Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Are you really comparing fancy dress to a Nazi salute?

Why shouldn't one?

Are both not symbols of the regime?

What about when left wing students and unions fly the sickle and hammer of Russia on their flags or wear images of Mao or Che? There's no outrage over that despite it being symbols of regimes that butchered more people than the Nazi's did.

If we're to be appalled by a raised hand where is the revulsion for other groups of people in society who do similar things?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
What in particular is 'fascist' about the Eurozone?
Fascist isn't just a hot-button synonym for 'hypercapitalist'....

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
"historically fascist team Lazio" ..... rubbish ....like calling chelsea west ham and millwall fascist teams . Guardian reader perchance?

No it's not. Lazio have historically drawn support from and been closely associated with the far right in the same way that historically Roma's supporters were typically associated with the far left.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why shouldn't one?

Are both not symbols of the regime?

What about when left wing students and unions fly the sickle and hammer of Russia on their flags or wear images of Mao or Che? There's no outrage over that despite it being symbols of regimes that butchered more people than the Nazi's did.

If we're to be appalled by a raised hand where is the revulsion for other groups of people in society who do similar things?

It's all about intent though.

'Allo 'Allo had loads of Nazi uniforms and salutes but the intent was to entertain viewers rather than show support.
Harry dressed up as a Nazi for a private party not to show support for them.
I'm struggling to see how this footballers Nazi salute can be anything but support for them ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's all about intent though.
I'm struggling to see how this footballers Nazi salute can be anything but support for them ?

Without knowing this guys background have you not imposed your views on his intent?

I'm not saying what he did was anything but potentially bad taste.

However to ban a player for life for doing it is utter bullshit of the highest order.

Banning people from expressing their beliefs. Now where have we seen that before in history?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Di caneo didnt get banned when he did it hes an open facist.. You might end up getting him as your manager you have to laugh.

Not that it makes it right, but he was playing in italy at the time and they have a bit of history when it comes nazi sympathisers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Without knowing this guys background have you not imposed your views on his intent?

I'm not saying what he did was anything but potentially bad taste.

However to ban a player for life for doing it is utter bullshit of the highest order.

Banning people from expressing their beliefs. Now where have we seen that before in history?

With the privilege of being a professional, well paid footballer comes responsibility. The salute of a party that murdered millions is likely to offend a great many people. He should have kept his beliefs to himself. If they aren't his beliefs then he's even more stupid than he already seems.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
a greek footballer has been banned for life from playing for the national team after making a nazi salute.
Aek athens midfielder giorgos katidis, 20, made the gesture to celebrate his winning goal during a saturday match.
The greek football federation called it "a severe provocation" that insulted "all the victims of nazi bestiality".
Katidis denied he gave a nazi salute. "i am not a fascist and would not have done it if i had known what it meant," katidis said on his twitter account.
The player - a former captain of greece's under-19 team - was fiercely criticised on social media for the salute after scoring the winner in aek's 2-1 victory over veria in the olympic stadium on saturday.
He insisted he was simply pointing at a team mate in the stands.
The club have asked him to explain himself at a board meeting next week.
But aek's german coach ewald lienen has backed katidis.
"he is a young kid who does not have any political ideas. He most likely saw such a salute on the internet or somewhere else and did it without knowing what it means," he said, according to reuters news agency.

Absolute BULLSHIT.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
With the privilege of being a professional, well paid footballer comes responsibility. The salute of a party that murdered millions is likely to offend a great many people. He should have kept his beliefs to himself. If they aren't his beliefs then he's even more stupid than he already seems.

Yet it's all in a bit of fun when one of the Royals pops on the uniform of a party that murdered millions.

The double standards are astounding.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not that it makes it right, but he was playing in italy at the time and they have a bit of history when it comes nazi sympathisers.

Too many people on this thread showing a complete lack of knowledge of the difference between Nazism and historical Italian Fascism and the "Roman Salute".

PDC is old school Lazio and was giving a Roman Salute to his fellow fans. Unfortunately, old school Lazio tends to be linked to Italian Fascism and dates from when Mussolini was in power but it most certainly isn't Nazism. The salute has existed a lot longer than the Nazi salute, was adopted by Mussolini (and hence linked to his party and to their supporters), it's banned under the Italian Constitution but Italian Fascism is still a mainstream political force within Italy and doesn't have nearly the same negative connotations as it does here.

What did this Greek player intend with his salute? I supect it was to show support for the Golden Dawn party. PDC's salute was to show he was still 100% Lazio.

Last edited:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Too many people on this thread showing a complete lack of knowledge of the difference between Nazism and historical Italian Fascism and the "Roman Salute".

PDC is old school Lazio and was giving a Roman Salute to his fellow fans. Unfortunately, old school Lazio tends to be linked to Italian Fascism and dates from when Mussolini was in power but it most certainly isn't Nazism. The salute has existed a lot longer than the Nazi salute, was adopted by Mussolini (and hence linked to his party and to their supporters), it's banned under the Italian Constitution but Italian Fascism is still a mainstream political force within Italy and doesn't have nearly the same negative connotations as it does here.

What did this Greek player intend with his salute? I supect it was to show support for the Golden Dawn party. PDC's salute was to show he was still 100% Lazio.

Fair point, and there was me thinking that italy were part of the axis in ww2.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fair point, and there was me thinking that italy were part of the axis in ww2.

Did you read any of what I wrote before coming up with that response? Clearly not from where I'm sat.

EDIT - I'm not an apologist for either PDC or this Greek chap but have tried to show that the intent was different even though the salute looks the same.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to a report I have just read he now alledges he was pointing to a friend in the stand who was ill.

Dandyman

In London village.
Glad that the Greek authorities have sent out the correct message on this. As for Di Canio, it's already been discussed on here but I'd like to see the odious little prick sent packing back to Italy.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
"historically fascist team Lazio" ..... rubbish ....like calling chelsea west ham and millwall fascist teams . Guardian reader perchance?

Check the history of the club and then get back to me.

More to the point check out their founder General Giorgio Vaccaro.

And just for the record, i don't read the Guardian - Not sure what business of yours it is what publications i read pal, as it's not actually relevent.

Last edited:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Did you read any of what I wrote before coming up with that response? Clearly not from where I'm sat.

Yes i did, but my first point that you quoted was backed up by my second point, i dont want to get in an argument with you as you clearly have more knowledge than me on the subject, anyway he was proberly just waveing to max mosley, so ill leave it there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not an apologist for either PDC or this Greek chap but have tried to show that the intent was different even though the salute looks the same.

And look the same as plain old pointing.....apparently. See post above.

Dandyman

In London village.

I know you are not posting that to detract from either act but Di Canio is a self-proclaimed fascist and part of the hatred between Lazio and Roma is that that Roma are perceived as a "Jewish Club" rather like Ajax, Lodz and Spurs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here