Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great tactics Oscar

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A first half of stiffness and a sudden burst of energy and stylings after a halftime nudge of encouragement or two seem awfully similar really. Along with being "tough to beat". A lot more crossing of the ball and less walking the ball into the net attempts, but i haven't noticed a change in tactics or this plan b or c that people mention.
I loved that 3-goal portion of the game in which our players seemed free to express themselves and with that equaliser behind them to really push them forward, but we have a way to go, even if that's just getting the likes of Orlandi back fit so we have that real sparkle and deftness in an attacking midfield role. A work in progress, but a good one with a strong easel to host our works and a man of respect with the brush in his hand.

A first half of stiffness and a sudden burst of energy and stylings after a halftime nudge of encouragement or two seem awfully similar really. Along with being "tough to beat". A lot more crossing of the ball and less walking the ball into the net attempts, but i haven't noticed a change in tactics or this plan b or c that people mention.
I loved that 3-goal portion of the game in which our players seemed free to express themselves and with that equaliser behind them to really push them forward, but we have a way to go, even if that's just getting the likes of Orlandi back fit so we have that real sparkle and deftness in an attacking midfield role. A work in progress, but a good one with a strong easel to host our works and a man of respect with the brush in his hand.

Very eloquent of you MB.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The OP makes it sound like we didn't play with a big man up front in order to surprise the opposition rather than the fact that we didn't have one available.

My point is that would you have expected any team to play with two wingers knowing that they have no target man available ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not as ridiculous as when you claimed PIG was over-rated.

Not at all. He is. His error for the goal today shouldn't be ignored by a string of routine saves. In the top 5 in the league though, no argument there. Just not the world class keeper some want to think he is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A first half of stiffness and a sudden burst of energy

If that's your reaction to the first half I'm surprised the ground could contain your tumescence when we scored the three goals.

but i haven't noticed a change in tactics or this plan b or c that people mention.

Lua Lua and Buckley both playing from the start. Closing up away and closing down at home. Bruno - BRUNO - in some kind of invisible number 9 role.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In a nutshell, he is better than Poyet.
Very much this.
Far too early to tell. Poyet got us out of a League 1 relegation fight, then won the division against teams that had spent far more. Then in our first Championship season he kept us in a playoff race until a few games to go, and then we finished 4th - again against teams that had spent much much more than us. That's a very impressive record.

Oscar is our man now, and of course I'd love it if he's even better than Poyet - but it's too early to tell.

In the top 5 in the league though, no argument there. Just not the world class keeper some want to think he is.
No one really suggested he was world class.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lua Lua and Buckley both playing from the start.
Like they did against Palace. And it wasn't like we had many options today, given our injuries and suspensions etc.

Bruno - BRUNO - in some kind of invisible number 9 role.
That was a bit different, but again it seemed more to do with a lack of options, and the fact we wanted to see out the game.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
OG definitely has something different to Gus both in the way he handles himself and the way he manages the team. It is too early to judge properly though of course but I find myself missing Gus less and less as the season rolls on.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What I LOVED was the way the coaching staff and players interacted as they came off the pitch. Real team spirit right there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Like they did against Palace when it didn't really matter but not when it did. And it wasn't like we had many options today, given our injuries and suspensions etc.

Corrected for you.

That was a bit different, but again it seemed more to do with a lack of options, and the fact we wanted to see out the game.

I guarantee Poyet wouldn't have done it.

I write the above as a GP fan, still appreciative of his achievements by the way. But Oscar is more flexible. It just remains to be seen if that's a good thing.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Corrected for you.

I guarantee Poyet wouldn't have done it.

I write the above as a GP fan, still appreciative of his achievements by the way. But Oscar is more flexible. It just remains to be seen if that's a good thing.
Yup I agree. In the last 2 games it has really shown the tactical nous of OG and unlike Gus things are changed a lot quicker and we really pile forward looking to get back into the game. I was a Gus fan as well, great period in our history but just from the last few games its obvious to me OG is more tactically flexible and willing to change things earlier.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Basically we've been chucked and ended up with someone better looking while our ex is still single. And it feels great!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not at all. He is. His error for the goal today shouldn't be ignored by a string of routine saves. In the top 5 in the league though, no argument there. Just not the world class keeper some want to think he is.

Perhaps you missed his superb save in the first half following the defensive howler? Don't underrated how good a keeper this man is - you're just showing yourself up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
#

I never noticed an error on his behalf for their goal so perhaps you could enlighten me and point ut what he could have done to not concede it other than the obvious save it..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well he's different. Has a plan B and C. Much more dignity. And the ability to come from behind and win. I think I'll leave it till at least the end of the season to judge if he's actually better.

I loved Gus, but agree with all your points. Oscar is thoughtful.

And I am surprised nobody is commenting majorly on the fact that we seem to have come from behind today.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Perhaps you missed his superb save in the first half following the defensive howler? Don't underrated how good a keeper this man is - you're just showing yourself up.

No, I missed nothing. That was a very good save, the ones which followed were routine and straight forward for someone of his class. I know how good he can be, Cardiff away makes it perfectly clear, but he is far from perfect and his attempts for the goal were poor.

Played well overall though and has been very good so far this season.

#

I never noticed an error on his behalf for their goal so perhaps you could enlighten me and point ut what he could have done to not concede it other than the obvious save it..

Depends what you want/expect from a goalkeeper I suppose. Kuipers wouldn't have conceded that goal, he was far more decisive and dominant than Kuszczak is. But it is obvious which is the better goalkeeper overall.

I don't blame Kuszczak for the goal, just think he could have done better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here