Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer - New deal after no deal with Leeds

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No wonder there's so much misinformation on NSC if people base their opinions on articles they haven't even read properly. Amazing that some still think that's about Greer even after it's been pointed out to them.

If you actually read the posts, I'm not an illiterate moron who needs anything "pointed out" to me. I have read that several times, and, to my mind, it is very ambiguously written but those quotes are about Greer. Either way you cannot claim you definitely KNOW which player the quotes are about.

Anyway, my point stands - McDermott is being a **** trying to unsettle someone's player, we just can't agree whose.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think those who question Greer's place in the team don't appreciate how much of a leader he is. Expects 100% from everyone in training, or lets them know about it and takes that into games. Swindon fans looked pretty foolish when they claimed they wouldn't miss him. Granted he's a few years older now but I think Oscar's seen him in training and realised there is no way we can let him go. Hugely important player for us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I wonder if Garcia is happy Greer is staying, after all he was one of Poyet's signings and his captain. It would have made sense to me for Greer to move on and Garcia appoint his own man. There is way, way too much stacked against Garcia atm, would have made sense to cut a few of the Poyet signings adrift.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Good. About time we at least tried to keep hold of asset players. Besides. I fricking hate Leeds.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just because Oscar did not sign him automatically means he does not like him as a player? What!? That makes no sense.
By your logic Carlo Ancelotti should be shipping out Ronaldo any time now as he can't like him as he is not his player. Do you think Guardiola is getting rid of Lahm and Schweinsteiger as well then?

I'd hardly put Greer in that envelope, but each to there own. In my opinion, all we need is a few more bad results and the dressing room will start looking at the manager, it's human nature especially when 95% of that dressing room have still got Poyet ringing in their ears. It wouldn't hurt to say goodbye to a few of his signings. Garcia is playing with someone else's toys atm.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This is really interesting. If Leeds are claiming Greer's advisers had indicated he wanted to leave it is completely at odds with the fact he ultimately chose to sign a new contract with us. Personally I think Leeds are stirring having failed to get their man!!

Leeds aren't claiming anything about Greer. It's about a different player. In fact, there's nothing in there at all that substantiates Leeds 'interest' in Greer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you actually read the posts, I'm not an illiterate moron who needs anything "pointed out" to me. I have read that several times, and, to my mind, it is very ambiguously written but those quotes are about Greer. Either way you cannot claim you definitely KNOW which player the quotes are about.

Anyway, my point stands - McDermott is being a **** trying to unsettle someone's player, we just can't agree whose.

They have tagged an unsubstantiated line about Greer to the top of a story updating people on the situation with Mills, for whom they had confirmed they made an inquiry recently. Badly written, yes. Difficult to work out, no.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
People claiming others are stupid for thinking the quotes are in reference to Greer- have you actually read it?

Doesn't say that they have made any move for Mills, just that they were 'linked'. Then refers to the aforementioned 'bids' for Greer.

Shockingly bad writing, but I read it that the quotes are referring to GG. I gather they saw it as relevant to add it as Mills is also a CB? I don't know.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
People claiming others are stupid for thinking the quotes are in reference to Greer- have you actually read it?

Doesn't say that they have made any move for Mills, just that they were 'linked'. Then refers to the aforementioned 'bids' for Greer.

Shockingly bad writing, but I read it that the quotes are referring to GG. I gather they saw it as relevant to add it as Mills is also a CB? I don't know.

I don't think people are stupid for thinking that it was about Greer (it is badly written), but the article introduces the quotes from McDermott as something he said after he was linked to matt mills, not as something said in response to missing out on Greer.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think those who question Greer's place in the team don't appreciate how much of a leader he is. Expects 100% from everyone in training, or lets them know about it and takes that into games. Swindon fans looked pretty foolish when they claimed they wouldn't miss him. Granted he's a few years older now but I think Oscar's seen him in training and realised there is no way we can let him go. Hugely important player for us.

I'm inclined to disagree with most of this. Whether he keeps his leadership skills exclusively for defending the South end, all I see from him is his tendency to bollock PIG for everything, regardless of who's at fault. He seems to offer very little encouragement to the side which is made all the more obvious when Bridcutt is playing. Last season he looked very good, but I'm wondering what is because he was protected by a class left back and 2 defensive midfielders sitting in front of him all of the time. He's being exposed a great deal more know and he isn't looking so sharp for it.

I'm a little concerned about the whole 'project' that Oscar has been sold, or mis-sold perhaps.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I'm inclined to disagree with most of this. Whether he keeps his leadership skills exclusively for defending the South end, all I see from him is his tendency to bollock PIG for everything, regardless of who's at fault. He seems to offer very little encouragement to the side which is made all the more obvious when Bridcutt is playing. Last season he looked very good, but I'm wondering what is because he was protected by a class left back and 2 defensive midfielders sitting in front of him all of the time. He's being exposed a great deal more know and he isn't looking so sharp for it.

I'm a little concerned about the whole 'project' that Oscar has been sold, or mis-sold perhaps.

This.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Leave any defender exposed and you've got problems. Greer and Upson are as good a partnership as any in this league and with a balanced team in front of them, with Kuszczak behind them, and we should be right up there for the best defence in the league.

But we have already shipped in 4. And that is down to the overall shape and balance of the team picked by Oscar.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
Gordon Greer

Just my opinion but yes.

Think last seasons defence were covered a lot by Bridges pace, allowed others the time to get back in numbers. This is now a luxury we don't have.

Looking at the CB pairing of Greer and Upson I would rather see a younger faster, fitter player in the place of one of that pair and to me Greer is the weak link.

He's also not the most commanding of captains from the evidence presented to my eyes so yes, thanks for the service, but yes time to move on.

Very Very True.
l feel he his well past his best and by keeping him we has a club are going backwards.

Theyorkshireseagull

Aug 31, 2011
Leeds
After the game at Leeds, we hung around for a while to avoid walking back through the Leeds crowd to where we'd parked. Greer must have spent 20 minutes with a couple of Leeds players and an agent who one of their lot said was Paddy Kenny's agent as well or something, was obvious there was some tapping up going on, "are we gonna see you soon" talk. Seemed a bit dodgy to me, very over-familiar with him. I wondered what the other albion players must have thought, sat on the coach watching on, not a great example.

Good that we keep him, need a few leaders/seasoned professionals around the camp, great for the younger lads, especially when the chips are down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if Garcia is happy Greer is staying, after all he was one of Poyet's signings and his captain. It would have made sense to me for Greer to move on and Garcia appoint his own man. There is way, way too much stacked against Garcia atm, would have made sense to cut a few of the Poyet signings adrift.

Oscar has had the opportunity to pick his own skipper, but has seen what Poyet saw, that Greer is a leader who inspires the team on the pitch.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just my opinion but yes.

Think last seasons defence were covered a lot by Bridges pace, allowed others the time to get back in numbers. This is now a luxury we don't have.

Looking at the CB pairing of Greer and Upson I would rather see a younger faster, fitter player in the place of one of that pair and to me Greer is the weak link.

He's also not the most commanding of captains from the evidence presented to my eyes so yes, thanks for the service, but yes time to move on.

If we are going to play as open as we did on Saturday, Greers days are number IMHO. Upson's a great reader of the game so we will need a more physical specimin alongside him with pace.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
....on this note, any sign of the so far, very elusive new signings???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here