Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Green Party

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Maybe because the voters in Hartlepool have seen what a shambles the two Green councils have been in B&H ? The likes of Kitcat, Duncan and Phlem ? The i360 project ? The failures of the 7 Dials, Lewes Road and Edward Street ? The utter lack of understanding that they need to engage with the local population around decisions rather than using the "we known best" mantra ? The daft thing is that Caroline Lucas is actually a very good MP but local Green councillors and candidates are utter effing morons.

yeh I bet the local news in Hartlepool is flooded with what Brighton & Hove Council are up to

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
The greens are idealistic and few of their policies are sensible for living in the real world . They have lots of support mainly from idealistic lefty students who have switched allegiances from ultra lefty Corbyn to move away from the more sensible centre ground current Labour leader .

No one who understands politics would vote for green - only in Brighton !

this isn't true in Brighton. The "lefty students" still vote Labour primarily

The bulk of the Green vote comes from young professionals

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Greens i'm sure would love to do away with people driving and they impose 20 speed limits. You'd think they would rather everybody cycled.

Love them to explain how the country would run economically.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I know you're trolling as normal but these sorts of posts really do make me laugh. Brighton has been an arty, seedy, alternative and high camp town for most of the modern era and progressive for longer than when the University of Sussex came into existence. It had Health Food shops galore when I was growing up in the 70s and my parents had friends who were vegetarian and friends who were openly gay and probably those who were both. Food for Friends is a city centre institution and there's always been a strong cycling and running culture thanks to the proximity of the Downs.

This make up of socially liberal, green, educated professionals with the proliferation of jobs in the media and arts, combined with a very hedonistic party attitude makes it the place it is. Either you have chosen to live here or you have chosen to support the football team that lives here so you must absolutely love it in reality. Otherwise you're a massive hypocrite.

I'm born and bred in Sussex but never lived in Brighton. It used to be a lovely town when I was a kid, but frankly it's been going downhill steadily for a number of years. Much of the city looks decrepit and unloved, the graffiti is awful and no attempt seems to be made to clean it off, the homeless are everywhere and the traffic is a nightmare. I love the Brighton I remember as a kid, but I'm not that keen on its present incarnation. As for the football team, as a Sussex lad I of course have supported my local team since I was a kid, and still do.

As for "trolling", I still don't understand the word. I was stating an opinion, something I believe we still have the right to do.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Greens i'm sure would love to do away with people driving and they impose 20 speed limits. You'd think they would rather everybody cycled.

Love them to explain how the country would run economically.

This is extreme though - many changes could be made to bring about improvements before that.

The country functioned pretty well before everything became road based. I was interested to read about the Scottish fishermen who were struggling when the channel ports were in their post-brexit crisis - I had assumed that they exported from Scotland - but no, their fish is trucked all the way down from northern Scotland to the South Coast. All of that could/should go by train, or by ship. Indeed, a lot more could go by train, with the road transport for the final leg - but we have all got used to 'next day deliveries' now - which generally means fast road transport, so we've partly created this.

WFH - that is almost a perfect Green policy. My fuel bill has fallen off the cliff in the last year - sometimes it's been a month (or more) between filling up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is extreme though - many changes could be made to bring about improvements before that.

The country functioned pretty well before everything became road based. I was interested to read about the Scottish fishermen who were struggling when the channel ports were in their post-brexit crisis - I had assumed that they exported from Scotland - but no, their fish is trucked all the way down from northern Scotland to the South Coast. All of that could/should go by train, or by ship. Indeed, a lot more could go by train, with the road transport for the final leg - but we have all got used to 'next day deliveries' now - which generally means fast road transport, so we've partly created this.

WFH - that is almost a perfect Green policy. My fuel bill has fallen off the cliff in the last year - sometimes it's been a month (or more) between filling up.

we should build more rail to increase capacity and then more freight could move to rail. whats the Green party view the latest rail development? thats right they oppose it as a white elephant (even though wanting to increase capcity) and see it as an act of Ecocide.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
we should build more rail to increase capacity and then more freight could move to rail. whats the Green party view the latest rail development? thats right they oppose it as a white elephant (even though wanting to increase capcity) and see it as an act of Ecocide.

They're actually saying that it would be better to invest in other (long-promised) rail improvements. Getting across the country up here takes forever - the long awaited and promised improvements to cross-pennine rail links have been shelved in favour of increasing capacity in and out of London. Which just makes the country even more capital-heavy, and doesn't really benefit the economy so much as linking the northern cities together would.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's highly misleading. The Green Party is not saying don't move freight to rail and is, in fact, calling for more investment in rail. What the party is saying is that this particular project is a waste of money.

It's a bit like saying Boris Johnson is opposed to air travel because he was opposed to the expansion of Heathrow.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Maybe because the voters in Hartlepool have seen what a shambles the two Green councils have been in B&H ? The likes of Kitcat, Duncan and Phlem ? The i360 project ? The failures of the 7 Dials, Lewes Road and Edward Street ? The utter lack of understanding that they need to engage with the local population around decisions rather than using the "we known best" mantra ? The daft thing is that Caroline Lucas is actually a very good MP but local Green councillors and candidates are utter effing morons.

I doubt that very much, they would not have a clue what council Brighton has, they dont know what is happening outside Hartlepool, or in it for that matter.
Hartlepool is like a little republic (of Poolies) a strange place made up of illiterate scumbags, drug addicts, football fans that think it is really funny to dress up all the same 1 day per year, its a shithole, always has been always will be whoever runs the place.
The women are sluts
The men are stupid beyond compare.
Haddock and Chips 9/10
And Jeff Stelling.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's highly misleading. The Green Party is not saying don't move freight to rail and is, in fact, calling for more investment in rail. What the party is saying is that this particular project is a waste of money.

of course, its the wrong sort of rail investment. spending on regional upgrades, while worthwhile, wouldnt increase capacity much. if you want to increase capacity, need to build more, and that means some woods and newt populations being affected.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I see Green candidate in Hartlepool got just 350 votes. Why is it that people only vote Green in Brighton. They must be very disappointed that for years they have made no headway

Just checking the numbers. As of 13.53 on the bbc website Greens have added 57 new councillors. Surprised B&H has that many on the council.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I doubt that very much, they would not have a clue what council Brighton has, they dont know what is happening outside Hartlepool, or in it for that matter.
Hartlepool is like a little republic (of Poolies) a strange place made up of illiterate scumbags, drug addicts, football fans that think it is really funny to dress up all the same 1 day per year, its a shithole, always has been always will be whoever runs the place.
The women are sluts
The men are stupid beyond compare.
Haddock and Chips 9/10
And Jeff Stelling.

They speak very highly of the shithole that is Plymouth as well !

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The greens are idealistic and few of their policies are sensible for living in the real world . They have lots of support mainly from idealistic lefty students who have switched allegiances from ultra lefty Corbyn to move away from the more sensible centre ground current Labour leader .

No one who understands politics would vote for green - only in Brighton !

Have you actually ever read any of their policies? I would guess not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I voted Green at these elections, because there's only so much longer we can pretend the policies they're talking about aren't global priorities. Not just for our kids, but for people living now.

I also voted Green because I never vote Tory (sorry, I'm just not on that side of the political spectrum), the Lib Dems no longer interest or convince me, and Labour is too busy having an ideological civil war.

I also voted Green because, even if they never get near having "real" power, the more people who support their general policy direction, the more likelihood there is that bigger parties will consider adopting some of their policies.

It worked for Ukip. The Tories were so spooked by the way their vote was rising that they ended up pretty much adopting the Farage manifesto.

Is it? I missed that - and I'm a member!

I though they were launching another dull policy review. It's hardly Derk Hatton and the deselection of any PMs sitting who refuse to sing The Interlationale in Russian ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EMx7Y16Vo

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it? I missed that - and I'm a member!

I though they were launching another dull policy review. It's hardly Derk Hatton and the deselection of any PMs sitting who refuse to sing The Interlationale in Russian ???
Yes, Militant Tendency did a great deal of harm to Labour. It may have gone, but Momentum is doing a good job of carrying on its work! Lot of sorting out still to do!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here