Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest sporting event you have been to other than football?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I saw the Tour de France pelaton whizz past on Ditchling Road in Hollingbury c. 1993, and watched the winner of the Brighton Marathon 2012 whizz past the Brighton Pier on his way to the tape :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The final day of the ashes at te oval in 2005 was great. They had not sold all corporate boxes so we got padded seats for ten quid and our own bar. Only bought tickets ten days before test.

I was also at the last day at edgbasten which was the most tense I have been at sport.

Other mention for women's basketball at Olympics. We walked in and were asked if we wanted better tickets by a steward (you will remember empty seats issue) and got court side (literally front row seats) for gb vs France. Last second three pointer for France took to overtime and last second score in overtime won it for them. After the match the gb watched the American's match sat with us. Very good fun. The atmosphere was amazing that night.

Apart from some Ali fights, the 2005 Ashes series was one of the greatest sporting contests I've witnessed. I was privileged enough to go to all five days of The Oval test. When it's good, nothing beats Test cricket.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Watching my youngest son play cricket for Newhaven under 10s at the County Ground twice last summer.
A great experience for a young cricketer and is proud couple of days for me.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
All four days (including practice rounds) of Europe's record Ryder Cup victory at Oakland Hills, Michigan.

Amazing.
Ryder Cup at the Belfry in 2002 and the K Club in Dublin in 2006. Lucky enough to be round the 18th green when the winning putt went in in 2002 and be in the stands at the 14th when Casey hit his hole in one in 2006. Great memories but I doff my cap to this one!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Isle of Man TT Week, mind blowing indeed. Whatever you ride, the week is utter biking heaven (well except for the Manx weather).

Spectators antics when the roads are re-opened were far more frightening than those of the Racers, especially the bloody German bikers - ride on the right (left) side of the road you f*cking Krauts! :rant:

And before the usual suspects pipe up I went over with a German mate of mine who was working in England and he was of exactly the same opinion....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was ringside for Nigel Benn v Gerald McClellan.

You might be interested in this book, if you've not already got it bushy. Ostensibly about the Benn-Eubank rivalry, its got an extended section on Benn-McClellan from all viewpoints, as well as in-depth Michael Watson coverage v both fighters. A superb overview of the UK fighters in the Benn-Eubank era and an astoundingly good read IMHO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hate-Game-British-Bitterest/dp/1471129039

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
C&G Trophy circa 2002 - Sussex v Surrey. Adam Hollioake scored an incredible century in the last 15 overs of the innings, bypassing Mark Ramprakash's score along the way who had about a 75 run head start on him. Think Surrey scored 400 that day, or very close to it.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
1st choice
Wimbledon Men's Final 2001 - Ivanisevic v Rafter. 9-7 in the 5th. Ivanisevic wins as a Wildcard entry
Game held over to the Monday. 40 quid POTG to get in for the first 10,000 people. That'll never happen again.

Runner-Up
Athens 2004 Olympics - saw 7 of the 9 Gold medals for GB and ended up in the daily programme.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
My mates Allen Gift winning the greyhound Derby, Shergar winning the Derby, Nortons Coin getting up to beat Dessie, Tour de France at Brighton, Some Picture and Westmead Hawk
God I 'm getting into a Sunday afternoon drunken nostalgia trip here.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Mickey Minter(Alan`s bro) v Terry Downes - boxing - Hove Town Hall late seventies,early eighties. A real experience for an under 10 year old.Stuck clearly in my mind!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've seen three stages of the Tour De France over here and also the Olympic Time Trial that Wiggins won, as well as the men's Olympic Road Race. All great events. I also watched Handball at our Olympics and just being in the Olympic Park got me a bit emotional as I was overwhelmed with pride at what we as a nation had achieved in hosting this great event and the warm glow inside that everyone seemed to be feeling at the time.

Possibly the best was when the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as the roar went up as Tom Boonen entered the open air Velodrome at Roubaix to claim a fine solo victory in the Paris - Roubaix of 2012. It was all such a new experience to me and I felt a bit like a kid in a sweet shop.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Been taken to the Masters Golf at Augusta a couple of times, didn't appreciate it in the slightest.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Munster winning the Heineken Cup in Cardiff in 2006. Probably 65k Munster fans in the ground but hundreds of thousands claim they were there!

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Super Saturday, don't think will ever experience an atmosphere like that again, seats down the home straight just before finishing line.

Also last over victory at Lords last summer was quite memorable, when we were good at cricket!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here