Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green with envy Stoke

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I went to the Britannia once for an evening game, think it was the year we got relegated from the Championship.

We parked near a pub, and started walking towards the stadium which we could see lit up in the distance. One of our group decides he's spotted a shortcut across a field. It was pitch black, and it turned out to be VERY muddy. We struggled on though till we got to the other side of the field, caked in mud, only to be confronted with a large wire fence, far too tall to climb over. We ended up walking twice the distance just to follow the bloody fence round and back into civilisation (or whatever passes for civilisation in Stoke anyway). Just about made kickoff, freezing bloody cold, mud all over my trainers and trousers, and we got beat. Like Yeovil, one of those trips I sincerely wished I hadn't bothered with.

Same game I was at, I remember having to walk for bloody miles to get to the ground. Stayed in a B&B that night and were woken up the next day by the German couple in the next door room shagging the bloody place down at 6am!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Despite poor results up there, I enjoyed our visits to The Britannia and the way the Stokies all join in with a very loud 'ha ha ha ha' from Delilah when they score is very, very impressive indeed.

Yeah, it's got the loudest acoustics I've heard. But it is a strange stadium.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Always seems cold and windy & we have never done well at Stoke (either ground) and there are no plans to fill the three of the four empty corners in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Too many gay jibes on that thread for my liking - i particularly like the fact that every club seems to wonder how we're gonna fill it (based on the Withers gates i imagine) - can't wait to hear what they say next season...

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
There stadium only cost 15m, puts in into perspective, we should be getting something special for 105m or whatever it is now :shock:

Need to compare like with like-theirs was completed 14 years ago come August. Build cost inflation at say 5% pa takes theirs up to not much short of £25m now. Also 14 years ago health and safety, disability requirements (how many lifts do we have?!), green issues etc were nothing like today. Plus they have much less hospitality than we do (I guess balanced by our smaller capacity though). Ours is still a shedload more at c£70m (think this includes land cost as well), but not quite £15m v £105m!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
No, I've not been to the Brit but a few times to the Vic.

is their ground really 14 years old? How time flies.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's all true. My one trip there was awful. Firstly it was really cold, the wind flies into the very exposed stands due to there being no corners as others have said, secondly I had a bad case of the shits which I just about contained until half time, and thirdly we lost comfortably, I think 3-0.

However will look forward to going there again. I think our football may well do well against them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here