Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Great piece on Mr Bloom in The Telegraph today

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't read that insidious crap paper - worse than the Mail, Express, Sun and the rest. At least those are completely overt in their bigotry.
Whereas the Telegraph writes always just below the surface, using negatives, half truths and misinformation to spread the word.

Sorry, got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.
Actually the sports reporting in the Telegraph has always been good. (You can read the article if you turn off JavaScript)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Wouldn't read that insidious crap paper - worse than the Mail, Express, Sun and the rest. At least those are completely overt in their bigotry.
Whereas the Telegraph writes always just below the surface, using negatives, half truths and misinformation to spread the word.

Sorry, got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.
Telegraph has excellent journalism on the war in Ukraine though. I guess it depends a lot on one's focus and interests... I certainly dislike EVERY paper for SOMETHING 😂👍

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I like the reader comment that we should revisit this article after next season when Brighton have been relegated. I know that you can never predict anything with certainty but I would be absolutely staggered if we went down next year.

I wonder if it was the same person who commented in the Argus that Brighton would go bust after building the stadium as they had no chance of reaching the break-even attendance of 13,000
Must be the same person. I mean , what are chances of two Palace fans being able to read and write , let alone send an email?

TNBA

TTF

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
As noted above, this is not news to Brighton fans but the article provides an excellent summary.

Section from Paul Barber encapsulates his value and how exceptionally good he and the club are at managing their staff and strategy. The unusual responses and messages he gives to Albion fans privately and publicly are not his strong point - he'd be better off saying less on most of those occasions - but the rest of his work seems outstanding.

“No matter how much we push up the table, get closer to silverware for the first time in the club’s 120 years history, there is always going to be a bigger and richer club,” says Barber, who stresses that mistakes are also inevitable and acknowledged. But he is adamant that grown up behaviour like laying on a welcoming home ale for opposition fans – “we want them to spend money with us” – and treating even departing players well is actually all to Brighton’s long-term benefit.

“Our values are: Aim high, treat people with respect, exceed expectations, act with integrity, and make it special,” he says. “We don’t embrace these values because we are soft. We are trying to think of the future. Football is a small industry relatively-speaking. If we get a good reputation for treating people well, giving them the opportunity to progress if the circumstances are right, we have more opportunity to bring top quality players and staff in. Football clubs shouldn’t be prison camps.”

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I just clicked the link and as soon as the read only option comes up - before the page fully loaded - I clicked on that and can read the whole article. I don't have a Telegraph subscription (y)
Webpage Archive was my friend................. :thumbsup:
I like the reader comment that we should revisit this article after next season when Brighton have been relegated. I know that you can never predict anything with certainty but I would be absolutely staggered if we went down next year.

I wonder if it was the same person who commented in the Argus that Brighton would go bust after building the stadium as they had no chance of reaching the break-even attendance of 13,000
......... but unfortunately, although Webpage Archive enables you to read the article it only shows the link to the comments, but it is not active.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Good article.
Click refresh then X before it finishes refreshing usually works given the low quality coders that work in media.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
"Newcastle fans still oblivious to this and continue to wank themselves silly over the success of our transfer profits in the mistaken belief that all of our players have been personally discovered by Dan Ashworth during his 2.5 years with us."

So where does Dan Ashworth's (or any other leavers) talent end and the data/methodology begin? If you push this to the limits, does it matter who we put in place*?

*clearly it does, but I'm struggling to understand the impact of, say, Dan Ashworth leaving on the club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ashworth is much more about the operational side, strategy , building youth / women’s sides etc. transfers were under him and he had a part but ultimately Winstanley still headed it up, they just changed how they conducted it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some take outs:

- Barber/Bloom have identified 25 key roles within the entire club. They have an evolving list of names to replace any of them at any one time.
I thought this point was very interesting. Anyone want to hazard a guess at the 25?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Telegraph has excellent journalism on the war in Ukraine though. I guess it depends a lot on one's focus and interests... I certainly dislike EVERY paper for SOMETHING 😂👍
Telegraph sports reporting is excellent, but I can’t stomach much of the rest of the paper. But I agree they all have issues. I still have a Times subscription but it gets more tabloidy every day. But I love Atherton and Syed’s writing so haven’t given it up yet.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
"What rubbish . All newspapers have agendas to a degree . Yes even the Guardian !"

The Guardian hasn't gone as batshit crazy as the Telegraph though. Did you see its front page photo the other day 'proving' Prince Andrew wasn't a nonce?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Telegraph sports reporting is excellent, but I can’t stomach much of the rest of the paper. But I agree they all have issues. I still have a Times subscription but it gets more tabloidy every day. But I love Atherton and Syed’s writing so haven’t given it up.
I’ve got a Telegraph subscription, for some unknown reason a lot cheaper than others pay.

Fantastic for sports, money, business, travel, skiing, Ukraine, US and news.

I’ve never clicked on Opinion and rarely politics.

IMHO, in contrast to the Daily Mail, Mirror, Express and sometimes the Guardian, the Telegraph doesn’t try to subtly or unsubtly force their views on you IF you avoid Opinion/UK politics.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I remember the Guardian for several weeks after 911 was still trying to make excuses for terrorism coming out of Iran / Syria and indeed has only recently come to terms with the fact that Russia is indeed an enemy of the west , long after most other media acknowledged that fact .

The guardian is especially good at arts and sport but it’s world view is still that of an idealistic student . The telegraph or Times are far more sensible newspapers for grown ups .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember the Guardian for several weeks after 911 was still trying to make excuses for terrorism coming out of Iran / Syria and indeed has only recently come to terms with the fact that Russia is indeed an enemy of the west , long after most other media acknowledged that fact .

The guardian is especially good at arts and sport but it’s world view is still that of an idealistic student . The telegraph or Times are far more sensible newspapers for grown ups .
The Guardian also almost refused to analysis governments failing across Europe during the Pandemic, instead on a mission to propagandise against the UK response. That's shit journalism. Thank god therefore for worldindata, worldometer, the FT, the Economist and fantastic websites across the continent.

In the end papers pulling a one-eyed stunt become a parody.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here