Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party Leader on LBC

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Good job it wasn't a Paxman interview!

Anyway, poor girl was having a bad day at the office....

Let's not forget they all blunder from time to time

Miliband.... forgot the deficit in a major speech

Cameron.. forgot his daughter (age 7) when he left her in the pub and was on his way home before him and his bodyguards realised!

Clegg... I'm sure he has blundered at some stage

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've listened to both Natalie Bennett and Caroline Lucas when they're really pushed on the policies they put in their manifesto and every time, I come away thinking that their figures don't add up. They also both crumble completely when they're put on the spot about particular policies.

At the last Question Time Caroline Lucas was on, she looked completely out of her depth and would constantly come back with arguments that were unrealistic.

The Greens are a typical fringe party that will make promises whilst they are out of power, but as soon as they are elected, are unable to follow their pledges through. BH Council is the prime example of this and their policies are why they are having to sell of large amounts of council land and have overseen the largest ever redevelopment of land in Brighton & Hove.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good job it wasn't a Paxman interview!

Cameron.. forgot his daughter (age 7) when he left her in the pub and was on his way home before him and his bodyguards realised!

Indeed we're all human. Also LBC is just a tadge politically motivated, its never liked anyone on the left. Surprised Jon Gaunt has got a job there yet...

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
That was horrendous, and the second time she has done this in an interview after her nightmare with Andrew Neil about the citizens income.

Sad thing is Caroline Lucas is such a good speaker and a pretty decent MP for her local constituents, being seriously undermined by the party leader and the mess that Kitkat is making of the local council.

Yes I am afraid so and sadly for Caroline, it would not be correct to separate her out from colleagues nationally and locally.

Although funnily enough, I had her campaigners around a few weeks back and they blatantly said and I quote "Oh Caroline has got nothing to with any of that" when I questioned them about refuse and arguing amongst themselves.

The numbers do not look good for Caroline. Brighton born and bred were happy to throw their lot in with the students last time out. It was worth a chance even with the benefit of hindsight.

Even among my immediate group of friends and family she/they are facing a net deficit of seven votes. Not good I guess when your majority is not much more than 1000 votes overall. The student vote just will not be enough to save her. Sad really...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not the best interview, Natalie is not a patch on Lucas

That said unlike UKIP who claim to be different, the Greens are a real alternative to the 3 main parties. Yes, they have some crack pot ideas, but stick to their core ethos. A lot to be said for that...

They've done plenty of U-Turns while running the council .....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Indeed we're all human. Also LBC is just a tadge politically motivated, its never liked anyone on the left. Surprised Jon Gaunt has got a job there yet...

All the more reason to

a) be sure of your facts when you go on and
b) pull out if you're feeling a bit peeky.

It reminded me of listening to the annoying bint in the office who comes in no matter how ill because she's "needed" and proceeds to f*** everything up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just hope that Caroline Lucas (and other minority party MPs to be fair) are judged on their performances as constituency MPs rather than this sort of nonsensical interview from on high.

Let's be clear - UKIP, Greens, Respect and a good few others are not going to be in a position to dictate national policy. At best, they might influence it. So why should we even pay attention to interviews detailing macro level policy for such insignificant parties?

Personally I'll be voting for who i think will best represent my constituency, such is my disdain for the major parties at the moment.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Utterly, utterly clueless. Vote for these clowns at your peril. I think we need an Anyone But Greens campaign in the key seats to counteract the doped up students, politically correct DFLs and vegan non-vaccinators that now make up their support. Get out and vote in May and get them out.

Well. I'm going to vote for Caroline Lucas and I don't fit any of those three categories. I'll vote for her because she has been an excellent local MP, most committed B&H MP since Andrew Bowden. Why would I want to vote out such a good representative?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Well. I'm going to vote for Caroline Lucas and I don't fit any of those three categories. I'll vote for her because she has been an excellent local MP, most committed B&H MP since Andrew Bowden. Why would I want to vote out such a good representative?

Must admit I have never voted Green in any election, local or General, but in the times when I have emailed Caroline Lucas she has been prompt to respond, taken notice of my issue/concerns and has actively campaigned on issues that I agree with.

I may not agree with all the party policies, but I do think she is an excellent MP.

Will give me a lot to think about before I put my X in the box.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That was horrendous, and the second time she has done this in an interview after her nightmare with Andrew Neil about the citizens income.

Exactly. The one where practically every other question, when he tried to pin her down to detail, was answered with "if your viewers would like to check our website..." Absolutely woeful. She is so woolly on her own parties manifesto, she consistently collapses at the first hint of any scrutiny and seems completely unprepared whenever anyone puts a mic in front of her.

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't at the same time so depressing.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Apart from its main daytime presenter who obliterated IDS recently you mean?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Exactly. The one where practically every other question, when he tried to pin her down to detail, was answered with "if your viewers would like to check our website..." Absolutely woeful. She is so woolly on her own parties manifesto, she consistently collapses at the first hint of any scrutiny and seems completely unprepared whenever anyone puts a mic in front of her.

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't at the same time so depressing.

Ah yes, this little gem.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFn8RIXOBE

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In that case, £2.7b covers 10,384 homes.

On the flip side, half a million homes at £260k a pop is £130,000,000,000
What's stopping the Green's, when they get in power, printing a £130,000,000,010 note?

I added a tenner just in case they wanted some cash back..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I meant in the local elections. I agree with you on Caroline Lucas funnily enough as does ex-Tory [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

I simply can't have another term of u-turns, in fighting, appalling recycling rates, no rubbish collected and unrealistic budgeting locally though. And God help us if more than a couple get elected nationally.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You know how in various strains of the Batman story, he will be retired and "past it" and "too old for this shit" etc but every so often someone comes along so heinous that he simply HAS to drag himself out of retirement one last time, come back to answer the Bat Signal?

This needs the Pax Signal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Poor girl? She's the leader of a party that wants several seats in our parliament, and would want more the next time round.

Although they're all interviewed more than Bennett, there has never been an interview with any of them where they have been as clueless about basic policy facts and sums. She thinks they can build 500,000 new homes for a few billion, at £60k each, largely paid for by a new tax that would force many renters out of their homes.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Seriously, why didn't she just say she didn't have the figures to hand? Admit she should have been more clued up before the interview and move on.

What really is unfathomable is that she recently went on TV and got completely humiliated for not knowing the figures behind her policies, yet, as the LBC clip shows, she then went on the radio and again didn't have adequate figures! At this point we only have three possible scenarios. A) the figures have never been costed and are likely pie in the sky estimates ungrounded in anything resembling fact or B) she's knows the facts but would rathe humiliate herself publicly, multiple times, than reveal them - or C) She's an idiot.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
interview missed a trick, having exposed the lack of comprehension of the numbers, the KO would have been to ask where these 500k homes would be built: how much of the green belt, playing fields, parks, city nature reserves etc would be needed? and if its all magic brownfield, who's paying for all the clean up on those sites and were is all the waste spoil going? I'd like the Green response to those.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to Green Party sources, Natalie Bennett is "considering her position". They should have voted Peter Cranie in the first place, bet he'll get the gig now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here