Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Greatest English/British sporting moments ever

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No F1? James Hunt 76, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think if you google that period you will see the error in your post. We won that game, then lost the home game 0-1 if I remember rightly.

The two teams had met most recently in 2000, in what was the final match at the old Wembley stadium. The match ended with a 1–0 victory for Germany, thanks to a goal from Dietmar Hamann.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The penalty by Leon Knight in Cardiff to beat Bristol City and take us up to The Championship via the playoffs. Brought tears of joy to my eyes.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not in 2008 he didn’t. Won it on the last corner, in the last race. In Brazil.

Points wise you are correct, but his drive in the rain at Sillystone was a class above everyone else. The kind of thing that defines a champion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
British Lions beating New Zealand in 1971 (and South Africa in 1974 too)

England winning the women's cricket WC in 2017 - until this year, the best ODI I'd seen

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Interesting that males dominate most peoples thinking - what about the Kelly Holmes and Becky Adlington olympic double golds ?

Thats very true, the double olympic gold for Kelly Homes was an incredible achievement and particularly in the context of her constant struggles with injury.

Maybe add to that Virgina Wade winning Wimbledon in 1977?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've also massively enjoyed the gold winning and world record breaking feats of the following Olympians:

Adam Peaty (still doing it now, he destroys everyone else)
Chris Hoy
Bradley Wiggins
Victoria Pendleton
Jason Kenny
Laura Trott

All British sporting legends.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think the WC final against New Zealand the super over and this ashes one are both up there as the very best.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Although we lost I still remember everything about our 1990 WC semi final, that is etched on my mind forever. Never had the same feeling when we played Croatia.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I've also massively enjoyed the gold winning and world record breaking feats of the following Olympians:

Adam Peaty (still doing it now, he destroys everyone else)
Chris Hoy
Bradley Wiggins
Victoria Pendleton
Jason Kenny
Laura Trott

All British sporting legends.

Talking about world record holding olympians what about our very own Sally Gunnell (lives in steyning).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Talking about world record holding olympians what about our very own Sally Gunnell (lives in steyning).

I heard a funny story involving her name. They use it in golf terms, probably 100% sexist. When you hit a badly low shot, ugly but runs well. Anyway, my mate was out on a round with a few people and someone called a Sally Gunnell. Young lad asked why it was called that and the aforementioned was explained. He pointed out he was her son!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here