Greatest bass lines in popular music

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The consensus is that it was Jamerson. Babbit played on a few of Norman Whitfield's sessions (Ball of Confusion, for example), but Jamerson was always the first-call player - until the drink got the better of him.

This was Babbitt's memory of it

"Hey Guys.....The Undisputed Truth version was yours truly....I had first been told that the Temptations version was Leroy Taylor but then Eddie Watkins name was also mentioned to me..
Recently Wah Wah Watkins and I had a discussion about the Papa Was a Rolling Stone session and he told me that Jamerson and myself were both on the session but when producer Norman Whitfield asked Jamerson to just keep reapting the Bass line that Jamerson got up and walked out of the session...Wah Wah said that Norman ahd me play the line...I tolf this to Wah Wah that I did not remember this but he insisted that is what happened?
As a result if several versions were recorded and the credits had three or four Bass players on the album but did not list who is playing on each cut then there would be confusion as to who played on what?"

It's incredible that even the musicians on the sessions don't know who it was.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This was Babbitt's memory of it

"Hey Guys.....The Undisputed Truth version was yours truly....I had first been told that the Temptations version was Leroy Taylor but then Eddie Watkins name was also mentioned to me..
Recently Wah Wah Watkins and I had a discussion about the Papa Was a Rolling Stone session and he told me that Jamerson and myself were both on the session but when producer Norman Whitfield asked Jamerson to just keep reapting the Bass line that Jamerson got up and walked out of the session...Wah Wah said that Norman ahd me play the line...I tolf this to Wah Wah that I did not remember this but he insisted that is what happened?
As a result if several versions were recorded and the credits had three or four Bass players on the album but did not list who is playing on each cut then there would be confusion as to who played on what?"

It's incredible that even the musicians on the sessions don't know who it was.

Jamerson used to get up and walk out if he thought the Funk bros were being asked to do too many takes of the same track and say that "rig" (rigor mortis) was setting in...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Many say that Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made To Love Her" was Jamerson's finest moment. The verse structure is identical throughout, but Jamerson does subtly different things every time.

That is a cracking bass line. It really is incredible to think of all the players that man influenced and who they went on to influence.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
and big mention to the original drum and bass outfit, Sly and Robbie. Robbie Shakespeare's bass in Grace Jones' Compass Point Sessions version of Love is the Drug is a thing of beauty.

Saw them do a version of "ticket to ride" in Hammersmith. Absolutely immense.

Anyway...has anyone mentioned Chic?...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh yes! I recently purchased a (Greco) copy of a Gibson bass in order to sound like Mr Bruce. It hasn't worked!

There was a suggestion in the music press when Cream broke up that one of the reasons that Clapton and his ego were feeling threatened by the fact that the bass guitar in the band was taking away his lead guitar thunder. Probably bollocks but I found it interesting :smile:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cream+%2b+crossroads&docid=608038550446080582&mid=08ADF8B281A2B7F909B008ADF8 B281A2B7F909B0&view=detail&FORM=VIRE4#view=detail&mid=08ADF8B281A2B7F909B008ADF8 B281A2B7F909B0[/video]

To back up Previous post, Crossroads by Cream. I believe it was after playing this that John Peel famously said "and now tell me there are only three of them"

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Lot of Love for Hooky :clap2:

If you pushed me, for my fave JD/NO bassline I would probably go Sunrise or New Dawn Fades or Transmission or Age of Consent or......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The driving but relatively simple bassline of the original becomes a synthesized monster in the remix below it. The original's video is suitably bonkers as a bonus.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
OOH Jules is having a thumbsdownfest this afternoon, makes a change from made up transfer rumours I suppose :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here