Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Greatest English/British sporting moments ever

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anyone on here witnessed MORE THAN ONE of these events in person?

(only one for me - Olympic Super Saturday).

I was, funnily enough, going to ask the same question, a big no from me sadly.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
For Bikers, the 1967 Agostini/Hailwood duel in the IoM Senior TT.

The two best riders in the world on the two fastest bikes Ago on the MV Augusta Triple and Mike the Bike on the the very fast but terrible handling Honda 500 Four.

The lead was swapped repeatedly and each broke the lap record until Ago's chain failed on the last lap.

Oh and Hailwood's throttle twistgrip came loose while he was doing all this - try riding the TT circuit with a dodgy throttle control.

His lap record wasn't broken for 8 years, and it was a 750cc bike that did it then.

Hamilton and his cossetted F1 car ilk don't know they are born...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone on here witnessed MORE THAN ONE of these events in person?

(only one for me - Olympic Super Saturday).

I was there for Gazza's goal against Scotland but that's the only one for me

I'm a hex on the England cricket team though, I've been to lots of test matches but have never seen an English century - I've seen seven from tourists though (including two from Steve Waugh)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think my greatest sporting moment will be 1983, replay, 19 and excited as hell. The rest... ah well.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyone? Admittedly not a British triumph that many remember but nonetheless an incredible against the odds win. It is a proper sport that's also in the Olympics.

Massive rule changes in 1980, Olympic sport? Hmmm. Archery?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Colchester easily beat full strength Palace August 2019

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It seems the gold medal at curling during the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics has completely escaped everyone’s memory.
Unbelievable......

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Boxing:

Barry McGuigan beating the legend Predroza at Loftus Road in 1986.
Jim Watt beating Pitalua for the world crown at The Kelvin Hall, Glasgow in 1979.
Lloyd Honeyghan stopping the brilliant Don Curry in Atlantic City in 1986.
Alan Minter defeating Antuofermo twice for the WBC and WBA crowns.
Carl Froch’s destruction of favourite Bute, and then mouthy Groves in their rematch.

Covered on BBC or ITV for all to see. I loved watching boxing.

Some great fighters and performances on this list.

I would have to say IMO that Joe Calzaghe is the best British boxer of all time.
He had a record of 49-0 beating Eubank to win his 1st world title. Along the way he beat the likes of Woodhall, a peak Kessler, Lacy, and finished his career beating American legends Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones in the USA

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
No! Here's the clue. His miraculous win was because he had ' red on both sides' which is no longer allowed.

I'm guessing it's table tennis, and he had red on both sides of the bat?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Henry Cooper sticking the then loud mouth Cassius clay on his arse in 1963.

What a moment that was............we will ignore the next round.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm guessing it's table tennis, and he had red on both sides of the bat?

That's correct but just checked and John Hilton had in fact black rubbers on both sides. The trick was one side was a very spinny whilst the other was a dead anti spin rubber. Coupled with some clever defensive play he twiddled the blade during play so his opponent could not read whether they were playing a flat ball or one with high spin. In addition he stamped or squeaked his foot on the floor during service to prevent his opponent hearing the sound the ball made which will would be a clue as to which side of the bat he had used. Before the different colour rubber rule was brought in there was also a rule about stamping.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some great fighters and performances on this list.

I would have to say IMO that Joe Calzaghe is the best British boxer of all time.
He had a record of 49-0 beating Eubank to win his 1st world title. Along the way he beat the likes of Woodhall, a peak Kessler, Lacy, and finished his career beating American legends Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones in the USA

What I also liked about JC was that he knew when to retire and not be mugged off by making a comeback. Those Millennium Stadium nights were amazing. I agree, for any fighter, I look to see if they beat the best of the best in the world at that time.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
What I also liked about JC was that he knew when to retire and not be mugged off by making a comeback. Those Millennium Stadium nights were amazing. I agree, for any fighter, I look to see if they beat the best of the best in the world at that time.

Totally agree. The Americans brought over the new 'Mike Tyson' Lacy who was favoured by the bookies to win their fight. Its actually quite painful viewing but a boxing master class if you ever watch it on youtube.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally agree. The Americans brought over the new 'Mike Tyson' Lacy who was favoured by the bookies to win their fight. Its actually quite painful viewing but a boxing master class if you ever watch it on youtube.

I loved watching boxing since I was a nipper .... from the later Ali fights, Sugar Ray Leonard, you name it. I’ve watched Calzaghe and know exactly what you mean. His trainer Dad created an intelligent boxer, I think his opponents and a load of English punters under-rated him, realising almost too late when it was coming to the end. Kessler was a deceptively brutal fighter, but JC overcame him too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here