haven't met FFP. Transferring him out for a small fee and saving on wages might well be in their interests.

Might be worth a sneaky £25k bid. It is a pity that the FL cannot enforce the offers of FFP compliant clubs cherry picking at bargain basement prices.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
[SUP][/SUP]Don't think we will see him or his long throws before the end of January at best. Forest will want us to take over his full contract and we have only been paying part of his wages according to their forum.
Burke may be gone but there is no reason to expect us to act any quicker and It will be Hughton's decision anyway if he comes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Isnt he one of the players still in dispute for wages owed by Portsmouth or has that all finished now. Wonder what kind of wage he is on at Forest cos he was on good wage at Portsmouth. He has certainly played above my expectation of him but then we have played him as a CB his best position.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thought he was strong last night. I'd have that partnership over Greer I'm sorry to say.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Halfords contract is up at the end of the season, Forest are also under a transfer ban as their transfer dealings have meant they haven't met FFP. Transferring him out for a small fee and saving on wages might well be in their interests.
1) Can clubs with a transfer ban still sell players?
2) Can they not sign new contracts with their own players (effectively meaning they will run out of players)?

I haven't seen the challenge, but winning the ball doesn't mean it's not a foul, and if the follow-through is bad enough, you can still get sent off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isnt he one of the players still in dispute for wages owed by Portsmouth or has that all finished now. Wonder what kind of wage he is on at Forest cos he was on good wage at Portsmouth. He has certainly played above my expectation of him but then we have played him as a CB his best position.

In 2013 he was still owed £162k by Portsmouth who had arranged to pay him £4k a month over 40 months. It would need an accountant to go through their latest set of figures to work out if payments are still being made to ex players because some of them came to mutual agreements either taking a lump sum instead of extended payments or letting the debt be cancelled.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
1) Can clubs with a transfer ban still sell players?
All in the FFP rules , the embargoed club can sell players which then allows them to sign players on free transfers providing they don't cost anymore than the wages of the outgoing player (with an annual upper earnings limit of £600k in place)

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
[SUP][/SUP]Don't think we will see him or his long throws before the end of January at best. Forest will want us to take over his full contract and we have only been paying part of his wages according to their forum.
Burke may be gone but there is no reason to expect us to act any quicker and It will be Hughton's decision anyway if he comes.

They might do a permanent deal with us, that would also help us if we want to get further loans in as it would help us stay within the limit. If we make a move for him I'd expect it to be a transfer rather than a loan. Although possibly initially a loan for an extra month if it means he can play at Brentford for example before formalities completed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All in the FFP rules , the embargoed club can sell players which then allows them to sign players on free transfers providing they don't cost anymore than the wages of the outgoing player (with an annual upper earnings limit of £600k in place)
That would suggest they can't replace a player whose contract runs out in June, with a new player on a 3 year deal (as the wages over 3 years will be higher).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
annual earnings limit.. not total.
Thanks. Seems a bit daft to me - clubs that are about to fail FFP can just bring more players in on a year's contract, so that when the transfer embargo starts they have loads of players that they can switch as an when they like. If that's the case, it could be in Forest's interest to sell him now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here