Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest band ever?

charlieoatway

through thin and thin
Aug 22, 2009
Bristol
I gonna go for 'FUGAZI' the most influential and independent hardcore band ever, with a great DIY aesthetic.

can be an acquired taste. Think Television and Gang of Four with shouting

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wonderful thread - can we have best Blancmange Flavour next because the World clearly needs to know the NSC verdict (obviously with a definitive pecking order of flavours to settle this most important question once and for all)?

And no I'm not revealing my choice yet - powder dry and all that:lolol:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Wonderful thread - can we have best Blancmange Flavour next because the World clearly needs to know the NSC verdict (obviously with a definitive pecking order of flavours to settle this most important question once and for all)?

Surely you can't expect NSC to bother with such trifling matters?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hate to rain on your parade NE, but honestly, I don't think anyove gives a f*** what 'Scooter' look like.

Out of interest, have you got any substance behind calling them the 'greatest band ever'? Musically, what exactly have they done that makes them stand out? Try to be a bit intellectual, not just fire empty superlatives and call them legends. I'm honestly intrigued to see what you reasoning behind them being the greatest band ever is.

Substance? I f***ing love them. That's more than enough justification for me to say they're the greatest band ever. 16 years, and still going strong. I think that says a little something about their musical career aswell. Also, did I mention I rather like them? I believe that's what this sort of thread is all about.

Ah damn. I got it mixed up with
"Is it a bird, is it a plane? It must be Dave, who's on the train"
Easy enough mistake to make eh?
I can honestly say i don't know. Care to enlighten me!?

Very easy mistake to make. Lyrical genius, if we're honest. :dunce:
That is a rather beautifully disguised sample of the classic Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street.

Also, I don't like the Beatles either. I appreciate their musical talent, mind, but they're not really my cup of tea and I certainly wouldn't say they're the best ever. They didn't half change the music industry, mind, and that is relevant in a debate like this. All suggestions and opinions though!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Any band that can go onstage for 3-4 hours, with no support act, that can fill Wembley, Hampden Park, The Millenium Stadium, Slane Castle, and thats just the UK venues, do this for the best part of 30-35 years, sell out 15 nights at Madison Square Gardens, go straight to No1 i the LP charts on release day, has a back catalogue of 28 albums must go pretty close.

Ladies and Gentlemen,BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Any band that can go onstage for 3-4 hours, with no support act, that can fill Wembley, Hampden Park, The Millenium Stadium, Slane Castle, and thats just the UK venues, do this for the best part of 30-35 years, sell out 15 nights at Madison Square Gardens, go straight to No1 i the LP charts on release day, has a back catalogue of 28 albums must go pretty close.

Ladies and Gentlemen,BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND

Hello Chris! Not posting on the Sussex CCC Messageboard tonight?:wave:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Steely Dan in the 1970s.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Hi Jez , been there too, bad night for postings Saturday after a session down the club, hows your boiler:lolol:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Having been buying music from 1962 onwards i think i would be hard pushed to select three bands. British bands who were best for me and still hold there own on disc would be Stones, Who, Kinks, Small Faces
I was really into west coast usa bands, so for those i would go for The Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger service and airplane. Added to that CCR. But for me i have reduced it to my three faves as follows

Country Joe and the Fish
Love
Doors

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Having been buying music from 1962 onwards i think i would be hard pushed to select three bands. British bands who were best for me and still hold there own on disc would be Stones, Who, Kinks, Small Faces
I was really into west coast usa bands, so for those i would go for The Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger service and airplane. Added to that CCR. But for me i have reduced it to my three faves as follows

Country Joe and the Fish
Love
Doors

Ah add to that Velvet Underground

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Substance? I f***ing love them. That's more than enough justification for me to say they're the greatest band ever. 16 years, and still going strong. I think that says a little something about their musical career aswell. Also, did I mention I rather like them? I believe that's what this sort of thread is all about.

That's not substance. That's biased emotional-opinion. Not enough justification in the slightest. Tell me something they've offered to music, how their lyrics are compelling or metaphorically intelligent. Give a musical argument as to why they're the best. At the moment all you've done is make yourself look a little silly! While they may be your favourite band, you have to see there are many other bands who are far more musically gifted.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Small Faces

Finally, someone mentions the brilliant Small Faces, without whom there would have been no Led Zep. Steve Marriott had the best voice of any UK singer, so much soul, yet he never took himself or the band too seriously.

Other than that, The Jam, The Kinks, Specials and, ahem, Dodgy, get my vote!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
equal equal best (for being better live than on record and for mike rutherfords double neck 6-string bass/12-string guitar which I covet to this day :) )

[yt]8z1kLUP3ohg[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here