Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest sporting event you have been to other than football?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Exeter Chiefs v Gloucester Rugby is the ONLY sporting event that I've ever been to outside of football, and I was bored to tears.

I once saw London Irish v some team with Jonny Wilkinson in it at the Madjeski stadium, that and a Lords Taverners cricket match at Arundel are the only non football sporting events I've been to. Oh, and a couple of monkey tennis games.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All four days (including practice rounds) of Europe's record Ryder Cup victory at Oakland Hills, Michigan.

Amazing.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Ryder Cup at the Belfry

10 Silk Cut Challange Cup finals at the old Wembley

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not that there really is anything other than football, but:

Game 6 of the 2003 World Series when Josh Beckett of the Florida Marlins shut the Yankees out at Yankee Stadium to win the Series 4-2.

And the Super Bowl in Miami a few years back when New Orleans beat Indianapolis - although last season's was pretty good too apart from the power blackout ...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
San Marino Grand Prix in 1996 (ish)
Ashes Cricket a few times at the MCG
Lots of AFL
I will get round to taking my boy to the Tennis one year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
1986 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, won by the best horse not to win the Derby, Dancing Brave.

Got tickets for the men's 100 metre final session at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow this Summer so hoping to see Usain Bolt SMASH the world record. That would be pretty special.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Watched Tiger Woods winning the 2005 Open Championship at St Andrews when in his prime. Absolutely awesome.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The final day of the ashes at te oval in 2005 was great. They had not sold all corporate boxes so we got padded seats for ten quid and our own bar. Only bought tickets ten days before test.

I was also at the last day at edgbasten which was the most tense I have been at sport.

Other mention for women's basketball at Olympics. We walked in and were asked if we wanted better tickets by a steward (you will remember empty seats issue) and got court side (literally front row seats) for gb vs France. Last second three pointer for France took to overtime and last second score in overtime won it for them. After the match the gb watched the American's match sat with us. Very good fun. The atmosphere was amazing that night.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Apart from rugby internationals at Twickenham and Cardiff Arms Park, for me, the "I was there" event has to be the 1973 Barbarians v. All Blacks in Cardiff which the Baa-Baas won 23-11. Whenever the first try from Gareth Edwards is shown on TV, I get shivers down my spine. Reckoned to be the greatest game of rugby ever.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Without doubt the 2012 Olympics.

I'll go for Bolt winning the Men's 200m Final, though the Women's Beach Volleyball Final was pretty good too.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All three tests of 2001 Lions in Australia.

Drinking with the Irish fans after the O'Driscoll try in Brisbane.

I went to the one in Melbourne, My first and only rugby game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's yet to happen but I plan to attend the Brandenburg Sausage Championship in April. Other than this nothing springs to mind.

Stumpy Tim

2003 RWC final
Ladies Australian Open final. Sharapova v Ivanovic. Awful match, but great snatch
Seeing Collingwoods double ton in Adelaide in 2005... The other 5-0 series defeat
Jenson Button winning Melbourne Grand Prix, followed by live gig by The Who

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here