Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Green Brigade banned from home matches

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was living in Madrid then, and it certainly felt like 3,000,000 were on their way to Seville!
I read something at the time (I can't verify it's accuracy) that the number of Celtic fans who went to Seville for that final constituted the largest movement of peoples in Europe since WW2

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I read something at the time (I can't verify it's accuracy) that the number of Celtic fans who went to Seville for that final constituted the largest movement of peoples in Europe since WW2
It was mental. I mean, this was Madrid, not Seville, and they were EVERYWHERE.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
Err no we don’t.
There are consistently more 'pyro' displays and active firms in Scotland than there are in England; Union Bears for example. You don't have to look too far online each week to find the footage.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In fact I think that this is a positive story in that the club are showing that they won't be pushed around by Ultras who get ideas above their station. In several countries in Europe the ultra scene has got out of control with the most powerful groups blackmailing the clubs to bow to their demands. It was interesting seeing the Ajax players being so nervous about approaching the ultra group last Thursday when it was demanded that they come over to them...
This. No way should any professional footballer with an ounce of self-respect stand meekly in line to be lectured to by some self-important **** in the stands living his best life with a microphone

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
From the article I shared:

"We understand that the club’s decision was NOT reached as a result of the Palestine flag protest at the Champions League match against Atletico Madrid and can also confirm that as of yet Celtic have NOT had any indication from UEFA that the club will be sanctioned for the flag display which had participants all over Celtic Park. That may change is the flags mentioned above are deemed to be worthy of another hefty fine for the club."
From the J Hendo school of PR announcements.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
A lot of nonsense in this thread (and some sense as well). Obviously everyone's entitled to dislike/hate Celtic and what a lot of their supporters believe/stand for but this idea they're in some way hostile or abusive towards people who are English, Israeli, politically different is very wide or the mark - I'd be interested in what evidence there is to support this.

I know for a fact that I feel a lot safer around Celtic fans with an English accent than a lot of my friends/family would around Rangers fans with an Irish accent.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
A lot of nonsense in this thread (and some sense as well). Obviously everyone's entitled to dislike/hate Celtic and what a lot of their supporters believe/stand for but this idea they're in some way hostile or abusive towards people who are English, Israeli, politically different is very wide or the mark - I'd be interested in what evidence there is to support this.

I know for a fact that I feel a lot safer around Celtic fans with an English accent than a lot of my friends/family would around Rangers fans with an Irish accent.
I once got into conversation with a group of Celtic fans on the Isle of Man some years ago. Despite initial apprehension they were sound. Same the few I know where I live locally.

Rangers fans I've encountered have generally been C U Next Tuesdays. Anti Irish unionist types. I include an ex boss in that category who was an Ibrox season ticket holder and orange lodge marcher during July.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I once got into conversation with a group of Celtic fans on the Isle of Man some years ago. Despite initial apprehension they were sound. Same the few I know where I live locally.

Rangers fans I've encountered have generally been C U Next Tuesdays. Anti Irish unionist types. I include an ex boss in that category who was an Ibrox season ticket holder and orange lodge marcher during July.
I have the view they have fans who are as bad as each other and wouldn’t want to be caught on the wrong side of a sectarian Celtic or Rangers fan to be honest. I’m not surprised ATFC, as an Ireland fan, may feel more comfortable in the company of Celtic fans than some others!

To give one example, I found myself chatting to some Celtic fans (Irish and Northern Irish) in a bar in Dublin watching an Ireland game on the TV. I get to Ireland a lot due to work commitments, going there again this month for a week. Yet the moment these guys found out I was from England the conversation turned and they spent the evening talking about Celtic v Rangers and some things I won’t repeat about British soldiers. I was genuinely fearful of going to the gents on my own in that bar. Some in the group later apologised to me for the behaviour of the others, but they themselves seemed pretty pleased with their evening‘s work.

Yet to counter that, I also had tickets for the UEFA Cup final that Rangers were in in Manchester. I got them in the ballot way before the finalists were known. I ended up returning them as I didn’t fancy a couple of days in Manchester with the worst excesses of 50,000+ Rangers fans, and it seems I made a good decision there.

We are lucky that as a rule this type of sectarian/political division has not taken hold amongst English teams.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
This is from Facebook

IMG_2565.jpeg
IMG_2566.jpeg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well I wouldn’t sing the Palace scum song either.

But you are right about Palestine, an oppressed people in a terrible situation. From my visits to that region I have seen it with my own eyes. Then again the Jews have also been persecuted for centuries, fairly recently in Europe I believe. They have a homeland that is under constant attack with nation states wishing its total destruction. So it’s difficult to not have sympathy there. I would say there are difficult discussions and arguments on both sides that would likely never be properly resolved. In a perfect world ‘land for peace’ would have worked and Israel could exist next to a more prosperous and hopeful Palestine, but that seems as far away today as it’s ever been.
If people know the story of the Good Samaritan - a parable about a Samaritan helping a Jew who had been beaten up and two other Jews had already passed by on the other side of the road - it is all the more powerful because 2,000 years ago when Jesus told it Jews and Samaritans hated each other. Samaria was the Central region of Palestine as it was in those days. Jews and Samaritans did not mix. Jews would not travel through Samaria.

And that division 2,000 years ago was based on centuries of conflict. Added to that what was Samaria is what is now part of Israel. So this stuff goes back not decades or centuries, but millennia.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I have the view they have fans who are as bad as each other and wouldn’t want to be caught on the wrong side of a sectarian Celtic or Rangers fan to be honest. I’m not surprised ATFC, as an Ireland fan, may feel more comfortable in the company of Celtic fans than some others!

To give one example, I found myself chatting to some Celtic fans (Irish and Northern Irish) in a bar in Dublin watching an Ireland game on the TV. I get to Ireland a lot due to work commitments, going there again this month for a week. Yet the moment these guys found out I was from England the conversation turned and they spent the evening talking about Celtic v Rangers and some things I won’t repeat about British soldiers. I was genuinely fearful of going to the gents on my own in that bar. Some in the group later apologised to me for the behaviour of the others, but they themselves seemed pretty pleased with their evening‘s work.

Yet to counter that, I also had tickets for the UEFA Cup final that Rangers were in in Manchester. I got them in the ballot way before the finalists were known. I ended up returning them as I didn’t fancy a couple of days in Manchester with the worst excesses of 50,000+ Rangers fans, and it seems I made a good decision there.

We are lucky that as a rule this type of sectarian/political division has not taken hold amongst English teams.
Sorry to hear you experienced that, sounds like you met a right pair of dickheads. For what it's worth I've actually had pretty shit experiences in Dublin from time to time at and around Ireland matches due to having an English accent. However I've never had anything remotely similar occur in Glasgow.

I do think that pinning some anti-British sentiment in Ireland on Celtic FC and it's wider fan base is a bit tenuous.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Sorry to hear you experienced that, sounds like you met a right pair of dickheads. For what it's worth I've actually had pretty shit experiences in Dublin from time to time at and around Ireland matches due to having an English accent. However I've never had anything remotely similar occur in Glasgow.

I do think that pinning some anti-British sentiment in Ireland on Celtic FC and it's wider fan base is a bit tenuous.
It wasn’t only that instance, I was just giving you an example.

But glad to hear you’ve not experienced the same, hopefully I can have the same good experiences as you in the future!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think the Chinese during the lunar new year would have something to say about that for a start

BrightonLoyal

Apr 1, 2020
Have to applaud the celtic board for this decision 👏

For me Ultra groups can bring a lot to a football stadium in terms of atmosphere but there is a line and the GB have continually crossed it over the years. The flag display was clearly a step too far but it’s not an isolated incident, the GB have cost their club a huge amount of money in fines over the last few years and I guess the board got to the point that enoughs enough.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

I've been to Dublin probably 30 times, and attended a lot of matches there, and I've been to Celtic Park once. When I open my mouth I've got a southern English accent and I don't wear a badge saying my parents are Irish. I've never experienced any hostility, though obviously there will be d1ckheads in both cities, but I've never met them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here