Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Great piece on Mr Bloom in The Telegraph today

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
As noted above, this is not news to Brighton fans but the article provides an excellent summary.

Section from Paul Barber encapsulates his value and how exceptionally good he and the club are at managing their staff and strategy. The unusual responses and messages he gives to Albion fans privately and publicly are not his strong point - he'd be better off saying less on most of those occasions - but the rest of his work seems outstanding.

“No matter how much we push up the table, get closer to silverware for the first time in the club’s 120 years history, there is always going to be a bigger and richer club,” says Barber, who stresses that mistakes are also inevitable and acknowledged. But he is adamant that grown up behaviour like laying on a welcoming home ale for opposition fans – “we want them to spend money with us” – and treating even departing players well is actually all to Brighton’s long-term benefit.

“Our values are: Aim high, treat people with respect, exceed expectations, act with integrity, and make it special,” he says. “We don’t embrace these values because we are soft. We are trying to think of the future. Football is a small industry relatively-speaking. If we get a good reputation for treating people well, giving them the opportunity to progress if the circumstances are right, we have more opportunity to bring top quality players and staff in. Football clubs shouldn’t be prison camps.”
Do we still do this? I never understood it - when I travel one of the joys is trying different food and drinks, who wants to travel to somewhere exotic like Brighton from the North and drink the same beer they usually drink at home? I remember when my Aussie cousin came over and all she wanted to drink was a Corona like she had at home. Refused to try anything else. Bizarre if you ask me

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I like the reader comment that we should revisit this article after next season when Brighton have been relegated. I know that you can never predict anything with certainty but I would be absolutely staggered if we went down next year.

I wonder if it was the same person who commented in the Argus that Brighton would go bust after building the stadium as they had no chance of reaching the break-even attendance of 13,000
Almost certainly a Palace troll

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I’ve got a Telegraph subscription, for some unknown reason a lot cheaper than others pay.

Fantastic for sports, money, business, travel, skiing, Ukraine, US and news.

I’ve never clicked on Opinion and rarely politics.

IMHO, in contrast to the Daily Mail, Mirror, Express and sometimes the Guardian, the Telegraph doesn’t try to subtly or unsubtly force their views on you IF you avoid Opinion/UK politics.
Yes, this is really it.

The Telegraph's Travel section is award-winning, the Sports section had the 5 time Sports Writer of the Year Albion fan Paul Hayward.

The idea that people would sideline an entire newspaper purely because of the political position is anathema to me.

Hayward himself was Chief Sport Writer at the Telegraph and then the Guardian.

If he can handle that as an employee, there seems little reason for mere readers to have more of an issue with it.

I read The Guardian daily and love John Crace's Westminster sketches, Marina Hyde's insights and Jonathan Liew's sporting angles.

That fact that I might not share all the positions espoused by the Guardian doesn't result in me shunning the entire paper.

Neither left nor right have a complete monopoly on quality journalism.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Wouldn't read that insidious crap paper - worse than the Mail, Express, Sun and the rest. At least those are completely overt in their bigotry.
Whereas the Telegraph writes always just below the surface, using negatives, half truths and misinformation to spread the word.

Sorry, got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.
How do you know if you don't read it?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And if you still haven't read it yet, our lovely rivals have posted it in full: https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287964&page=5

From their board...

Not about recruitment, but something that occurred to me today…

1983, Brighton made their first FA Cup final and lose to Man U.

Seven years later, Palace make their first FA Cup final and lose to Man U.

2016, Palace make their second FA Cup Final and lose to Man U

Seven years later, both Brighton and Man U are in the last 16.

It’s written
blue.gif

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And if you still haven't read it yet, our lovely rivals have posted it in full: https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287964&page=5
That thread is quite joyous.

Some decent considered posts, but mixed in with the hatred, bile and desperate bitterness of that perpetual Away Fans End CLOWN Spangle:

Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Can't stand this weed fawning. They've been bankrolled, still have a huge debt and have a string of failures before this lucky smoke and mirrors accidentally created by Potter and an excited billionaire at Chelsea. White is the genuine £50m player, but even then he was pricey.

Zaha may go for free, but I'd rather that happen and we get the joy of having them play for us rather than being flogged off at the first chance.

They've finished above us ONCE since they fluked it into this league and this season isn't over. Get a grip.

:lolol:
Good to know that absolute weapon is alive and well, still spouting delusional bollocks in his underpants from his mums kitchen.
Ironic he mentions "Smoke and Mirrors", being as that is the name of the very company CPFC2010's very own Steve Parish has set up, which they pay rent to.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This article should be a sticky, no one is allowed to post on football realted posts without having read it.

It really outlines the club's philosophy well. Love the cool response to potter going, "it is all inhand, we got this."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Some decent considered posts, but mixed in with the hatred, bile and desperate bitterness of that perpetual Away Fans End CLOWN Spangle:

Can't stand this weed fawning. They've been bankrolled, still have a huge debt and have a string of failures before this lucky smoke and mirrors accidentally created by Potter and an excited billionaire at Chelsea. White is the genuine £50m player, but even then he was pricey.

Zaha may go for free, but I'd rather that happen and we get the joy of having them play for us rather than being flogged off at the first chance.

They've finished above us ONCE since they fluked it into this league and this season isn't over. Get a grip.

Good to know that absolute weapon is alive and well, still spouting delusional bollocks in his underpants from his mums kitchen.
Ironic he mentions "Smoke and Mirrors", being as that is the name of the very company CPFC2010's very own Steve Parish has set up, which they pay rent to.
:lolol: Shit-for-brains Spindle hasn’t the foggiest. Whilst TB invested for the medium to long term, getting all our ducks in a row with the stadium, academy/training centre and key personnel, Parish went on a fees/wages spending spree that left them sitting ducks for savvy agents of average players seeking sky high wages. Leaving an infrastructure budget of:

A050CB7A-45AF-4E94-82FB-FBC273D5D19D.png

boik

So we fluked it into the league by finishing 2nd whilst they walked into the league by finishing 6th and a long way behind us? Err, OK.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So we fluked it into the league by finishing 2nd whilst they walked into the league by finishing 6th and a long way behind us? Err, OK.
If you've ever spent any time in that little rats nest of an away end on the BBS, this is fairly typical of the level of debate you get from the sad deformed urban pustules who infest that board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here