Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Green Brigade banned from home matches

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Hardly surprising, given what they've done recently (and this excludes any pro-Palestine displays of support):

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wonder if it was the Palestinian flags that ultimately caused the ban? That seems to be the only differentiator to the kind of activities that they've always carried out.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if it was the Palestinian flags that ultimately caused the ban? That seems to be the only differentiator to the kind of activities that they've always carried out.
From the article I shared:

"We understand that the club’s decision was NOT reached as a result of the Palestine flag protest at the Champions League match against Atletico Madrid and can also confirm that as of yet Celtic have NOT had any indication from UEFA that the club will be sanctioned for the flag display which had participants all over Celtic Park. That may change is the flags mentioned above are deemed to be worthy of another hefty fine for the club."

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Can't be true, Celtic fans are lovely bunch who never cause trouble anywhere - Including the the 3,000,000 who went to Seville in 2003.
Where did you get your information from? I just Googled this and I can't find any reports of trouble in Seville for the 2003 UEFA Cup Final, in fact I just read a Spanish article praising the behaviour of the 80,000 who travelled. In contrast the 2008 final in Manchester involving Rangers resulted in "serious disorder" including 39 arrests...

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
In fact I think that this is a positive story in that the club are showing that they won't be pushed around by Ultras who get ideas above their station. In several countries in Europe the ultra scene has got out of control with the most powerful groups blackmailing the clubs to bow to their demands. It was interesting seeing the Ajax players being so nervous about approaching the ultra group last Thursday when it was demanded that they come over to them...

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Where did you get your information from? I just Googled this and I can't find any reports of trouble in Seville for the 2003 UEFA Cup Final, in fact I just read a Spanish article praising the behaviour of the 80,000 who travelled. In contrast the 2008 final in Manchester involving Rangers resulted in "serious disorder" including 39 arrests...
Generally Celtic fans are well behaved, unless they meet anyone who disagrees with their political views, or anyone that is English, or likes the Royal Family, or Rangers, or is Israeli, or tries to stop them doing anything they want to do and have determined they should be allowed to do, which pretty much covers every other possible example.

To give it some balance, it’s obvious that Rangers fans are no angels and definitely that final in Manchester was very good evidence of such behaviour. Congratulations to Celtic fans for not trashing a foreign city 20 years ago.

Remind me again why these clubs would be an asset to the Premier League?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Didn't take long for this thread to degenerate into sectarianism. Was there really any need?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Generally Celtic fans are well behaved, unless they meet anyone who disagrees with their political views, or anyone that is English, or likes the Royal Family, or Rangers, or is Israeli, or tries to stop them doing anything they want to do and have determined they should be allowed to do, which pretty much covers every other possible example.

To give it some balance, it’s obvious that Rangers fans are no angels and definitely that final in Manchester was very good evidence of such behaviour. Congratulations to Celtic fans for not trashing a foreign city 20 years ago.

Remind me again why these clubs would be an asset to the Premier League?

I wouldn't want them in the Premier League, and I reckon both clubs have their share of nutters. My comments were to redress the balance of knee-jerk anti-Celtic comments you get on here generally by GB News/UKIP types. Regarding "unless they meet anyone who disagrees with their political views, or anyone English, or likes the Royal Family or Ranger, or is Israeli"; is this based on your first-hand interactions with Celtic fans or a biased perception? Of course their are Celtic fans who tick all those boxes, but the majority are reasonable people just like us Albion fans. The Green Brigade are not universally popular at Celtic, and the news story is about the club curbing their excesses.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I'd say it's 100% because of the Palestine support.

Scottish football at the moment has pyro displays every week and trouble throughout the country yet no blanket bans are being implemented.
Err no we don’t.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Can't be true, Celtic fans are lovely bunch who never cause trouble anywhere - Including the the 3,000,000 who went to Seville in 2003.
I was living in Madrid then, and it certainly felt like 3,000,000 were on their way to Seville!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I wouldn't want them in the Premier League, and I reckon both clubs have their share of nutters. My comments were to redress the balance of knee-jerk anti-Celtic comments you get on here generally by GB News/UKIP types. Regarding "unless they meet anyone who disagrees with their political views, or anyone English, or likes the Royal Family or Ranger, or is Israeli"; is this based on your first-hand interactions with Celtic fans or a biased perception? Of course their are Celtic fans who tick all those boxes, but the majority are reasonable people just like us Albion fans. The Green Brigade are not universally popular at Celtic, and the news story is about the club curbing their excesses.
Well the Royal Family one was hardly hidden away, was it? And you don’t have to have too many brain cells to work out that having an Israeli flag at Celtic Park might get you into a few ‘conversations’. Their comment about football fans having the right to express political views was laughable really, it would anger me as a fan of any club if I thought there was a minority expressing views so vocally for something I didn’t agree with but I would support their right to do it as long as it didn’t mean that other views were not welcome.

I applaud what the club has done here though in what looks like a very difficult situation for them. In truth Celtic and Rangers fans are probably as bad as each other, sorry if that sounds biased in some way.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed. (I also agree with your earlier point about Celtic standing up to their Ultras. Well done them). My work colleague is a Celtic fan - although he comes from Hamilton and thus should support Hamilton Academical as I sometimes tell him. He may indeed by anti-English, anti-Royal Family, anti-Israel, etc etc or any of the other lazy stereotypes, but if he is he's kept his views firmly to himself, even though he's had many chances to espouse them. Basically he's a nice guy.

He no longer goes to Celtic away games as the last time he went away (somewhere he Europe, can't remember where) he was beaten up and robbed .... by fellow Celtic fans. So yes, all clubs do have their dickheads, even saintly Brighton. (I personally feel that because of the sectarianism and bigotry Celtic and Rangers have more than most, but that might just be my English bias).

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Well the Royal Family one was hardly hidden away, was it? And you don’t have to have too many brain cells to work out that having an Israeli flag at Celtic Park might get you into a few ‘conversations’. Their comment about football fans having the right to express political views was laughable really, it would anger me as a fan of any club if I thought there was a minority expressing views so vocally for something I didn’t agree with but I would support their right to do it as long as it didn’t mean that other views were not welcome.

I applaud what the club has done here though in what looks like a very difficult situation for them. In truth Celtic and Rangers fans are probably as bad as each other, sorry if that sounds biased in some way.
The only reason to take an Israeli flag to Celtic Park would to be deliberately provocative. A section of Celtic fans have expressed support for the Palestinians for many years as they identify them as fellow travellers who have suffered dispossession and oppression. Many Jewish people would agree with this and oppose the actions of the Israeli state. Solidarity with an oppressed people is surely more valid than Albion singing a song about getting your father's gun to "shoot some Palace scum".

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Agreed. (I also agree with your earlier point about Celtic standing up to their Ultras. Well done them). My work colleague is a Celtic fan - although he comes from Hamilton and thus should support Hamilton Academical as I sometimes tell him. He may indeed by anti-English, anti-Royal Family, anti-Israel, etc etc or any of the other lazy stereotypes, but if he is he's kept his views firmly to himself, even though he's had many chances to espouse them. Basically he's a nice guy.

He no longer goes to Celtic away games as the last time he went away (somewhere he Europe, can't remember where) he was beaten up and robbed .... by fellow Celtic fans. So yes, all clubs do have their dickheads, even saintly Brighton. (I personally feel that because of the sectarianism and bigotry Celtic and Rangers have more than most, but that might just be my English bias).
That is terrible. Sounds a bit like our own nut-job who head-butted a fellow Albion fan in Marseille...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For what it's worth I agree with you, and understand why you would feel moved to respond

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The only reason to take an Israeli flag to Celtic Park would to be deliberately provocative. A section of Celtic fans have expressed support for the Palestinians for many years as they identify them as fellow travellers who have suffered dispossession and oppression. Many Jewish people would agree with this and oppose the actions of the Israeli state. Solidarity with an oppressed people is surely more valid than Albion singing a song about getting your father's gun to "shoot some Palace scum".
Well I wouldn’t sing the Palace scum song either.

But you are right about Palestine, an oppressed people in a terrible situation. From my visits to that region I have seen it with my own eyes. Then again the Jews have also been persecuted for centuries, fairly recently in Europe I believe. They have a homeland that is under constant attack with nation states wishing its total destruction. So it’s difficult to not have sympathy there. I would say there are difficult discussions and arguments on both sides that would likely never be properly resolved. In a perfect world ‘land for peace’ would have worked and Israel could exist next to a more prosperous and hopeful Palestine, but that seems as far away today as it’s ever been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here