Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I am fortunate in that I have an OAP bus pass and dont not use the car to go into Brighton, as their is a good service from HH,. but many dont and cannot afford the bus fares to nip into 1 shop for a specific item.
But they can afford the extortionate parking charges in Central Brighton?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:shootself:

Can't afford a bus fare but can afford £6 an hour parking. :lol: what a plum.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Isn’t that EXACTLY how George Street, Hove is supposed to work (the priority but, I know it’s not residential)?

Yeah, I think Gardiner Street is similar with access at certain times. There are ways of planning these things so it's not just a blanket exclusion, but a series of various layers of priority, retaining access for certain situations, disabled access, residents. If you make it so there is no need for a thoroughfare, then vehicle movements will be far less, and can be negotiated across a shared space.

There is obviously a huge amount of detail to go into the planning of something like this. We're just discussing the concept aren't we, although some want this forum to have specific answers right away. All you can say is that similar cities are doing it successfully and with benefits well beyond just emission reduction.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Both would be great, but primarily cut traffic. Explain how it wouldn't achieve either. It has in London

London traffic growth has been controlled, reduced a little, its still incredibly busy on the roads. a congestion tax means the council have incentive not to stop cars going into the centre, as they'll lose revenue. so there will be a small reduction, while the ideas of pedestrianised bollavards are blocked. taxes are good for raising revenue, not so good for stopping behaviour unless set to punitive levels, see tobacco. any plan for congestion tax should be resisted to focus on the real objective.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But they can afford the extortionate parking charges in Central Brighton?

I dont know what the parking charges are in Brighton, as I said I do not use my car but thought that last time I did it was quite reasonable on the seafront and Churchill Sq. What are the charges now? The P & R used to be good value where you paid an amount per car but I understand you now pay per person.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I dont know what the parking charges are in Brighton, as I said I do not use my car but thought that last time I did it was quite reasonable on the seafront and Churchill Sq. What are the charges now? The P & R used to be good value where you paid an amount per car but I understand you now pay per person.

The word extortionate is a bit of a give away....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only somebody had already said parking is £6 an hour

1 hour £6.00
1 to 2 hours £12.00
2 to 3 hours £17.00
3 to 4 hours £22.00
4 to 24 hours £32.00
Early bird entry 6am - 9am £8.50

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If only somebody had already said parking is £6 an hour

1 hour £6.00
1 to 2 hours £12.00
2 to 3 hours £17.00
3 to 4 hours £22.00
4 to 24 hours £32.00
Early bird entry 6am - 9am £8.50

I assume that is only in certain areas not all over the city. I would be surprised if Chruchill Sq is that expensive In fact I have just googled it and it is 3 hours £6, 4 hours £8 and 6 hours £15. Regency Sq, which is convenient to Western Rd is even cheaper.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Extortinate to one person is acceptable to others. Just a thought why can they not make Mill Road non motorist and a permenant P& R not just for football.

Is that not the kind of thing the Greens are trying to achieve? Stop private cars going into the City Centre and making people use Public Transport instead?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Extortinate to one person is acceptable to others. Just a thought why can they not make Mill Road non motorist and a permenant P& R not just for football.

One of the issues is to do with when there's a matchday, (which is still sometimes a Saturday) who gets to use it the club or the shoppers?

On the whole though, I agree, that's the best location in my opinion. Not perfect, but nowhere is. If there were no private cars at the lower end of Dyke Road then buses could get up and down pretty quickly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here