Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party Racists

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
At the risk of stating the obvious, membership of the Green Party in Brighton is not a cross-section of the UK population. It's not even a cross-section of the Brighton population being, from my observation (not just from this picture, but from local Green Party people I've met), overwhelmingly middle-class. It's not at all surprising therefore that (in Brighton anyway) they're going to be pretty much overwhelmingly white. I certainly don't think that makes them racist, and most of them seem a well-meaning enough bunch, although you might wonder how in touch the Green Party members are with the needs and concerns of working class people, disadvantaged people and people from ethnic minorities.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Seeing as the Greens are in favour of fair wages, affordable housing, maintaining a genuinely public NHS, fighting welfare cuts and every kind of ism you can shake a stick at etc, I'd suggest they have the needs and concerns of working class, disadvantaged and minorities at heart. In the House of Commons Caroline Lucas at least is giving those people a voice that the major parties do not. Just because the membership is currently representative of a narrow part of society (although now they are third largest party in terms of members who knows how that has changed), does not mean they themselves have a narrow agenda.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Seeing as the Greens are in favour of fair wages, affordable housing, maintaining a genuinely public NHS, fighting welfare cuts and every kind of ism you can shake a stick at etc, I'd suggest they have the needs and concerns of working class, disadvantaged and minorities at heart. In the House of Commons Caroline Lucas at least is giving those people a voice that the major parties do not. Just because the membership is currently representative of a narrow part of society (although now they are third largest party in terms of members who knows how that has changed), does not mean they themselves have a narrow agenda.

I don't disagree with this, although in the same way that the modern Labour Party's credibility as a genuine party of the working class and disadvantaged would be stronger if their MP's and leadership weren't so dominated by middle class Oxbridge types, something similar applies to the Green Party -- their policies are 'progressive', but they'd be more plausible advocates of them if one had the impression that they were at least partly based on the lived experience of some of their members. That's a key problem with many political parties (perhaps not the Tories and UKIP), namely that the people they claim to be speaking on behalf of don't feel that the representatives of the party are really 'people like us'.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't disagree with this, although in the same way that the modern Labour Party's credibility as a genuine party of the working class and disadvantaged would be stronger if their MP's and leadership weren't so dominated by middle class Oxbridge types, something similar applies to the Green Party -- their policies are 'progressive', but they'd be more plausible advocates of them if one had the impression that they were at least partly based on the lived experience of some of their members. That's a key problem with many political parties (perhaps not the Tories and UKIP), namely that the people they claim to be speaking on behalf of don't feel that the representatives of the party are really 'people like us'.

I do not disagree with this at all. It's something all parties need to address.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Here's a fine example of the UKIP candidate in Aldershot. Gurkhas are parasites apparently.
http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/ukip/ukip-candidate-labels-gurkhas-as-parasites-4426
Something needs to be done by who ever wins the election though.Aldershot is at breaking point ,a lot of the Gurkhas live in accomadation that kicks them out at 9am and won't let them back to 6pm .No work so they have to wander around all day.Where is the lovely Ms Lumley these days?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
And the Czechs!

Ah, are those the Sudetan Czechs you mean or other Czechs?

Not all the Poles were on the same side either.....................and whilst we are on the subject, where are we on the Romanians and Bulgarians at this time...................not to mention the Croats?

D

Deleted member 22389

Which is why I was a Labour voter in the past, but now giving my vote to UKIP.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I saw Caroline Lucas picking up a prescription in the Boots at Fiveways.

Does that count?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here