Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yet it's all in a bit of fun when one of the Royals pops on the uniform of a party that murdered millions.

The double standards are astounding.
Quite apart from the fact that it's two different countries and thus no double standards are taking place - if it helps any, I didn't think it was alla bit of fun when the fancy dress was worn and would have happily seen the culprit responsible banned from the CIvil List :thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes i did, but my first point that you quoted was backed up by my second point, i dont want to get in an argument with you as you clearly have more knowledge than me on the subject, anyway he was proberly just waveing to max mosley, so ill leave it there.

Apologies. I misunderstood what you wrote.

I know you are not posting that to detract from either act but Di Canio is a self-proclaimed fascist and part of the hatred between Lazio and Roma is that that Roma are perceived as a "Jewish Club" rather like Ajax, Lodz and Spurs.

I agree and there is lots in common between the Italian fascists and the Nazis, anti-semitism being a very good example. Apologies if it seems like I'm dragging this debate into semantics but I think that the distinction is an important one when comparing two people giving the salute especially when one is Italian fascist and the other isn't.

Last edited:

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
It isn't a Nazi salute. That particular hand symbol originated in Greece many centuries ago, before it was a twinkle in Adolf Hitler's eyes. It is meant to symbolise power (or something like that) and many of the Greek youth use it. The problem is, many people still see that it is closely linked to Nazism, and thus hate it, but it isn't Nazi, and it never will be to this guy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It isn't a Nazi salute. That particular hand symbol originated in Greece many centuries ago, before it was a twinkle in Adolf Hitler's eyes. It is meant to symbolise power (or something like that) and many of the Greek youth use it. The problem is, many people still see that it is closely linked to Nazism, and thus hate it, but it isn't Nazi, and it never will be to this guy.

Is the 'something' White power?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Too many people on this thread showing a complete lack of knowledge of the difference between Nazism and historical Italian Fascism and the "Roman Salute".

PDC is old school Lazio and was giving a Roman Salute to his fellow fans. Unfortunately, old school Lazio tends to be linked to Italian Fascism and dates from when Mussolini was in power but it most certainly isn't Nazism. The salute has existed a lot longer than the Nazi salute, was adopted by Mussolini (and hence linked to his party and to their supporters), it's banned under the Italian Constitution but Italian Fascism is still a mainstream political force within Italy and doesn't have nearly the same negative connotations as it does here.

What did this Greek player intend with his salute? I supect it was to show support for the Golden Dawn party. PDC's salute was to show he was still 100% Lazio.
I hear what you're saying, but aren't we now opening a whole nuvver can of worms about what is 'culturally acceptable' for one group of people is a vile insult for another? Shades of the the Suarez/Evra contretemps. I agree with you about the provenance of the 'Roman salute' which like the swastika was appropriated by the Nazis. Trouble is the Greek bloke isn't Roman, and if he didn't know what the salute means in Greece then he damn well does now. Fair play to the Greek FA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here