Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That way, the council get a much needed boost to the coffers, ...

raise revenue or cut traffic, which do you want? this is the foolish path, it seeks to do two conflicting objectives at once and will achieve neither properly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What if the taxi was being driven by a bus driver?

Does the drivers taxi have seating for approximately 50 people and standing room for the same again?

If that taxi has I guess it can use the bus lane.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
raise revenue or cut traffic, which do you want? this is the foolish path, it seeks to do two conflicting objectives at once and will achieve neither properly.

Both would be great, but primarily cut traffic. Explain how it wouldn't achieve either. It has in London

Like I say, not my first choice, but if congestion charging or nothing are the only possibilities on the table I'd go for that. I'd love to see cars outright banned from the city centre and the idea sounds great without any detail on a messageboard, but it would take a remarkable change of policy from a completely broke council who have to answer to a much wider range of people than exist on here for it to happen in the real world

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A pedestrianised Queen's Rd is a great idea. It would need some transport for those who can't walk easily but rather than the cost of a tram, there could be electric mini buses operating as a shuttle between the station and Churchill Sq. There would also be a bus stop at the side of the station serving Seven Dials and Hove.

I'm in....how do we get it built?

Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So as someone who lives in the centre where do I park my car when this utopia happens?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That's one of the things the report is expected to find out. :thumbsup:

What, like a real study with outcomes and everything? And there was me thinking we’d just burn some cars, put up some bollards and signs and maybe force feed a few gammons a KFC Vegan burger just for shits and giggles.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some nutter, probably a cyclist will suggest an areabounded by The Old Steine in a circle to Brighton Station. This is ok for people able to walk around the shops but what about those that are unable and have walking difficulties.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So as someone who lives in the centre where do I park my car when this utopia happens?

So you asked this very same question yesterday, and I answered you yesterday. Was it not sufficient? :moo:

Out of interest where would I park my car living in the centre of Brighton?

The way it appears to work in many of the European cities that have car-free areas is that residences and deliveries can still use the access but the road become pedestrian or bicycle priority, i.e. you have to drive slowly and there would be restrictions. Therefore you could still access your home and park but the priority changes and that is one of the key things as well as stopping through traffic.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Some nutter, probably a cyclist will suggest an areabounded by The Old Steine in a circle to Brighton Station. This is ok for people able to walk around the shops but what about those that are unable and have walking difficulties.
They just abandon their cars wherever they feel like and complain when they get a ticket, apparently. Or maybe use accessible public transport.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The way it appears to work in many of the European cities that have car-free areas is that residences and deliveries can still use the access but the road become pedestrian or bicycle priority, i.e. you have to drive slowly and there would be restrictions. Therefore you could still access your home and park but the priority changes and that is one of the key things as well as stopping through traffic.

Isn’t that EXACTLY how George Street, Hove is supposed to work (the priority bit, I know it’s not residential)?

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Primacy needs to go to pedestrians and cyclists in Brighton. car drivers need to adapt to the new status quo

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am fortunate in that I have an OAP bus pass and dont not use the car to go into Brighton, as there is a good bus service from HH,. but many dont and cannot afford the bus fares to nip into 1 shop for a specific item.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here