Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Greg Clarke FA education 101.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It's bit of a minefield isn't it

I don't think so, anyone can educate themselves or simply keep with the times

Others are simply ignorant either by accident or by design

I think it comes from the same place as a large proportion of people who lack general human empathy, the people who happily see school children starve and people drown in the Channel

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is a bit disengenous.

Doctor Martin Luther King , in his very famous “I have a dream” speech used the term ‘ colored people’ or ‘ ‘colored citizen’ far more than the once he used the term’ people of color’

He was also known to use the term ‘Negro’ to describe Afro-American people.

Language changes, it always has done.
Gay used to be happy, Queer used to be strange.

Indeed. Time, place and even individual preference makes it all very non-universal.

I remember that for the first few years of my life "neger" was considered pretty politcally correct here in Sweden as long as you didnt use it in a derogatory way. Should perhaps clarify that the accurate translation of "neger" would be "negro" - "n*gger" was always seen as racist. Then all of a sudden one movie scene highlighted the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrRvHkZLNtY

After that there was a big debate and pretty much everyone except for the racists (and those who living under a rock) agreed that the word was not appropriate. I was seven or eight at the time and there was a black American (very weird and funny guy) living a couple of doors from my house and I remember him saying "white people might think that I am not a negro, but I sure as hell think I am!"

All a bit confusing.

Since then I just judge based on intent rather than based on whatever word is being used. In Sweden there is currently no equivalent of "BAME" or "Afro-American", there is no word or expression that would exclusively be considered ok or exclusively (bar obvious ones) not ok. Generally I think we should not be harsh on people who dont get it 100% right all the time.

And no, this is no defense of the Greg Clarke fella as his baggage turned out to be far more than just getting a word wrong.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I think it comes from the same place as a large proportion of people who lack general human empathy, the people who happily see school children starve and people drown in the Channel

That, quite frankly is a digraceful link to make...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Haven't read the whole thread, but from the last few posts it appears to be going better than I'd have expected.

FWIW, my view is that this was a demonstration of an old, out of touch, stuck in the past, guy getting his wording wrong, and revealing some of his underlying assumptions about the world, when he is undoubtedly in a position where he should be (and I am sure was) sufficiently briefed to avoid this mess.

Does this require a lynching and a 'national conversation'? No not really.

But is an old out of touch guy the right person to be running the FA? In my opinion, no.

So I am not up in arms and I am not deeply offended. My Grandma was far worse in her use of language and I tolerated her for many years. But I don't think my Grandma should have been running the FA. He needed to go.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Haven't read the whole thread, but from the last few posts it appears to be going better than I'd have expected.

FWIW, my view is that this was a demonstration of an old, out of touch, stuck in the past, guy getting his wording wrong, and revealing some of his underlying assumptions about the world, when he is undoubtedly in a position where he should be (and I am sure was) sufficiently briefed to avoid this mess.

Does this require a lynching and a 'national conversation'? No not really.

But is an old out of touch guy the right person to be running the FA? In my opinion, no.

So I am not up in arms and I am not deeply offended. My Grandma was far worse in her use of language and I tolerated her for many years. But I don't think my Grandma should have been running the FA. He needed to go.

Agree, I thought the use of the word abhorrent against Clarke's use of "coloured" was a bit over the top...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree, I thought the use of the word abhorrent against Clarke's use of "coloured" was a bit over the top...

Totally over the top. Abhorrent is a word to describe a set of views someone has or highly offensive or deliberately provocative use of racial words

He is guilty of clumsy language. Enough that it's right that he's gone, he clearly hasn't said anything abhorrent

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Funny isn’t it, how we castigate someone for defining people by their colour, then promptly lump everyone under the BAME banner as a means of identification.

I understand from fairly basic research that many people don’t like being described as BAME, finding it offensive and even racist.

well thats because it is ....obviouisly....!! , but it wasn't used by the chairman of the sweet F.A so therefore acceptable.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

****sake , i'd like to say you're growing on me but you ain't ...... you must have spent so much time trying to nosh yourself off you've damaged yourself.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
****sake , i'd like to say you're growing on me but you ain't ...... you must have spent so much time trying to nosh yourself off you've damaged yourself.

Agreed, I’ve heard (and spouted) plenty of shit over the years on NSC but his comment is probably in the top ten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's gone.

But I was going to start a thread about this. He's 63 and I'm 65. In the past, and that's a long time ago, the word coloured was the normal word to use. It was not racist I don't think, it was the word used instead of black. Whilst I do not use that word any more, under pressure in front of a group of MP's maybe I could slip into old talk. He did go on to talk about Asians I believe and many of the things he said were not right in this day and in no way am I defending him, other than it could so easily be anyone aged 60 or over.
Waiting to be shot down but hope someone will defend me.

You now prefer "brain dead" when discussing other people.

So much better.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You now prefer "brain dead" when discussing other people.

So much better.

bloody hell ....really...?? are you sure ...?? do you actually KNOW any black people , i've got black mates from London ,Luton , Bristol and Manchester .......it's open slather mate , between friends like .........this whole issue is bloody ridiculous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
bloody hell ....really...?? are you sure ...?? do you actually KNOW any black people , i've got black mates from London ,Luton , Bristol and Manchester .......it's open slather mate , between friends like .........this whole issue is bloody ridiculous.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
You clearly have no idea what I was talking about, to a specific poster, regarding repeated comments.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Much of the talk has been about change at the top of the FA. To be honest, the whole structure of the FA needs change. I am pretty sure it has been structured more or less as it is since the 1800s. The archaic system of county FAs, mainly run by well meaning do gooders, needs to change but I think it will be difficult to budge them. They do a lot of good but I am not convinced they are fit for purpose in the 21st century. I just hope that the Premier League don’t end up as their replacement.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I hope our club won't be dipping into its (depleted) coffers to contribute to a leaving "gift" this time around.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
John Barnes on Clarke. John does sound off a lot but on this issue he does cut through the pious perch run...

[Tweet]1326463855409696768[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here