Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great tactics Oscar

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Far too early to tell. Poyet got us out of a League 1 relegation fight, then won the division against teams that had spent far more. Then in our first Championship season he kept us in a playoff race until a few games to go, and then we finished 4th - again against teams that had spent much much more than us. That's a very impressive record.

Oscar is our man now, and of course I'd love it if he's even better than Poyet - but it's too early to tell.
It is, but I'm hopeful. There's a long way to go yet, but it looks promising.
This. Some right twats on here - Gus took us to FOURTH FFS after winning promotion at a canter two seasons beforehand.
I don't know why both managers can't be appreciated. The 'girlfriend/ex' comparison is ridiculous.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Something happened at half time that may not have happened in the Poyet period. In any case, we came out and ruined Dougie Freemans' management career and relegated a bunch of over spending northern monkeys to a season in div 1. Thats without 5-6 first team players.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No, I missed nothing. That was a very good save, the ones which followed were routine and straight forward for someone of his class. I know how good he can be, Cardiff away makes it perfectly clear, but he is far from perfect and his attempts for the goal were poor.

Played well overall though and has been very good so far this season.

Depends what you want/expect from a goalkeeper I suppose. Kuipers wouldn't have conceded that goal, he was far more decisive and dominant than Kuszczak is. But it is obvious which is the better goalkeeper overall.

I don't blame Kuszczak for the goal, just think he could have done better.

You come across as a real nit-picker. No player ever has a perfect game. A keepers "errors" appear more critical because they often result in a goal. Strikers make many more mistakes but they're more easily forgotten.

Cut him some slack and don't be so obsessive.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
No, I missed nothing. That was a very good save, the ones which followed were routine and straight forward for someone of his class. I know how good he can be, Cardiff away makes it perfectly clear, but he is far from perfect and his attempts for the goal were poor.

Depends what you want/expect from a goalkeeper I suppose. Kuipers wouldn't have conceded that goal, he was far more decisive and dominant than Kuszczak is. But it is obvious which is the better goalkeeper overall.

YAWN. So tiresome.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. The team seem to have taken to him, the crowd certainly have and we seem to be far less predictable under him than Poyet. I love the faster breaks and the way we are the team closing down the opposition rather than the other way around. Long way to go but hugely encouraging for me.

One thing that he is definitely better at than Gus is being humble, I really like this attribute.

This. With bells on. Early days for Oscar, but the signs are good. The ONLY thing we can be absolutely sure of at this stage is that Oscar handles the media FAR, FAR better than Gus. But then that's not difficult!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It is good to have different opinions and I agree with your first comment, in fact I would say the best and most consistent keeper we have had
possibly comparing with Eric Gill, but disagree with your 2nd as I thought that there was nothing he could have done to stop that deflection.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Something happened at half time that may not have happened in the Poyet period. In any case, we came out and ruined Dougie Freemans' management career and relegated a bunch of over spending northern monkeys to a season in div 1. Thats without 5-6 first team players.

If they go down. I want chris eagles.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not at all. He is. His error for the goal today shouldn't be ignored by a string of routine saves. In the top 5 in the league though, no argument there. Just not the world class keeper some want to think he is.

Oh dear.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
<< dupe >>

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'd love to know what Oscar said at half-time. Certainly made a difference; something Gus failed to do since the opening game at the Amex.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
We definitely play better with two wingers. Quite a few games last year at home, we drew or lost when we played with one winger....the Palace second leg being a painful example.

It depends on the strength & quality of the opposition, Poyet & Garcia have chosen 2 wingers when they thought we wouldn't be overrun in midfield.

I think the Palace second leg game was the result of something far more fundamentally wrong with how the team were prepared....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mate and I were talking at half time and b oth noticed how we seemed to have adopted the stadard Spain way of playing in that nobody had a set position other than obviously the goal keeper and back four bu all were free to

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree. The last two home first halves against Millwall & Bolton have been v. poor but he seems to be able to motivate/change things in the break:thumbsup:

Got a feeling we are going to be very good when the injured start to return.

Millwall yes but we were playing and passing v well 1st half yesterday. Was a v good performance 1st half too, and I hope those who saw the game were thinking just this at ht, despite us being a goal down....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I would agree with most of that, but a plan B and C!? When have we changed style with Oscar? He gets the team to play a certain way. I like this, by the way, having a plan B is just acknowledging that your initial plan was not up to scratch.

I'd say we've changed style already. We were lumping it forward aimlessly vs Derby and yesterday our passing game was back and it was like watching us on form last year...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I'd say we've changed style already. We were lumping it forward aimlessly vs Derby and yesterday our passing game was back and it was like watching us on form last year...

It's not the same as last year at all.

Passing and then direct balls to the wings. No pissing about at the back, max of 3 passes, compared to 20-25 under poyet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here