Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party Hypocrisy Unbelievable

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whilst I tend to agree with you surely by making all of the above expensive creates an even bigger divide between rich and poor?

I’d like to see 1 registered car per household introduced as an example?

Flying, not sure what to do about that [emoji1745]

Meat, again very difficult [emoji1745]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is a divide between rich and poor as part of climate change but it's between rich and poor countries and between living and dying. I would say it might be worth getting the ferry to France or going without red meat a couple of times a week if it helps end hunger caused by drought or dying in a flood.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You seem very quick to forgive him but not so quick to forgive polticians of other parties. For me I hold to account ALL politicians - no forgiveness - they should all be held accountable at the ballot box as hopefully Phelm will be.

How is holding Johnson to account for that Get Brexit Done thing you voted for going :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So the PM, Cabinet and Government responsible for actually running the country are getting fresh multi million pound corruptions being highlighted daily, whilst trying to change any and all rules on accountability and JCFG, Chicken Run, Westdene Seagull etc are meanwhile completely tied up with the fact a Green Councillor took a flight.

Who would have thunk it :lolol:

Now That's whataboutism :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Utter disgrace. If he's travelling anywhere other than on bare feet powered entirely by grass he himself has grown in his garden he's a HYPOCRITE and should be PUNISHED.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They weren't the party that signed us up to a 30 year Veolia contract to be fair.

Good grief .... I've covered this fallacy in so many posts !!!!! So for the hard of hearing, or understanding :

1. The Veolia contract has NOTHING to do with recycling rates. They just dispose of the rubbish.

2. Would I have ever signed a 30 year contract ( other than my mortgage ) probably not. BUT Veolia paid for, built and run the Newhaven plant. So it's understandable that they might want a decent length contract to recover the build costs.

3. All recycling is sorted at Hollingdean, separated and then sent to the appropriate recycling plants ( mainly Battersea ) and Veolia do that transportation. They don't do the sorting.

4. All household rubbish from the green bins and general street bins is given to Veolia and they take it to be incinerated at Newhaven.

5. The council, currently the Greens, need to look at how to get people to put recycling in the recycling bin rather than the green bin. Something you'd think the Greens might understand. The quickest, easiest and cheapest way of doing this would be to drop normal rubbish collections to every other week and increase recycling pickup to every week.

6. Cityclean wanted to implement point 5 when the Greens were last running the council ( Jason Kitcat and Ben Duncan ! ) and the Greens refused to implement it.

7. The council should collect more recycling - i.e. there are some plastics that they refuse but other councils accept and there is no food waste collection despite numerous councils across the country doing so. Yet the Greens have done nothing towards making this happen.

So in summary, the Greens have it within their power to increase the recycling rate and to prevent stuff going to Newhaven but instead have concentrated on pointless cycle lanes etc.

PS - I'm not an employee of Veolia.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
How is holding Johnson to account for that Get Brexit Done thing you voted for going :lolol:

You really can't stop yourself bringing Brexit into everything can you ? You seem very bitter. It's over, we've left. Leave Brexit to the remainers echo chamber in the Bear Pit.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The message I take from this is that it is ok to be different and give priority to the speediest means of transport if the budget allows.

...except it's cheaper to fly than take the train.

Had a little look and booking a month in advance Brighton to Glasgow for a couple of days can be done for about £120 by train, about £70 return flying from Gatwick (plus whatever the train to Gatwick costs).

:shrug:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
205BC40F-DAB0-4595-8686-7361B6B7B030.jpeg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You really can't stop yourself bringing Brexit into everything can you ? You seem very bitter. It's over, we've left. Leave Brexit to the remainers echo chamber in the Bear Pit.

As I pointed out to you last time you said this exact same thing,

It's over and we are out, so why don't the Government simply implement their 'Oven Ready Great Brexit Deal' and stop trying to go back and re-open the Brexit negotiations, and all that entails. Maybe implement the Northern Ireland Protocol they came up with and put some Import controls in place. I'm sure that keeping on trying re-open the BREXIT negotiations wasn't what you wanted when you voted for it and then voted for Johnson to implement it, was it ?

I'm sure you simply wanted to GET BREXIT DONE.

I was simply asking how your 'holding all politicians to account - no forgiveness' was manifesting itself on this, but I'm not seeking to embarrass you on this so I'll leave it there :shrug:

Last edited:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Whilst I tend to agree with you surely by making all of the above expensive creates an even bigger divide between rich and poor?

I’d like to see 1 registered car per household introduced as an example?

Flying, not sure what to do about that [emoji1745]

Meat, again very difficult [emoji1745]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With regard to flying, why not add it to your tax return, everyone pays a small tax the first flight you do per year, then each one after that is taxed as a percentage of income? The rich and poor at least then pay a cost which is proportional to what they earn.

Read a stat in the newspaper recently that 70% of flights per annum are done by 15% of people in GB. It’s therefore better to target the serial offenders imo.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
With regard to flying, why not add it to your tax return, everyone pays a small tax the first flight you do per year, then each one after that is taxed as a percentage of income? The rich and poor at least then pay a cost which is proportional to what they earn.

Read a stat in the newspaper recently that 70% of flights per annum are done by 15% of people in GB. It’s therefore better to target the serial offenders imo.

I quite like the idea of everyone have a set of carbon credits. For simplicity sake let's say 100 credits a year. Those credits then go against what you use. Drive your car 40k a year - 4 credits. Drive your car 10k a year - 1 credit. Flights would be based on per thousand miles. Other things such as heating system etc would also attract credit reduction. When you run out no driving, no flying, no more heating ( controversial I know ) etc. No trading of credits. That way rich people don't benefit from being rich.

Don't get me wrong - no idea how it would be administered and you'd want to ensure vulnerable people didn't die from the cold etc but something needs to happen to 'level the playing field' between rich and poor when it comes to climate change.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good grief .... I've covered this fallacy in so many posts !!!!! So for the hard of hearing, or understanding :

1. The Veolia contract has NOTHING to do with recycling rates. They just dispose of the rubbish.

2. Would I have ever signed a 30 year contract ( other than my mortgage ) probably not. BUT Veolia paid for, built and run the Newhaven plant. So it's understandable that they might want a decent length contract to recover the build costs.

3. All recycling is sorted at Hollingdean, separated and then sent to the appropriate recycling plants ( mainly Battersea ) and Veolia do that transportation. They don't do the sorting.

4. All household rubbish from the green bins and general street bins is given to Veolia and they take it to be incinerated at Newhaven.

5. The council, currently the Greens, need to look at how to get people to put recycling in the recycling bin rather than the green bin. Something you'd think the Greens might understand. The quickest, easiest and cheapest way of doing this would be to drop normal rubbish collections to every other week and increase recycling pickup to every week.

6. Cityclean wanted to implement point 5 when the Greens were last running the council ( Jason Kitcat and Ben Duncan ! ) and the Greens refused to implement it.

7. The council should collect more recycling - i.e. there are some plastics that they refuse but other councils accept and there is no food waste collection despite numerous councils across the country doing so. Yet the Greens have done nothing towards making this happen.

So in summary, the Greens have it within their power to increase the recycling rate and to prevent stuff going to Newhaven but instead have concentrated on pointless cycle lanes etc.

PS - I'm not an employee of Veolia.

Veolia operates the MRF Hollingdean site. They dictate what can and can't be put into household recycling bins in the first instance. Hollingdean will need nearly a £1m spent on it to be able to recycle low grade plastics. Doesn't matter who is running the council, they can only recycle what Hollingdean can process.

The problem with points 5 & 6 was that we already have a big problem with contaminated recycling bins that end up at Newhaven as once a bin is contaminated, it can't be sorted at Hollingdean if it has contaminated waste in it. So the concern was, having more recycling days and less refuse days was that more recycling bins could end up contaminated and the rate might actually be negatively impacted.

You talk a good game, shame you can't back it up.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Green Party policy is a frequent flyer levy not dissimilar to this, where the cost of flights goes up proportional to the number taken. Don't think it's linked to income tax because rich people have a way around that.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
...except it's cheaper to fly than take the train.

Had a little look and booking a month in advance Brighton to Glasgow for a couple of days can be done for about £120 by train, about £70 return flying from Gatwick (plus whatever the train to Gatwick costs).

:shrug:

Thanks. Interesting. I never think of flying as an option to get around the UK but in your example it is both the quickest and cheapest.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He could have walked. It's not that far.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think "whataboutery" implies that there was some kind of subject to begin with. "Someone takes a flight somewhere" arguably doesnt count in that category.

He's been accused of whataboutery himself so many times you'd think he know what it means by now. :shrug:

Still, playing the ball rather than the man, I'm moving increasingly towards the [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] position, now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here